How do you attach your Airhawk???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JD, Sep 21, 2012.

1. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had an Airhawk seat cushion for a while now and only tend to use it on longer rides, which means the little elastic straps that hold it on inevitably disappear up under the seat requiring either a fishing expedition to coax them out or unbolting the seat. :baldy

So, i'm wondering if anyone has found a better way to attach theirs, and still be able to easily remove it? :ear

Oh, and if it makes any difference this is on a KLX400R (green DRZ).
  2. Drozit

Drozit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Racing tape or similar will do the trick.
    Fit the Air hawk with the sit off so you see where the strap sit ,than apply a nice bit of tape on to it .
    Put the sit back and when you need just disconnect the Airhawk and the wrap will be in place for the next time ...works for me
    Cheers
    Max
  3. mpillis

mpillis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't. No straps. Just sit on it.
    CO303 likes this.
  4. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant even tie the front strap on my seat because of tank. I only use rear strap and that doesn't prevent the cushion to flip back with the wind if ever I stand up for a second, so I would love to hear more attachment solutions...

For the rear strap, I dont stretch the elastic much (as I said, it just a safety attachment now), so when not stretched, it still dangles out. Honestly, this doesn't have to resit a hurricane. Besides, I hate so much those square unsecure clippy things that I have to twist to ensure they wont slide off that that I am about to make my own wire with hooks (a tiny bungee cord likely) as a permanent addition to the underseat..
  5. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Max, you lost me there - what is racing tape?

Would love to be able to do that, but I ride mostly offroad and stand up quite a lot. Don't think I would get very far without it falling off. Actually, there's an idea - maybe I should just strap it to my arse :rofl
  6. thetable

thetable Long timer

Oddometer:
    High end duct(duck) tape, tears cleanly, removes cleanly. Well, at least better than the stuff you get from the hardware store. I've used it a lot, but prolonged exposure to heat (at least with the sun beating on it) loosens up the adhesive and makes it a mess to clean up after; I could do a weekend on track and it would come off with no residue, but if I didn't get around to taking it off for a week in the summer, there was definitely some cleanup work to do. Gaffers tape is a little better, but still pretty similar.
  7. JD

JD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, so are we talking about duct taping the loose ends of the straps to the side of the seat, rather than the Airhawk to the seat?
  8. MadMax

MadMax Marveling...

Oddometer:
    The straps are long enough on my seat that I just tied knots onto the cushion. When I take it off to wash the bike, I just take the seat off and slide the cushion off.

The knots keep the Airhawk secure, unlike the flimsy little buckles. I ride dual-sport, so I stand up some and need to know that my expensive bum-pad won't fall off, thus the knots! YMMV.
  9. miniboxer

miniboxer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

on my drz, I used velcro straps, knotted to the frame. This way they couldn't get lost and on pavement they secured the airhawk, avoiding the original "hook-systen".
  10. Buzzo

Buzzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    G'day.

I just place it on with no straps.. Doesn't move at all...
  11. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, me too, I just hold it on with my butt. I don't use it much since I got a sheep skin pad.
  12. STUFF2C

STUFF2C We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer:
    I have a string looped though the front tie down loops and just tie it to the frame when I use it.

I stood up on a long trip before I started to tie it off. Flew off and a flip'n semi ran it over. Lucky me, it just broke the valve. AirHalk sent me a new one (valve) and I've been good ever since.
  13. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    Ahh. I've experimented heaps with this problem. I reckon I've solved it. You knobs who reckon you don't even tie it on, that's bullshit. You must never stand up and must have seats the size of armchairs. It's not an Adventure if you never stand up.

I cut loops out of old bike tyres, about 10mm wide so that they are strong enough not to break, but not too unstretchy. I use four loops, one attaches to each corner of the airhawk. Then I use two bits of twine (or any light thin rope would do) to tie two loops to each other around under the seat. i.e. the two rear to each other, the two front to each other.

The tyre loops (Kind of like super strong rubber bands) sit against the seat edges and the corner underneath and the rubber/vinyl friction stops them moving backwards and forwards. You only see the black tyre loops against the (usually) black seat as the twine is only under the seat.

Takes a bit of fiddling getting the twine in the right place and the right tension, but works great. There is still some movement and flex in the rubber bands/tyre loops for you to slightly move the airhawk around if you need to, and to stop the Airhawk's loops tearing if you drag your leg across it, crash etc.
  14. muga

muga Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Large zipties through the loops and around the seat.. can even use additional zipties to attach it to the frame if needed.
  15. Turnerdude1

Turnerdude1 Turnerdude1

Oddometer:
    shoe laces will work...
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    I put a seat cover over the entire area. Bonus is it doesn't get soaked in the rain.
  17. RoyalBluez

RoyalBluez n00b

Oddometer:
    I just finished attaching mine, after browsing through tips here!

I ended up using military-grade bungee cord, which was leftovers from some backpack-tuning. This here: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/bungee-cord-by-the-metre-olive-drab/33474

And then some cord locks to tighten the loops: https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/cord-lock-olive-drab/33526

So, just loop the cord through Airhawk's attachment loops, add the cord lock (and optionally tie a knot, to secure the lock). Fits nicely under the 690 Enduro's seat. But,this method more or less requires detaching the seat, unless you can slip the cord locks under the seat somehow.

Did not test ride yet, but the cushion stays put way better than with the original "straps".
  18. ToothDocJay

ToothDocJay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cobble Hill, Vancouver island, BC ("wet coast")
    Now that mine has some serious miles on it I no longer consider it a "theft" target (relatively speaking it looks shitty and unattractive) so I use the buckles and a bit of duct tape to keep them from coming undone. Stays in place quite nicely.
  19. Bikerboy

Bikerboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just use the straps provided . I pass them under the seat . I do that for the driver & pillion airhawk seat covers. The straps are long enough . No problems
  20. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:
    How much do you guys usually inflate the airhawk? I just went for a rip with it inflated almost completely, and it was pretty nice.