BMW and Hardleys

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by mwood7800, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    HD make little ones for girly girls, though.
  2. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Beautiful bike, I'll bet it handles the curve very well. :wink:I can only imagine riding that thing down main street Lake Wobegone... what must the neighbors think?:lol3
  3. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no accounting for it.
  4. rudolf35

rudolf35 Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer:
    Just to stirr up this thread, let me throw in the riders age factor. Having been on two wheels for 50 years, ridden just about every major brand, I find myself drawn to BMW and H-D.

The airhead I own is my time machine. Back to the days of simpler bikes; less performance but a ton of smiles per miles. The two H-D's I own are my daily riders and touring bikes. Each mark has never given me issues and each has a charm/flaw of it's own. Personally I think that each mark gives what seasoned ( OK, old ) riders look for. Dependability, reasonable performance and each mark can be easily setup for the individual's needs.

I personally think, that once a rider gets over the "having to be fastes and biggest" reliable and comfortable gives way to all other considerations.

:hide
  5. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

The bike does stand out a bit as the majority of bikes here are cruiser & H-D touring types. I tell the Harley boys at work that the Duc is a v-twin, but doesn't need to be rubber mounted, etc. About all I get are blank looks, motorcycling to them means H-D, or cruiser type bikes. I don't understand the mentality, but I guess that I am just as closed minded but in the opposite sense in that I cannot understand the appeal of the feet forward, low slung, cruiser design.

I got the chance to put a couple thousand miles on it last fall with a trip out to the Black Hills and a two day run over the passes of the Big Horns, great fun. Am currently working up a plan for a trip to the west coast in the spring.

cheers, melby
  6. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:

says the ducati fan in the BMW/Hardly thread....:norton
  7. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:

I agree, however, I do like the fact that my RT is pretty quick and big to go with the "comfort" part . Especially the cruise and heated seats and grips. And the adjustable windscreen. And satellite radio. All while chasing crotch rockets with the cases onboard. Life is great !! :clap
  8. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    5 pages of Hardly-Ableson debate? Must be too cold to ride in some places, boredom is h*ll [​IMG]
  9. Clint Taurus

Clint Taurus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Harley this, BMW that. my dick is bigger than yours, I can piss farther than you, my dad can whip your dad.
    How many times does this horse have to be beaten into glue?
    I had BMW's then HD's, both are good depending what your use is I.E. right tool for the job.
    speaking of tools...you tools can resume the discussion now!
  10. zataomm

zataomm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And to think this thread started 5 pages ago with a drunken incoherent ramble typed in from a phone.
  11. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the core of the rant is an interesting thought. What is it that makes a bike right for someone? Rational thought is a process that occurs after a decision is made. Just an attempt to make sense of something that makes a different kind of sense. Perhaps it isn't speed, handling, comfort, ease of maintenance, crisp response or attention getting ability that makes a motorcycle right for someone. I wonder if sound and rhythm, percussion, the right vibration, or just the quality of the machine are as important. I have never owned a BMW, although I have wanted one since I was a teenager. I can tell without riding a HD that the long legged, low slung, slow turning engine would have a strong physical appeal. Some bikes just have it, and when I get to this point I can only refer to Robert Pirsig. Quality. Awesomeness.Different aspects and different riders.
  12. BadKarma

Oddometer:
    Give me a shout if you come thru Colorado Melby, I'll show you over one or two of our favorite roads... :ear
  13. BadKarma

Oddometer:
    Magic words, BMW, Harley Davidson...:deal
  14. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    To me rational thought has nothing to do with motorcycling. It is a purely emotional thing. And for me it needs to be a very visceral, primitive experience. Smooth and quiet are not what I think motorcycles should be (yes my Goldwing is smooth and quiet, and drop dead boring. But I use it as part of another activity I like. Traveling. An Electra Glide would make travel way more fun, but you cannot get one, especially in really nice condition, for $5500. If I could buy new, I would absolutely take the Harley over the Goldwing. Fortunately I have a couple of other bikes that satisfy what I need and want a motorcycle for. And they are the ones I'm always playing and tinkering with. The GW is just one huge piece of plastic with a really comfortable seat. I do not plan to keep it forever, but it beats traveling in a car.
  15. MOGWA

MOGWA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I put a bunch of miles on seven different BMW's. Three of them were R90S's. After taking a year off from riding to let the lower back fusion heal I went looking for a new bike. I wanted simplicity,air cooling,comfort,something not too heavy and just modern enough to be reliable. The 2007 Harley Superglide worked for me. Put on a Mustang seat,a set of detachable bags and a Sportech 14" detachable windscreen and ended up with a versatile street/touring bike. I don't love it the way I did my 76 R90S(best bike ever made IMHO),but I like it a LOT!
  16. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Did you enter some type of 12 step program? :lol3
  17. pmelby

pmelby Home Brew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dang, I totally missed that reference to our only curve.:lol3

Just getting a bit more tolerant in my old age (52 in a couple of weeks:deal). I might be joing the aftermarket exhaust crowd with a MIVV setup for the Mutly. I'll probably leave the dB killer in as I don't enjoy annoying the public.

cheers,
    melby
  18. BadKarma

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I didn't KNOW that, just guessed. I think those old timers threw in a curve every so often out of boredom as much as anything... :rofl

I can see it now, run thru the curve, u-turn, run thru the curve... I guess flickable bikes aren't really in demand?
  19. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:

Cool, well here's an early happy birthday to you man !! :freaky
  20. E N Arizona

E N Arizona Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like just about any motorcycle. I currently own an Ultra Classic Electra Glide and it is great for 1,000 mile days. I plan to add a BMW and do some adventure riding. You can't go wrong either way. The main thing is to get out and ride what ever you own.