Husky TR650 - New Owners Stupid Questions Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by HighFive, Dec 23, 2012.

1. DirtyOldMan

DirtyOldMan Motorsickle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I was all smug with my non wobbling terra for 4000 mi. Quick as I changed to the TKC80 front tire, I get the 75 mph wobble.
    Tried all the aforementioned remedies , air pressure, extra careful tire balancing, back to back runs with windscreen, no windscreen......
    I'm about 200 lbs. Going on a camping trip with it this weekend, I think I'm going to crank the preload up some more and see if I can get more wt. on the front end.

Has anyone tried it without the front fender on? I may give that a try as well, although if that proves to be the cause I'm not sure what I'll do for a permanent fix. Are Preston Petty fenders still available?
    Did that give away my age?
  2. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Strada came with the low fender. I purchased the terra fender but so far it's just sitting in the box it came in. I'm afraid the TR would take flight for sure with a high fender acting as a sail:wink:
  3. amk

amk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not even ridden Strada/Terra, but the general theory says something is wrong with the weight distribution. Too much weight is on the rear. I would crank up the shock preload a bit, if there is any, and drop the fork in the triple tree for half an inch or so.
  4. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Although there can be many factors that affect a high speed weave ... the technique above is what I've used with success on a few dual sport bikes.

Just slight geometry changes can affect or eliminate a high speed weave.
    Tires are always a factor too ... some being more likely to weave than others.

Good luck guys, hope a magic bullet can be found to settle things down!
  5. Bluegopher

Bluegopher n00b

Oddometer:
    I've read so many posts on this site and the other about the weave. I commute on my Terra almost every day down and up a mountain pass and a few miles on a crazy section of high speed highway (sometimes 85 mph to maintain flow with traffic). I have close to 4000 miles on the bike, stock Saharah's and have never experienced weave or head shake. I have experienced some significant blasts that have thrown me almost sideways from high speed highway turbulence but that's it. It seems these bikes exhibit some significantly different characteristics based on what, I don't know.
  6. huskyKT

huskyKT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you tightened up the triple tree nut?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  7. huskyKT

huskyKT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone found the catalytic converter? I would like to remove it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  8. jack splash

jack splash Two Sheds

Oddometer:
    Hey: I picked up a new 2014 TR650 last week and set it up for the woods.
    Took a 150 mile Shakedown ride thru the Pine Barrens yesterday, like it.
    It's going to replace my X Challenge if it's worthy. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Altrider Crash Bars and Skid Plate
    Michelin Desert Tires
    Acerbis Hand Guards
    PowerMadd Riser
    Magura Handle Bars
    Wolfman Bags
    Touratech Brake Guards
    Ram Mounts for GPS, Spot Tracker and Folding Mirrors
    Custom Wind screen.

Jack
  9. RuggedExposure

RuggedExposure Now with more rugged

Oddometer:
    Looks good.

What is that blue thing on your tank bag? An ipod/ipad?
    Wont that bungee destroy the screen?
  10. DESERT SCORPION

DESERT SCORPION SINGLE TRACK

Oddometer:
    I would put a nice rear sprocket chain guide on that rascal.

THE SCORPION
  11. farp

farp DualsportBC Rider

Oddometer:
    Can anyone tell me how to remove the spark plug? My problem is I don't know how to remove the plastic fittings that are fastened to the flange above the plug. I don't want to apply brute force and try to pry them off in case I break something and I can't find any info anywhere on how to do this.

John
  12. chris1261

chris1261 n00b

Oddometer:
    They're in the front of the mufflers.

[​IMG]
  13. Pacificus

Pacificus Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Why? Don't they help reduce toxic emissions, known for causing childhood asthma and cancer?
  14. DirtyOldMan

Oddometer:
    Mount a TKC 80 up front and tell us what happens.
    Just being a smartass, your experience is identical to mine until I mounted the aforementioned front tire. Now at 75 it shakes like a dog trying to pass a persimmon seed.

But, I may have had some progress in relieving it today. I cranked up the preload to the next to the highest position. I've slid the trees down to the 3rd line on the forks. Still it shook. This time when it shook I crawled up onto the tank, way up on it damn near like one of those stunt guys. (I was frustrated)
    That stopped it. Seems to me more wt. on the front end is needed so I slid the trees down one more line. This made it worse. Back to third line and then I noticed the yellow marks on the triple tree nut no longer align. Looks to have loosened maybe a sixteenth of a turn.
    Why do I refuse to check the simplest things first.
    I tightened the nut just barely, no obvious change in steering head play but I'll be damned if I didn't get a couple of 75 mph passes done with much improved stability.
    I'm not saying that fixed it but some improvements were made somehow.
    Leaving tomorrow for a 800 or 1000 mile camping ride with all kinds of crap strapped to the bike.
    If I live through it I'll report back.
  15. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey D.O.M.

Maybe we can get a discounted rate on Witchcraft or Voodo or something before you leave on your trip. There is a full moon out tonight.:rofl:huh Maybe boil some frogs in a big bowl with rusty water from my swing arm. May as well cross my fingers and click my heels three times...hell that may work!

In all seriousness, I have had miles and miles of no weave....then for no reason I could identify ....weave...weave...& more weave. I just turned 10K today...about half those I was a weaving!
  16. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Just finished 4,500 mile round trip over past 2 weeks: Oklahoma to New Mexico, up the Continental Divide Trail all the way to Canadian border, thru Glacier Park, then three days slabbing it home 1,500 miles, at 75mph for hours on end. No significant wobble or weave issues.....even after torturing the bike under heavy pack load for over 12 hours a day.

I hammered it thru the rough mountain passes. She took it all and asked for more. I'll say she is "broke-in" now. LOL

We really bonded on this trip, and I'm very impressed how well the bike performed. VERY!

So much to tell.....but I'm tired, need some rest.....and to organize my thoughts. Six straight days of rain. Thousand year flood in Colorado hits abou time I'm passing thru Salida. Mud, rocks, grizzlies, wolves, & nervous park rangers....sheeez, I'm not sure where to begin.

Finished the trip with two 650 mile days on the slab, back to back. Who said the Terra wasn't a capable long-distance DS bike? BS! Mine worked great. Hauled ass on the slab in comfort and style, even when filthy dirty and looking like the Clampits moving to Beverly Hills.

Zzzzzzzzzzz......

HF
  17. finn69

finn69 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers they are both bmw bikes anyway think the front may go just had my first spin and well impressed :clap
  18. CatskillBill

CatskillBill Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe my brain is working backwards this morning, but aren't you reducing trail and reducing stability when you slide the bike down the forks? :dunno
  19. DirtyOldMan

Oddometer:
    Yes, you are right and that is part of the equation but it's also moving weight onto the front of the bike.
    All this geometry is above my pay scale so I'm just trying different things.
    Not sure what the difference is between "rake" and "trail" but my thinking is that if you look at a modern sportbike, the rake angle of their forks is much closer to vertical than lots of bikes that are not designed to go nearly as fast. Yes :dunno is me as well.
  20. DirtyOldMan

Oddometer:
    Hey H/F, I want to hear about your trip but I have a question.
    Getting curious about how this weaving thing might be connected to rider weight. Wondering if the phenomenon might be confined to us "full figured gals". I tip the scales at a svelte 200 lbs. If I might be so bold as to ask, just how much gravity must be offset in order for you to leave the ground?
    Or in the words of another favorite Oklahoman, Roy D. Mercer, "Just how big an ole boy are ya?"