New Brewery!

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by levain, Jan 19, 2009.

1. tootal

tootal Backroad traveler

Oddometer:
    If you need to change regulators then get one with an adjustment knob. The ones with the screw means you need a screw driver or something to turn it. It makes it so much easier just you have the knob to turn. I still have the screw type and everytime I need to change pressure I kick myself!!
  2. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
  3. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    So I just bottled a NB kit called "The Number 8". It is a dark Belgian similar to Rochefort 8.

I have read the reviews and they said what I found. At bottling it is quite hot. You can REALLY taste the alcohol and it is only about 7.9%.
    I am sure it will mellow in the coming weeks.

My question is WHY? Why is it so forward and how does it mellow?

My wife asked, and I did not know the answer.....
  4. discochris

discochris Stayin' Alive

Oddometer:
    Sometimes the Twin Cities, Sometimes NW Wisconsin
    Mine is in a weird little room back behind the bar where the sump pump is (well, where it is NOW - there wasn't one when we moved in - long story) and the tap is on the back wall of the bar. I just keep a small screwdriver back there as well as a wrench to swap out the CO2 tank.
  5. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    I keep mine at 10-12 psi also and get perfect flow through about 5+ foot lines, so it definitely needs to be below 18.

I just upgraded recently to a new kegerator and regulator, and now have this one:

[​IMG]

working well so far, and I like seeing how much is left in the co2 tank.

by the way, if you're dealing with o'shea's, I would look elsewhere for co2 refills. they keep it warm, and it doesn't seem to fill all the way. I was constantly refilling, and verified no leaks. after a refill at a welding gas supply, where they fill it at a freezing temp, it lasted much longer.

I'm also trying the while polypropylene lines in my new kegerator (ice maker lines). tough to get on the fitting, but seems to work well and no taste issues. anyone else try these?

I got pretty good at foam elimination, so let me know if you need any help as I'm nearby.
  6. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man that is purddy I like the easy dial pressure adjuster.I have to use a screwdriver.
  7. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have check valves in there gas lines?
  8. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link now to order a few of the shutoff valves with built in checks:D
  10. Dansrc51

Dansrc51 I need a cape....

Oddometer:
    I picked up a second CO2 tank at Industrial supply this week. The lady told me a pressure gauge showing tank volume was useless as CO2 is filled as a liquid and comes out as a gas (cold fill). She said it would always show full until empty, then drop to 0. So I just bought the gauge for regulation and set it at 10 PSI. Not sure how true that is, but the last few times I've changed a tank I can't remember it getting progressively lower. Anybody else have that experience?

On the subject of keezers, I'll show you mine if you show me yours :D

[​IMG]

1947 International Harvester. yes, it's horribly inefficient, but it looked to cool to pass up

I built a dual stage temperature controller for about $30, so I can lager or ferment if I want to.
  11. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    Most of those beers contain a specific yeast added at bottling. This is done for several reasons, the first being natural carbonation to give a softer mouth feel, as opposed to forced CO2 carbing. Another reason is that yeast is chosen specifically to compliment the flavors of the beer, and as it ages mellows out the profile by continuing to do its thing in the bottle. As it breaks down more of the complex sugars and opens up more of the flavor, the alcohol becomes less hot and more subtle. There are many more reasons to age a beer, but for that particular brand that's what I know.
  12. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    awesome!

here's a piece of mine. gotta get a better pic of the perlicks.:evil
    [​IMG]
  13. mud

mud I just wander.....

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I did a bit of reading as well. The "hot" alcohol is a more complex alcohol that needs to be broken down. In this type of beer it is desirable to have some of them, but not enough to make it taste hot. They mellow out over time as the longer chains are broken.
  14. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:
    More pics!

I keep looking on craigslist for an old fridge to make into a hot rod kegerator. Hard to find these days!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
  15. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they are getting harder to find. when I brought this one home, it repeatedly shocked my wife until I rewired it. :lol3
  16. Dansrc51

Oddometer:
    That is a thing of beauty. I love Perlic faucets, they are nicely crafted. As a bonus if you work the taps at slight opening they will pour with an almost nitro like agitation of the CO2. We have them at the brewey (brothers place) but I haven't installed them yet. Love it, classic white and chrome. They don't make them like they used to
  17. Nytelyte

Nytelyte Somewhere about

Oddometer:
    For my birthday this year, my wife got me a full set of different beer glasses that she's engraved, some printed caps and labels, and made me this SWEET notebook.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Full hops comparisons and substitution charts, glassware schema, and brewing and tasting sheets all divided by slip sheets to put the recipe sheets that come with the kits.

I'm a lucky lucky man. :freaky

Brewed a pumpkin the other night. Started with the kit from Midwest, added 3lb DME, 1 additional cup brown sugar, 1 oz bittering, 60oz pumpkin (recipe is 30oz), some clove, nutmeg and a stick of cinnamon into the primary.
    Came out at 1.075, rigged a blowoff and it went nuts for 3 solid days. My office smells awesome. :D
  18. bergermeister

bergermeister Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks man. many guys drill the door for the taps, but I think it looks cleaner in the side. I'm very happy with the perlicks so far.

what brewery does your brother own?
  19. Shunka

Shunka Supervision Required

Oddometer:
    Bergermeister. Thanks for the info. Sorry I didn't respond sooner, had a busy couple of days.

I did indeed fill at osheas. Gonna head up there today and take my regulator and CO2 with me and see if they think it's bad. Pickup a new one and some other stuff as well.

Thanks for the offer of assistance as well. If the new regulator doesn't fix this I might need your assistance! Thanks again.
  20. fifthcircle

fifthcircle Beer Knurd

Oddometer:

That's about as clean of the kegerator as I've ever seen! Well done!!

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.