My 950 Adventure Revamp project

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by airwater, Dec 5, 2012.

1. airwater

airwater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Being too much of a consumer rather than producer on this forum over the years, it's time to put something back. I may not be the first person to do this on here but here goes...

I have a 2003 (one of the first off the production line in fact) silver version and after taking her through 8 countries, some off-roading, a bit of crashing and some wheelies here and there the bike was starting to look a it dated in terms of the colour scheme and finish. How to solve that while I still loved the ride, carbs etc without breaking the bank...

A twist of fate when my 'handiwork' managed to twist a fuel tank creating an unrepairable which needed replacing. I found an entire 990 body kit on ebay, wasn't sure if it would even fit on the 950 but took the gamble.

So here is the starting point:
    [​IMG]

And here are the tangy ingredients:
    [​IMG]

Wow it's totally orange! (well the storage box is) Oh and the clocks and they came like that from the factory. Bonus!:
    [​IMG]

Starting with the easy bits first I know...it gets more complicated later. The bolt fixing points on the front fender had been changed between model years (probably due to the fender rubbing on the forks on the first bikes) so the two top fixings could only be fastened using one but that was enough. Not ideal and not particularly safe according to my dealer when I went around with the bike all done at the end. The dealer re-routed the brake lines which also did not fit in the original routing and could have caused the front to lock under heavy breaking the way I had done it. That's what a mechanic worth his salt picks up on so thanks KTM.

Some more citrus in the meantime while I build my confidence (I'm not very handy and these things). Can one be a novice for 10 years? Well I am that anywho. Now for some more citrus springling:
    [​IMG]

Now with the slightly more complicated panels:
    [​IMG]

Indicator plugs have changed between the 2003 and 2007 model years so I sawed off the plugs from the 2003 and sewed them onto the 2007 lights which were more streamlined:
    [​IMG]

Here are the new ones that I soldered to the old plugs which meant I didn't have to touch the plugs already on the bike:
    [​IMG]

OK, now they are fitted and working...barrier overcome...now where will the next one come from?!:
    [​IMG]

Now for the tanks and predictably there is a gaping fuel pump hole once I removed the FI one which got filled in with the Touratech part I bought which is massively overpriced but guaranteed to work so on went that. The tanks needed some pulling and tugging as the bikes dimensions have cleared been toyed with at KTM design central between these model years but not too much trouble:
    [​IMG]

OK, I needed some help. The peg bolts which needed removing to get the rack and then the rear panels off had rusted solid so I took it to the experts who had the tools. I don't regret this it would have been a major ball ache for me...it was just putting a bow on the project:
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished beauty. I'm well chuffed!
    [​IMG]

All in all not too much trouble and I've got a bike I'm happy to look at again, not just ride. I expect to have it for another 4 - 5 years now so I see this as good value for money.

This was my summer project seeing as we did not really have one here in the UK.
  2. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Now you just need to sort out that 990EFI inaccuracy on the side panels and you're done!

:D
  3. airwater

Oddometer:
    So change the E to a C? haha
  4. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Change it all to 950<sup>NA</sup> and see who picks up on it!

:lol3
  5. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of a Johny Cash tune. :D
  6. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks good. Nice Cosmetic Refresh
  7. airwater

Oddometer:
    na?
  8. mathews42

mathews42 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Naturally Aspirated

Looks nice! Never was a fan of the silver.
  9. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
    Great work.
  10. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  11. airwater

Oddometer:
    Should have also mentioned that the V5 registration document got changed over to the new colour no bother with no charge or no evidence requests. Also had mentioned to my insurance company that I was planning on doing this and they said it was fine because they were factory parts therefore did not raise the risk or premium as a result as opposed to had I/paint shop have got a spray can out myself and done a custom job.
  12. KTMADV

KTMADV Hammer Down

Oddometer:
    I would like to buy those front head light plugs from you that you cut off.
  13. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Which company?

This may be the first time I've heard of an insurance company not charging for something!
  14. airwater

Oddometer:
    Yo, I'm with Motorcycle Direct and my premium is pretty good.
  15. Dr LC8

Dr LC8 ...soon or later

Oddometer:
    I am collecting plastics and other aftermarket on ebay for a similar poject:wink::wink::wink:

Nic
  16. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Good one. :freaky