Tiger vs 650 V-Strom

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MMasz, Aug 12, 2013.

1. MMasz

MMasz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m still looking for a replacement for the DRZ400S I was riding to replace the bike which was stolen. I can’t say took a liking to the DRZ as I felt like it was unstable maybe because it was a thumper and had d/s tires. Anyway, I’d like some opinions on the Tiger 800 vs the 650 V-strom. There are left over ’12 models which can be had for decent $$$ and the price differential between the two is about $1000.00.

I’ll be riding on road and occasional light off-road (fire service roads, etc). Probably my main criteria is dependability (since I have 4 kids and no time for fixing stuff I shouldn’t have to. Your comments are welcome on these two or any other suggestion.
  2. dman

dman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I own a first-generation 650 VStrom with 45K miles and have taken a brief ride on a Tiger 800 "roadie". The Triumph felt better in almost every aspect ... smoother, more power, better suspension and brakes, etc. However, the current '12 Wee is supposed to be marginally better than the first-gen bikes. That said, the Wee will get better fuel range and mileage, and most likely be cheaper to run (maintenance, repairs, price of farkles). That plus a $1000 head start could make the Wee the "better" choice. Two of my favorite features of the Wee are the 250-300 mile tank range, and the low-profile of the bike. Some call it boring; to me it just allows you to focus on the journey and not the machine.

-dman
  3. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    More fun? Triumph hands down. Lower initial price and very likely lower maintenance costs? Wee, hands down. Somewhere in between? You'll have to figure out which suits you better.

Check the ergos out on both. The Tiger has more legroom, but you lean forward a fair amount...the wee is more upright but has less legroom. Spend time on both before making a decision.
  4. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 XC model with the 21" front wheel. I am coming from a XR650L. Sounds like you are doing the same riding I do. Personally, I have never, ever liked the V-Strom. Just doesn't do anything for me, dont get me wrong, I have riding buddies that ride them and they love em. The Tiger on the other hand is an amazing machine, like others have said the only real issue is the placement of the handlebars. Which is a inexpensive fix with ROX risers. Test ride both and you decide which puts the bigger smile on your face!

Chris
  5. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 2006 Wee has been bullet-proof....

Just completed a 3,000 mile ride through the monsoon of CO, UT, AZ and NM.

It ticked over 50,000 miles during the ride.

I also own a Bonneville... the closest dealership is 45 miles away...

The Bonny has been to the shop twice in 2.5 years... the dealership screwed up both times... won't get a third chance. Am considering swapping the Bonny for an FZ8 or maybe the new FZ9.

When the Wee is worn out, I may well replace it with another Wee.

Airborne... All the Way.

NFE
  6. jethomas

jethomas Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've owned two Wee Stroms. An '07 and my current '11. Loved both, but always felt something was lacking. I am picking up my T800 roadie today. It has that undefinable something that I was looking for. Realistically, however, I find it handles much better, is more comfortable (for me), needs fewer mods to make it "mine" and quite frankly, and a little sheepishly, I feel it's just cooler than the Wee. The Wee is a fine motorcycle and will do almost anything that you ask of it quite capably and in the long run will be less expensive to own. But, there is just something about the Tiger. In the end, it's your butt in the seat so ride what puts the biggest smile on your face.
  7. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    +1

I think the V-Strom is the KLR of Beasts.....:lol3
  8. Gobius

Gobius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your main criterion really is reliability (mine is), then the Strom is your bike.
  9. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've owned both with my current ride being the Tiger 800. The wee strom is a fine motorcycle, but is a rather dull and soul-less appliance. The Tiger has some quirks, but is generally very entertaining and reliable. For only a grand difference there really is no decision. Honestly, though the price difference between the two should be a couple of grand unless the wee is the loaded up adventure version, then there is more of a decision to be made.
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    When Triumph came out with the 800's, I just new the Roadie wold be my next bike. Maybe I expected to much. I went and looked at it, and it did nothing for me. I tried to throw a leg over, and busted my shin on the passenger grab handle. Once I did get on it, it just didn't feel right. I walked away.

Fast forward to June of '13, and I am test riding a left over 2012 DL650 Adventure. I liked everything about it. It was comfortable, made plenty of power, the suspension felt good, the seat felt good, ergos were good. I bought it, and have 4500 miles later, I have no regrets.

Some folks say it's boring - I have no idea where they are coming from. If you twist her tail, she will scream! I passed a pickup and a car last Saturday. The truck was big, and I did not realize there was no room for me to pull in between the truck and the car - and there was a car coming from the other direction. I just gassed it and she screamed by, we were over 80 when I pulled back into my lane. We got the pass done with room to spare.

Also I am a big guy. I took my wife for a ride on it the other day, and it had no problem carrying the two of us.

Also I think if you compare 1/4 mile stats of the DL650 vs the Triumph 800 vs the BMW 800, you will find the Suzuki is not far off the pace of the bigger bikes. About .3 if I remember correctly.

