Zumo 450 cigarette lighter adapter question

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by leigh, May 26, 2009.

1. leigh

leigh wishes she were riding

Oddometer:
    All,

This seems like a ridiculously simple question, but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere (and I promise, I did search this site). I'm looking for a cigarette lighter to garmin 4-pin plug adapter for my zumo 450 (using its standard mount). Will the Garmin part number 010-10085 work http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-010-10085-00-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter/dp/B00005B8M3 ? The Zumo isn't listed as one of the models, but it looks right. If no, any other suggestions? I'd rather not hardwire or rewire for a powerlet or do some mass cigarette-powerlet-zumo adapter cable shenanigans.

Thanks in advance!
    Leigh
  2. Mike in Atlanta

Mike in Atlanta Oh Noes

Oddometer:
  3. leigh

leigh wishes she were riding

Oddometer:
    The cradle the comes with the Zumo 450 motorcycle ram mount uses a 4 pin plug. I want to use that cradle.
  4. Mike in Atlanta

Mike in Atlanta Oh Noes

Oddometer:

Doh! sorry about that I was looking at my car mount cradle which is a different plug.

The bike mount indeed uses a small 4 pin plug but not the one you linked which is the older "big" plug. I have not seen a cig. power cord for the bike mount anywhere and I believe garmin only sells a hardwire cord which you could of course add your own cig lighter plug on the end of it.

This cord is the only thing I have seen, doesnt mean someone doesnt make it though.

http://www.amazon.com/GARMIN-MOTORC...3XP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1243820465&sr=8-2
  5. Rabid

Rabid Comanche

Oddometer:
    I ordered one when I bought my Garmin 450. It did not fit meaning it was not the correct cable. Garmin was no help in finding the correct cable as they said the 450 is a discontinued model.

I sent it back to Amazon and bought one at Best Buy. I took the Cradle into Best Buy and they fitted it for me. Cost was less then $22.00

However, this is a back up for my hard wired Garmin mount.
  6. huggybear

huggybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:

You can put a cigar plug on Your factory wires, but the wires are really lite, If You have the original wires hardwired to One bike then ,Powerlet sells the same wires on their site
  7. VStromNC

VStromNC DNS/DNF

Oddometer:
    I made my own about a year ago. I have the Zumo power hardwired on my Vee and I use the cig cable to power the Zumo on my KLX650C. All I do is swap the cradle from one Ram mount to another.

I bought a cig lighter socket with trailing wires, I think from Wally World, and I simply soldered the wires, taped with bit of strain relief and even used the existing fused portion. I also purchased a hardwire for the Zumo either from Amazon or Garmin. Don't remember exactly what I paid but it was probably in the $20's with shipping. Total, I probably spent low 20's. This setup has been super reliable since I don't have small wires soldered in the lighter socket that could pull out. Over a year of dirt riding and no issues so far.

[​IMG]

Jon
  8. roundtripping

roundtripping Adventourist

Oddometer:
    The Powerlet folks make custom cables if you ask them. I just sent off a note to them asking them to make me one with the bike cradle connector on one end and the 2-in-1 Powerlet/cigarette socket plug on the other. Best of all worlds :deal