Deep sand, ruts & an Iron Lung - The Border Track

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by kano650, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late yesterday I was rethinking the route for today and decided to head west to Tintinara instead of looping around and heading north through the park. Regardless of our chosen route we had no option but to ride out another 40km of sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The sand was nice and damp on top from the moisture overnight. The DR just eats this stuff up. I found second gear and standing on the pegs the easiest way to ride this, occasionally dropping it down to first for the steeper sandier hills or flicking it into third for the more open sections. The tracks were sandy and rutted but easier than the northern end of the Border Track. It wasn't long before David blew another gasket and was needing to stop regularly to catch his breath.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We continued on and were both happy to see the hard packed soil on the opposite side of the gate leading out of Ngarkat Conservation Park. At Tintinara we fueled up and David bought oil for his bike. His DR had burnt a litre of oil in the sandy conditions. Mine hadn’t used any at all. I’m certainly going to miss this bike, it’s been bullet proof.

I off loaded all the rubbish from the previous nights camp in the bin, we grabbed something to eat and took some time out to rest.

Then it was easy dirt roads onwards towards Tailem Bend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    About 20km from Tailem Bend I opened up the throttle in fifth and the DR lost power and died. I drained the float bowl which fixed the problem until I opened it up in top gear again and the same thing happened. I drained the float a second time and this time the bike ran ok. As we rolled into Tailem Bend I noticed my front tyre was flat. After closer inspection it appeared to be a leaky valve so I replaced it with a spare valve and pumped the tyre back up to 26psi. We left Tailem Bend and merged onto the Freeway when suddenly my bike lost power again. I pulled over convinced there must be some shit in the float bowl. I stripped the luggage off the bike and removed the safari tank to gain access to the float bowl screws. With the float off I could clearly see there was some scum sitting in the bottom of the bowl. I can only assume that under heavy load the engine was sucking this scum into the main jet causing it to run lean.

[​IMG]
  5. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After putting everything back on the bike we got moving again for the final run into Adelaide along the South Eastern Freeway. Apart from strong gusty winds the remainder of the trip was an uneventful cruise along the black top.

The track log downloaded into Basecamp.

[​IMG]
  6. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those with DR’s who may be interested in our fuel consumption on the trip here it is. I’ll firstly outline our bike setups.

- Open airboxes
    - DJ needle 4th clip position
    - DJ 155 main (David) DJ 160 main (mine)
    - Drilled slide
    - Backfire screen removed
    - GSXR 1000 mufflers
    - Gearing 14/41

My bike:
    Average for the entire trip (692km) 12.9 km per Litre

David’s bike:
    Murray Bridge - Pinnaroo (178km) 13.7 km per Litre
    Pinnaroo - Tintanara (179km) 12.8 km per Litre
  7. AZ Mark

AZ Mark Misplaced Farmboy Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really HATE the powder-sand...:eek1
    That looks like "damn extreme sand". I have to ride in quite a bit of it living in AZ. I keep thinking experience will make me a better sand rider! :lol3 ...and I just keep thinking that way...
    Great ride report, thanks for taking us along.
  8. seabee1

seabee1 we build, we fight

Oddometer:
    Holy crap that was a lot of deep sand! Thanks for letting me know where not to go riding if I ever get over there!
  9. Mr_Chris

Mr_Chris Get away, evil car!

Oddometer:
    I hope David is all right
  10. TonyRDR

TonyRDR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome stuff well done to both of you the border section can be a killer of a track for a loaded bike.:clap:clap:clap:clap Dave said you did not have a single off. That was not the case for me :p3rryon that track.
  11. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    God,
    that is my idea of hell:puke1. I think I will give that part of SA a miss!
  12. philth

philth www.motorbikin.com.au

Oddometer:
    AWESOME!
    what does more cowbell mean?
  13. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke to him yesterday and he's still not feeling the best. He's got Diverticulosis apparently.
  14. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tony. Yeah it's a pretty technical bit of track. Hardest ride I've done without doubt. I had a few wobbly moments so was lucky to not come off a couple of times. We need to catch up for a beer soon. :beer:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
  15. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got it from an SNL sketch with Will Ferrell and Cristopher Walken. Fuckin funny stuff.
  16. gunnadoit

gunnadoit n00b

Oddometer:
    Well done boys. Looks like another great adventure. Hope to join soon on the small jaunts..:clap

Pity about the beers......makes you wanna cry!
  17. KIZ

KIZ Marty

Oddometer:
    Good ride report Kano. Not done that track fully loaded, had back up to carry our gear and the fridge.:rofl Never carried the extra weight of drinks and ice,:huh on other trips. Usually a plastic bottle of port has to suffice. Sounds like Dave is one tough dude.:wink:
    I heard there is going to be an entry fee on top of camping fees at Ngarkat being introduced soon.
  18. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No worries mate, hope your wrist is healing up alright too :D

Seems that beer cans these days are made bloody paper thin. I'll be working out a better carriage system for the next one!
  19. kano650

kano650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that Kiz. Yeah I read something a while ago about entry fees being introduced soon. They'll make a bit of dough out of it given the number of 4x4's that travel through there.
  20. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
    Now that's one bloody big sand pit, well done fellas :bow

Top effort Dave, :thumb I know how sick you have been, you're a tough bastard to get through that's stuff, but I know, I know, yeah! yeah! yeah! ......... you were on a DR :D