Tiger 800XC owners: Would you buy it again?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by phillipsrog, Sep 17, 2012.

1. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    The guy has decided he doesn't like the bike so why bother? Not even sure what he's doing on this thread. From what I can tell he thinks he's an expert and wants to make sure we all know 'the tiger is a pass' for him.

Comments on power, poor for 2-up, torque, he's completely full of...well, nevermind. At least he got the suspension part right, but owners are even upgrading it for offroading.

Explorer? Meh. Another hundred pounds. That's exactly what none of us wanted.
  2. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    My next bike when i wear this one out will probably be another Tiger 800XC.
  3. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Agreed this is a two up riding machine. I weight 260.
  4. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Nice color choice Doc. Damn that rig is LOADED!! Care to share how you setup all that gear in the rear?
  5. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    An Altrider rear rack as a platform. A wolfmann dry bag and a triumph dry bag. Held in place by Rok straps, bungees and a cheap cargo net.
  6. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

That's a lot of gear you got there. Would you recommend the Altrider rear rack? Likes/dislikes??
  7. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    I use the SW-Motech Alu-Rack, and think that it provides for a very versatile system.

The product is here (I cannot seem to find it right now on Twisted Throttle, but I know I got mine from them.)

http://advdepot.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-toprack-tiger-800-xc.html

You can get multiple adapter plates (all quick-release) for different luggage mount types. I use this Givi style adapter plate to mount a Givi top case:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-givi-kappa-monokey

When I don't use a top case, off it comes in under 30 seconds.

Wait, you say! I want to use soft luggage on my rear rack. Well, I have another adapter for that. The rear plate extender (again, quick-release) provides a larger platform for soft bags:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-alu-rack-topcase-adapter-plate-for-attaching-soft-luggage

And it removes/installs in under 30 seconds as well.

Nothing against any of the rear rack manufacturers out there; I just like the versatility that the SW Motech system allows.
  8. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Whats up YO, good info. I like that $53 dollar option.

I was also thinking about their dry bag combo as well...

[​IMG]

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twis...oof-motorcycle-dry-bag-modular-packing-system
  9. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Altrider is all top quality!! I lost a spacer in the bike when i installed it and they sent me a new one for free. Friendly customer service and like i said top quality.
  10. ag_streak

ag_streak Failure is always an option Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quick question for the Tiger 800XC owners, please...

I know jack shit about suspension. I'm the antithesis of a suspension nerd. I seldom even notice it, on any kind of bike, and never do much fiddling or adjusting. I'm not good enough on road or off to know much of a difference.

So, I hopped on my friend's dead-stock BMW F800GS the other day for ten minutes in some dirt and rocks. HOLY SHIT!! The bumps and ruts disappeared, and I felt like superman! The suspension was amazing. AND he's 230 pounds and I'm a buck 75. I ride a stock DR650 most of the time in the dirt and I'm happy with the suspension. I rode a Tiger 800 Roadie on a demo ride on the street only, and couldn't evaluate the suspension.

Question: Am I going to LOVE the 800XC's suspension? Is it going to feel light-years ahead of what i'm used to, like the F800's did? Or is there any substantial benefir to the F800's suspension? After all. BMW has been doing it for years. Did Triumph get it right up front?
  11. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    The general scientific consensus and the majority of mag reviews (take that for what its worth) say that the Tiger 800XC suspension is better than the F800GS. Now both the F800GS and Tiger 800XC have militant loyal fan bases so be careful on here. That being said the majority of Tiger 800XC owners absolutely rave about how much they like the suspension. That includes myself i love it and have never adjusted it at all.
  12. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
  13. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Onewheeldrive.net is testing the Tiger800XC right now and i'm following their posts on facebook. Interesting they just mentioned the suspension related to the F800GS. Quote below...

"Had our first day on the Triumph Explorer 1200 and Tiger 800XC yesterday. Our initial view of the bikes is very favourable on road... The engines on both are stomping, but the flat-torque "horizon" on the 1200 is exceptional. It pulls like a beast through to just before red. The 800XC, well, the engine inspires a lot more hooliganism than the F800GS, and the suspension is much more up to the task. We'll be heading out for our first day of playing in the dirt today and filming."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/OneWheelDriveNet/241309122114
  14. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On a similar note - Are there any factory accessories you would/wouldn't buy again?

Crash bars? Panniers?

Thinking about replacing my Tiger 1050 ABS with a Tiger 800XC ABS, and that means new luggage 'n stuff!
  15. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    If you're not going to run the panniers offroad they are a very nice set, decent deal for the money. If you are going to ride dirt roads then there are stronger options aftermarket - the stock mounts have plastic tabs that can break in a lay down.

The engine sump guard is a nice piece, but there's nothing wrong with the factory plastic skid for all but more difficult terrain.

The engine crash bars are pictured above and are very nice protection for the motor in the case of a lay down.

I got the sump guard, crash bars, and centerstand. The latter I think is an absolute delight for an adventure bike. Maintenance and tire work in the field is a breeze. That said it does clunk when you take the bike off road.

These are the things I'm familiar with on mine.
  16. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    My 2 Cents

Crashbars Good
    Skidplate Good
    Heated Grips Good
    Fog Lights Good
    Panniers Bad
    Grill Guard Good
  17. bluesman

bluesman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crash bars - yes
    Heated grips - yes (for me - never used heated grips on my bikes before, even factory ones are OK for me)
    Touring screen - yes (for me)
    Sump guard, aluminium - yes
    Luggage - no (top case way too heavy, side cases way to fragile for offroad and too wide for European riding)
    Fog lights - they good, but I see no need - stock headlight amazingly good (for me)
    Frond fender extender - yes
    XC comes with grill guard stock, so - yes
    I should have bough low comfort seat, but I am short guy.
    Arrow exhaust - superb, but not fixing one issue (for me) - too big exhaust on rhs, resulting in too wide panniers (aftermarket). I bought LeoVince and built symmetrical narrow luggage system myself. If you don't care about that Arrow is nice - but I still like LeoVince sound and looks more. And it is much cheaper.
  18. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I like the fog lights riding at night because they light up the road sides helping to see critters. Also like them when i'm riding dirt roads at night. Also there's an optional aluminum grill guard.

[​IMG]
  19. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I can't say anything about your friends experience and can only speak for my own experience. From my perspective the Tiger 800XC is an outstanding ADV machine and has performed way above my expectations. Its a ADV Touring machine not a dirt bike like the DR650 but can get you where you want to go. Obviously a DR650 is a dual sport bike and a Tiger 800XC is an adventure touring machine. Not sure why you've compare the two? For me its the best machine on the market for my needs. When i'm done with this bike i'll probably get another. Its been awesome for the first 28 thousand miles I've put on it. I see your dream bike is the F800GS? That used to be my dream bike but now i'm riding my current dream bike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]