Jerry cans 10 liter on sale

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by twintwin, Mar 12, 2013.

1. twintwin

twintwin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just get today the catalog in the mail of Roverparts.com and the 10 L. jerry can is back for sale in the US (and on sale). I bought mines 5 years ago, and If I remember correctly, I got two of the last ones available in the US because of the new law that "prohibited the use of this container for the storage of fuel" Well the law is still in effect , but the jerry can are back on the market in the US.
    http://www.roverparts.com/nxt/?Category=ACC.+-++OFF-ROAD&Subcategory=Jerry+Cans
    They do not sale the holder!!!, so if someone is better than me with Google, please post the link.

I'm very please with the 2 jerry cans, they do not leak or rust after 5 years, and I have also the also the spout, very handy. I guess I will buy 2 other one for my new rig, but I need the holder!
    [​IMG]
  2. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty good at searching for stuff, and I couldn't find anything stateside for the 10L can. Lots of options for the 20L, but not for the little guy.

But I did find a place in the U.K. that will ship to the U.S.--

Green Valley Supplies

[​IMG]

They also have the 10L in stainless steel if you want some bling!
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. tbird649

tbird649 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F2 Motorcycles in the UK. F2 are the UK Ural importers. They have 10 litre cans in silver or black, complete with holder. Lots of other good stuff on their site as well.
  5. twintwin

Oddometer:
    This 10L jerry can is now back for sale in the US, 2 warehouse, one in NY and the other one in CA.
    http://www.roverparts.com/Showroom/ab-maps-directions.cfm
  6. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

The 10 liter holders are out there. I've found most half decent trailer parts suppliers have them over here.

Failing that , try these guys that are selling them on flea-bay.

http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/261043033549?ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes

7. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all your responses and links, but the shipping fees from overseas (England, Germany, Australia) would be outrageous compared to the price of an holder.
    So, I guess I have a solution for the carrier. The 20 L. jerry can has the same width and length as the 10 L., only the height is different. After checking the measurements of the 20 L. carrier, and mines with the 10 L. the small jerry will fit in the larger holder, only the height must be address. Not a big deal, cut and quick re-weld would be the easiest and cheaper way.
  8. Praxguy

Praxguy CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to say: I'm adding a Jerry Can 10L (accidentally bought the 20L first) to my rig, and this is most likely the cheapest option for a holder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008CLNYPC/ref=oh_details_o08_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Smitty Holder will secure/lock either a 20L or 10L without having to cut or reweld anything. And it's not expensive at all! It's got some strong steel believe you me.
  9. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Nice find, thanks for sharing, this is the solution for the 10L can, on the picture, you can see how to position the strap on 2 the lower mount to accommodate the small 10L can. Perfect
    [​IMG]

Thanks again.
  10. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for a couple of new carriers for the new replacement adventure tub on the GS and these look perfect. I ordered 2 yesterday so we shall see how they work out.
  11. Praxguy

Praxguy CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer:
    I cant for TVE Life of me Found a decent set of instructions on how to bold a 10L on. I don't think the tub wall is strong enough. So I'm considering a type of L bracket on a hitch that the body has but I still don't know. I like the way it looks when connected to the tub wall inside.
  12. twintwin

Oddometer:
    If the holder has the strength for a 20L can, I do not see why it would be not strong enough for a 10L.:huh
    Could you post pictures so you can explain us better what troubles you are facing. I do not have the holder yet, so I cannot comment but I do not understand how the 10L. cannot fit in it.
  13. dholaday

dholaday Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Elmer, who put together my rig, re-inforced the tub wall with extra fiberglass mat. You can see pics at post # 77 on his build thread here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439290&highlight=ingrid&page=6

DRONE says he just used 1.5" body washers on the inside wall. See post #324 of his WUMPA thread.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681793&page=22

Duncan
  14. Praxguy

Praxguy CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer:
    Thanks and apologies for my jumbled words in my last post! I was writing from the iPhone!

So here's the issue: I have the 10L NATO can as well as the Smitty holder. But I fear that bolting the holder to the tub itself will compromise the integrity of the sheet metal. I'm not convinced that it can hold that much weight.

I can see here that's exactly what this guy did:
    [​IMG]

The only difference is that I'd be bolting the jerry can onto the inside where the stock can usually goes. But no one seems to have pictures of that specific mod. As for the fiberglass lining, I'm not really sure how that would help much.
  15. twintwin

Oddometer:
    Alright, just took pictures of my set up, Nato 10L can and Nato 10L holder
    The tub is a Ural.
    I have this set up for 4 years and nothing has moved, yet!

Outside, 4 attachments points, spacer + washer
    [​IMG]

Inside 2 metal brackets.
    [​IMG]
  16. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I built my Adventure tub I used 1/4" X 2" aluminum flatstock on the inside, top and bottom, to mount the cans to.

[​IMG]

Coming back from Alaska this last Summer the corner weld on the box started spliting from the top down because of the weight of the full can but the mounts never had a problem,

[​IMG]

This setup has done about 20,000 miles including the Trans Labrador and various Colorado and Utah off roading trips. I do not know how fortunate it was but last Fall some nice lady ran through a yield sign entering a roundabout up here and took out the rear of the adventure tub so I am working on building a new one right now. I will use all of the same mounting but I will reinforce the front and rear corners where the Jerry cans are with 2" aluminum angle stock this time.

[​IMG]
  17. DirtyDR

DirtyDR Dana Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I had the can mounted on the inside of the Ural tub I used a 12" square piece of 1/16" sheet metal on the inside to mount it to.

[​IMG]
  18. Praxguy

Praxguy CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer:
    Alright TwinTwin, I'm going to trust your judgement and do the exact same setup. My biggest concern is bouncing a fuel swooshing that could compromise the integrity. But if you're telling 4 years and going strong, then so be it.

I'll take pictures and post it in detail for the next guy that has my same problem.
  19. twintwin

Oddometer:
    As Dana (DirtyDR) says, the welds on the holder itself will let it go before the mount set up. Ara has the same can, holder and mount, with no trouble as far as I know, and he mainly does off road, not in my case. Try to avoid the potholes in NY city and you should be alright :D
  20. Praxguy

Praxguy CAPITALIST PIG

Oddometer:
    Working on it right now...[​IMG]