I am very happy with my DL650.
  11. GtiKyle

GtiKyle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    http://www.zeroto60times.com/Motorcycle-0-60-mph-Times.html

according to this website:

0-60 1/4 mile
    DL650 3.5 12.4
    800XC 5.6 12.7
    F800GS 3.8 12.4

that 0-60 number on the 800XC doesn't look right to me, but that's what the websiter says. I would think it would be pretty equally matched to the BMW. What is surprising is that the DL650 is competitive with the 800's.
  13. Dabber65

Dabber65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 Vstrom 650 and I love it! I don't think there's a bad choice between the 2. good luck!
  14. Pecha72

Pecha72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a comparo, where the Glee-Stroms acceleration & 1/4 mile figures were pretty much on par with the F650GS twin (=800cc engine). The "real" F800GS has more top end, so I am a bit surprised, if it's not ahead.

But these bikes are not about performance numbers.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I think those numbers illustrate the stupidly tall 1st gear on the tiger.
    Jack D likes this.
  16. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I would expect the 800's to be faster than the DL650. I was surprised to learn that they were not much faster though.

but it's like you said, these bikes are not about numbers.
  17. St. Arbucks

St. Arbucks Looking for clues... Supporter

Oddometer:
    When comparing the Wee-Strom with the Tiger 800, you have to consider the heat issue with the Tiger.

Which...I know many people will argue does not exist. Let's accept, for the moment, that it does. (Also check Motorcycle USA's Tiger 800 XC Comparison article here, for their observations of the Tiger's heat:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/256/11080/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Triumph-Tiger-800-XC-Comparison.aspx)

I had a wee for many years. I also have a Honda ST-1300. I recently picked up a Tiger 800 XC.

I used to ride the Wee during hot summer months when it was just too doggone hot to ride the ST (a known leg-cooker). I admired how the Wee pulled along stoutly, very smooth at highway speed and cool during triple digit weather. It was excellent for channeling heat away from the rider.

I cannot say the same for the Tiger. In 90+ weather, at slower speeds, I find the heat intolerable. At highway speeds, I can live with it.

Obviously, YMMV. I am NOT trying to start another Tiger-heat thread, only to tell the Op that heat might be an issue depending on his locale and personal tolerance.

The Wee is far superior in the area of heat management.
  18. Mtneer

Mtneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at both of these bikes, had been going back and forth over which one to buy, I bought a 2012 800 Road, it was demo, saved 2k over new, new generation Wee's are selling for $7745 OTD(plus T&T), the price difference was $1255 between the 2 bikes. I had owned an 06 Wee already, which I sold when I bought an 09 Street Triple R, still have it and a 2011 Daytona, I like the triples. The 800 doesn't make the power the 675's do but it still makes @ least 20HP on the Wee, for my intended purpose the Tiger was better suited. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike, just one is going to cost you more up front, as for reliability, my 675's have been great, STR has 14k, Daytona pushing 8k, reg/rectifier were recalled but neither had failed, the closest Triumph dealer to me is 120 miles away, if I need something, order and ship it, if I need service on something that I can't fix or warranty work, I'll take it back to the dealer I purchased all 3 bikes from, small family run place, mechanic is top notch, the dealer is honest, a rarity these days. I missed out on a deal on 2012 Wee, $6545 new, or I would be riding orange instead of venom yellow, to me it was almost a toss up.
  19. invicta1

invicta1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those times are wrong. Perhaps the 650 and the XC were switched. Quarter is 3 something. Worst 1/4 I've seen from tests is ~12.2.
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice MC_Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for creating this thread!
    _
    It did not take long for me to relieaze that for my personality, the 2012+ DL would be the right 19" tire bike for my adventure touring needs.

I like the overall look of the Tiger. But, that is because there is a skid plate of sorts. The DL looks good also, but the exposed under belly looks really horriable. I'd go with the Weld86 skid plate before the $287 under cowl that does nothing from damage from below.

The Tiger has better city manners and off-roading manners:
    1. narrow wheell base of the Tiger.
    DL 61.4" vs 60.2" of Tiger.

2. I like how the seat can be lowered with the Tiger down to 31.9"
    But, I'd be fine on the DL's 32.9" seat height.

3. The width of the bike: Tiger is 31.3" and the DL 32.9"

4. ABS can be turned off. So really good for off-roading for the Tiger.
    I'd be spending maybe 20% of my time off road, and 90% of that would be well groomed roads that a car could travel on. It's the last 10% that would cause me problems. But, everything I've read says the DL actually has ABS that is none intrusive on the dirt.

5. Tiger has better suspension. Front: 7", Rear 6.7" or so. The DL is 5.? front and 6.? in the rear.

I'm really impressed with how light the Tiger is. For having three pistons and stuff, the bike is nearly ten lbs lighter than the DL. But the DL holds about 2.5lbs more of fuel, or .3 gallons, plus tank mass to hold it.

Holy shit, if I wanted to splurge, I'd go Tiger all the way. I never mintioned the butter smooth engine and transmisson of the tiger. "magic carpet ride" feel of the ride.

However, I'm a frugal guy. Like the pack mule that she is, the Suzuki would out distance the Tiger by miles and miles.

With the initial savings on the 13 models: Tiger: $10,999 DL $8,499.
    The $2,500 would go along way on the great low maintence of the Suzuki, and paying for the $187 skid plate.

I'd be riding at speeds well below 75mph, so the Strom would be fine. In fact, the 6th gear in speeds around 50mph would be money for approacing the 60mpg zone. I'm trying to avoid interstates on my touring.

I'm not really a horse power guy, so going real fast is not part of the journey. So the HP on the Tiger would not really be used and waisted on me.
    ___
    I'm glad the Tiger is around. Great choices for the consumers.