Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Habibi Rocks

Habibi Rocks Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan !!!!!

[​IMG]
  2. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Depends which route you are taking in Baja. I'm planning on SON 40 from the San Luis crossing to MEX 5 and south to San Felipe/Alfonsinas/Coco's corner then MEX 1.

If you are planning to head south via MEX 3 to Ensenada then the Tecate crossing may make more sense.

I'm trailering my bike from the Pacific North Wet and will be leaving my car in Yuma.
  3. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its easy and safe; everything all together with safe parking.
  4. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:

:thumb thanks
  5. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I found one - the Sahara, seems OK, $33 and about a 10 minute walk to the main drag. I checked out the Cortez but too pricey for me.

When are you coming down?
  6. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I crossed the border at Tecate today. It was super easy, just rode straight through the US side and immediately was in town. Where the hell is Mexican immigration? I saw nothing that looked like an immigration office immediately after crossing. I'd read somewhere that at some crossings the Mexican offices are some way inside the border, so I figured that must be the case here too, so hit the road to Ensenada. Turns out it was TOO easy, I met a Swiss couple here on an Africa Twin, who had found the immigration office in Tecate. They said the only way they found it was a soldier was standing out the front. I was expecting a gate or something, so I must have blown straight past.

I'm on an Australian passport, so I do need a visa, as well as the TVIP - can anyone confirm that it's ok to get both of these at the immigration office in Ensenada? I don't want them to get pissed off with me for being in the country without a visa!

Alternatively I go back to Tecate and pretend I just arrived...

Thanks
  7. norschweger

norschweger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks!
    After some months of "detours" : ) all over BC, Yukon and Alaska I am now in Colorado and thinking about the further way towards South America. I would love to read all this thread about Mexico but I have to sleep sometimes : ).
    My questions to you experienced fellows:
    -which direction should I aim at, considering border crossing and places to go to?
    -the TVIP: my bike is registred in Canada, using the adress of friends, but I am German. I do have the Canadian insurance papers with my name and the mentioned Canadian adress, but no title (maybe it is at my friends`place by now- I will ask). Could that be a problem?
    -this insurance expires in december. Does that play any role considering that I want to get a Mexican one anyway?
    any suggestions which one to take?

I am looking forward to any helpful answers!
    Thanks a lot!
    Toby
  8. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Consider the Central or Pacific coast routes. Probably central is more scenic with Copper Canyon. Best to have title and Mexico insurance in hand when you cross.
    Have a safe ride.
  9. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone else having trouble with photobucket? I cant get to the download and the recent activity has a wheel that just keeps spinning.
  10. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Synthetic oil is available all over Mexico in the modern autoparts stores
    like Autozone et al, at Soriana, Walmart and many of the small Tiendas de
    Autopartes . Just look around if you must have it. Not sold at barrel gas
    suppliers

Norschweger, you may not have a "title" if the bike is registered in Canada . "TITLE" is a USA peculiarity.
    The Canadian provincial vehicle registries (Ontario is my example) only issue an "ownership and registration" which is your proof that you have the rights to the bike and are allowed to use it legally without worries about being charged with having a stolen vehicle . This is all I have ever required to travel through Mexico and Central America
    Nowhere was I ever asked to show Canadian insurance papers, they are worthless in Mexico and beyond and have no use for proving ownership.
    The IMPORTANT thing is to have the same name on your Passport, your Drivers License , the motorcycle ownership and registration and your CREDIT CARD.
    Your Canadian insurance is valid in the USA up to the date it expires. If the cops stop you after that date in the USA you may have a problem in states where liability insurance is compulsory .
    You must buy liability for MEXICO before you cross the border.It is sold at many points in the US and it comes in a variety of types.
    You can buy LIABILITY for a short trip of known time duration which lists yourname and the motorcycle VIN
    This gets pricy for long durations.
    You can buy "Drivers License " (DL) insurance for public liability which lists your name and drivers license number only and gives you the choice of taking a car or a bike into Mexico under the same policy.You can buy this for a FULL YEAR at a price which is less than a month for the VIN dedicated insurance.
    There are varous sources for the DL insurance some cost less than others but some also will not cover motorcycles ,so investigate.

