Finally back on a real motorcycle, thanks Erik...

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by 996DL, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have fun with your new bike.

I love my '09.

:thumb
  2. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's funny how riders seem to "discover" the Uly in waves like this. Every 6 months or so there seems to be a rash of used Uly purchases and riders find out what a great bike this is.

HOPEFULLY when the EBR 2013 1190AX (rumored to be introduced any day now for sale next year) hits the dealerships, we'll see a lot of motorcyclists who never set foot in an HD/Buell dealership give EBR serious consideration. One huge factor is these dealers WON'T have salesmen saying "yea, we have Buells, but why would you want one of those when you can buy a REAL bike?"

I just keep thinking "If Erik Buell could pull off the Uly under Harley's thumb, what kind of ADV bike will he build now that he's unconstrained?" :evil
  3. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    1190 Rotax power, with Erik's sense of humour, should mean more rwhp than a Multistrada and without the daunting desmodromics. Not what I'm after, but a dynamite segment bike, for power hungry customers. :thumb

996DL

Finally back to a bike, that's as enjoyable to sit back and ogle, as it is to ride. :raabia
  4. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  5. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    Welcome to the asylum Tag. I picked up my first Buell a couple of months ago. '09 XB12X with 1500 miles on it. 4200 now and I'm loving it. It's a real can do anything bike. I'm no more than 2 hours from the Niagara parkway and don't consider the season done for nice bikes until the salt trucks come out.
  6. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amen to that! As a 2010 MTS1200S owner, I get tired of people praising the Multi for its LIGHTNESS! Fully wet, but no luggage, it's 520 lb on my scale (owner's manual says 423 lb excluding center stand & battery...hah!)

Yes, most of the current "ADV" bikes are heavier, but that's no praise. By comparison, my '06 Uly is 515 lb in the same condition.

Dunno that Erik's latest creation will be all that light, but boy, anything lighter would sure be appreciated.

I guess that's why the name of this sub-forum is BEASTS...:lol3

--Doc
  7. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any of you "new" Uly owners who don't already have the "Comfort Kit" installed, I just saw this posted to Badweb:

http://www.grharley.com/Buell_Ulysses_XB12X_Rider_Comfort_Kit_p/m1907.1ak.htm

Apparently they have a few in stock. If you're not aware, the "Comfort Kit" consisted of a right side scoop that funnels air to the rear cylinder head, an under-seat "duct" that directs hot air from the cooling fan downward and away from the seat, and a heat shield for the rear exhaust pipe. This was standard on the 2010 bikes but is a great addition to earlier bikes.
  8. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you like your new ride, but the DL couldn't have been that bad - you named yourself after it... I am curious, you must have liked it once upon a time - why the change?

:ear
  9. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    The 996 motor's to die for, the rest not so much.
    I posted my DL impressions, in the first post on this thread.

Nuff said.

996DL
  10. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    So when are you changing your name to XB12X? :rofl
  11. 996DL

996DL Dunning-Kruger PHD

Oddometer:
    1203XBX Gotta nice ring to it... :wink:

996DL
  12. ironbutt

ironbutt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the kit - ordered mine! Two days ago I was going to sell my pristine 2006 with only 3,700 miles on it (long story), but took it for a ride yesterday in some nice corners and that was that, my job may keep me from riding it very often, but man, when you lean her over and get on the gas from the exit of a tight corner - there is nothing like the Uly!

13. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since I posted I read that American Sport Bike also still has the Comfort Kits as well and they're expected to be available for some time.
  14. Jonny955

Jonny955 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I had a 2006 X for a few months and I totally agree with this. It was probably the feature I liked the most, although there were other things I liked too, like the comfortable riding position and the excellent fuel economy.

I'd have another one but I really like the KTM990 Adventure that replaced it and I have to admit I'm concerned about parts availability over here in the UK. Yes, I can get them but you have to wait if it's not a common item. Both are excellent bikes, each with it's own +/-. though.

Jon
  15. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey that Erik guy can build some pretty good bikes huh!
    [​IMG]
  16. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    Great.........like I need another decision issue. Love my 08X Uly and was going to trade my Harley Ultra in on a new 1190 R ktm.........now ??????????????? A new Uly is something I could go for.....there Buells are just like heroin