I just renewed my own DL policy for an entire year yesterday after being re-assured that it does cover bikes. For the grand sum of $163.60 I have coverage of $100 000 for liability, $50 000 for legal assistance and Travel Assistance in case of accident and mechanical breakdown where the vehicle is inoperable.My source is MexUS Insurance Services ,Inc easily found on the web.
    In a single year I make a car trip and one or two motorcycle trips ,sometimes on two different bikes , and I am covered all the time by the single DL policy
    If you are planning on spending more than 34 days traversing and enjoying Mexico this DL package is all you need and a money saver.
    Of course fire theft and catastrophic loss of the bike are not included in this price. Most insurance companies shy away from this comprehensive insurance for bikes , or if offered they will ask a fortune. You can live with the risk if you ride sensibly and keep an eye on the bike, park in secure areas etc etc.
  11. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know about the Visa but you are good with no TVIP as long as you are in Baja. I have heard from other RR's that you can get the TVIP in La Paz before you board the ferry for the mainland. Prolly otta get visa taken care of pretty soon.
  12. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd :clap Priceless info on insurance.

Norschweger: radioman reported that he had to show the original title to his bike when he went into, Bolivia I think. If you are planning to head farther south it looks like you need to have some kind of original ownership certificate with all of the provisos mentioned by Sjoerd. I have been told that, for US Americans, we need to show only the original vehicle registration. I am not clear about why these countries want you to have the original title. If I wanted to try to sell my vehicle in CA or SA I would have to have the title. If they don't want me to try to sell the vehicle why do they require me to carry the document I need to do so? Just wondering.
  13. norschweger

Oddometer:
    WOW! Thanks a lot for this detailed info! I really appreciate that a lot!
    Do you have a scandinavian background,btw? (your name)
    Sounds all good!

Norschweger, you may not have a "title" if the bike is registered in Canada . "TITLE" is a USA peculiarity.
    The Canadian provincial vehicle registries (Ontario is my example) only issue an "ownership and registration" which is your proof that you have the rights to the bike and are allowed to use it legally without worries about being charged with having a stolen vehicle . This is all I have ever required to travel through Mexico and Central America
    Nowhere was I ever asked to show Canadian insurance papers, they are worthless in Mexico and beyond and have no use for proving ownership.
    The IMPORTANT thing is to have the same name on your Passport, your Drivers License , the motorcycle ownership and registration and your CREDIT CARD.
    Your Canadian insurance is valid in the USA up to the date it expires. If the cops stop you after that date in the USA you may have a problem in states where liability insurance is compulsory .
    You must buy liability for MEXICO before you cross the border.It is sold at many points in the US and it comes in a variety of types.
    You can buy LIABILITY for a short trip of known time duration which lists yourname and the motorcycle VIN
    This gets pricy for long durations.
    You can buy "Drivers License " (DL) insurance for public liability which lists your name and drivers license number only and gives you the choice of taking a car or a bike into Mexico under the same policy.You can buy this for a FULL YEAR at a price which is less than a month for the VIN dedicated insurance.
    There are varous sources for the DL insurance some cost less than others but some also will not cover motorcycles ,so investigate.

I just renewed my own DL policy for an entire year yesterday after being re-assured that it does cover bikes. For the grand sum of $163.60 I have coverage of $100 000 for liability, $50 000 for legal assistance and Travel Assistance in case of accident and mechanical breakdown where the vehicle is inoperable.My source is MexUS Insurance Services ,Inc easily found on the web.
    In a single year I make a car trip and one or two motorcycle trips ,sometimes on two different bikes , and I am covered all the time by the single DL policy
    If you are planning on spending more than 34 days traversing and enjoying Mexico this DL package is all you need and a money saver.
    Of course fire theft and catastrophic loss of the bike are not included in this price. Most insurance companies shy away from this comprehensive insurance for bikes , or if offered they will ask a fortune. You can live with the risk if you ride sensibly and keep an eye on the bike, park in secure areas etc etc.[/QUOTE]
  14. norschweger

Oddometer:
  15. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
    I hate the idea of having my title anywhere near my vehicle. Should it get into someone else's hands, it sure would make it easy for someone to sign my vehicle over to himself!
  16. norschweger

Oddometer:
    It will be the central part, just received a link from nice hotel owners...
    Thank you!
  17. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was worried about the same issue but have come to the conclusion unless I sign the title over to a new owner it would still be classified as theft.. From what I understand a signed registration will suffice in almost any situation. I figure I will pack the title somewhere safe and only pull it out if specifically asked for it.
  18. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have heard a couple different takes on this.. Can you clarify if you need a TVIP if you go into Baja Sur? I've heard if you stay North its not an issue, but if you ride through the Southern portion you need one..
  19. operaflute

operaflute Starving Artist

Oddometer:
    Perhaps even better to pack it AND a copy, and pull out the copy first. Will probably do that for all my documents.

20. Snownut

Snownut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that's an excellent idea.. I normally take copies for everything else, why not the title? Maybe a color copy wouldn't arouse any suspicions.. The only issue might be if your bike were stolen and the original title happened to be packed away safely on the bike.. ;)