Recommend me a good multimeter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by das Motorradreiter, Jan 8, 2013.

1. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know the difference between the 77 and 78, but here is my 77. Genuine Fluke leads are more flexible than the less expensive(Chinese) ones. I also use a clip on the end of the probe sometimes and again the fluke ones are better than a set I tried from RadioShack. I hold the manual, clips,leads and a jumper wire in a large Altoids tin so everything stays together and undamaged in my toolbox. I would go with a used Fluke over a new Chinese meter. I justify good tools by there is a job to get done and you need them to work or you end up paying someone else to do it. For less than one hour what a shop would charge to figure out an electrical problem you can get a used Fluke that you will pass onto your kids someday. I have used my fluke on 110v, I would not trust my life with a Chinese meter.[​IMG]
  2. das Motorradreiter

das Motorradreiter Diehard Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I cannot complain there - she had to buy shoes for a wedding last month - with the sale and coupon, she paid $9.00 for the pair!
  3. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you have a Radio Shack nearby, that's another brick and motor source . . . .

I have a 10 dollar Radio Shack meter (likely chicom) in my tank bag, and an old fluke in the roll cab out in the Entropy Lab . . . . . the Chcicom meeter is good enough for 99% of what I do (is there more or less 12 volts present? Is there 0 ohm resistance, or higher), but the Fluke makes me smile to use it -- it's a nice tool.
  4. das Motorradreiter

Oddometer:
    Would $50 for a 77 be decent? I found one a little bit of a drive from me.
  5. Superfish

Superfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a Fluke 87 for about 20 years. The only time I ever had a problem with it was the time (brain fart) that I decided to hook it to my electric horse fence. After I got it back from fluke it worked fine again. Also have a cheep one on the bike.
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    With you on that. My wife is the same way. Considering she got her wedding dress for $300. Yeah, I did well.
  7. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    If you don't buy it, I will! Yes, $50 for a 77 is quite acceptable.
  8. gsweave

gsweave Yinz, blinkers are on, JACKWAD! Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fluke 87v user.. Love it but it is overkill for home and bike.

But yes the fluke leads really make a cheap multimeter useable.
  9. groundrules

groundrules Long timer

Oddometer:
    bike mags often have coupons to get the HF one for free. can't really beat that.
  10. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    The HF meter is adequate for a bike. I'd rather spend extra money for quality leads.

[​IMG]

Insulation piercing attachments
    [​IMG]
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    All I can say is after you checking amps with your lead type meter make sure you switch back the leads for checking volts to the correct position. BEFORE you check high voltage again. Only a Fluke DVM will survive.

DAMHIK. :permazot
  12. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    I have this one

http://dx.com/p/2-6-lcd-current-vol...ure-frequency-digital-multimeter-1-6f22-32418

for $21 it's hard to go wrong. It's my kickaround meter and goes in the mobile toolbox in my truck etc. I'd love a Fluke as I enjoy high end tools but I guess I don't need stuff that is super accurate. I've compared it to a Fluke and I get the same resolution so...

You do need to buy the better leads from them as the stockers are junk. I think I was into the whole thing for $25. I wasn't expecting much but since i was ordering a bunch of Li Ion batteries for flashlights I decided what the hell, been a great meter for the couple years I have had it.
  13. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1, was using a DMM for troubleshooting a bike problem recently and it showed good voltage which threw me off....the problem was a very loose connection (courtesy of Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness ;-) and when I used a 12V test light instead of the DMM it would not light up since it tried to pull some current....sometimes a test light or analog meter works much better than a DMM

[​IMG]
  14. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    This sounds naughty, doesn't it?

;-}
  15. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    I agree on the HF units. I got my last one free because they had them on sale for $3.99 and also had a coup for $3.99 off on them. I didn't really need it but figured I was getting a free 9V battery.:evil

My favorite is this old pocket multimeter from Radio Shack:

[​IMG]

Good features:
    - Small, self-contained
    - Autoranging
    - Audible beep when continuity testing

Most important feature:
    - Auto-off!
  16. das Motorradreiter

Oddometer:
    I had not heard of this particular Fluke model and ran across it today screwing around on eBay.

[​IMG]

Reading this article, sparked my interest - http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=167123

Finding more info http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/fluke-27fm-decent-multimeter-hobbyist-67805.html, I was determined to find one.
    I've always appreciated MILSPEC stuff. Judging by the info out there on it, it should be the last DMM I will be buying.

A little persistence and I located a really nice one on Craigslist at a pawn shop in SC. It has a rather large, hard carrying case, leads, alligator clips and what looks like a USGI manual. I called the shop and fellow on the other end was very pleasant but would not drop below his $60 asking price. He agreed to ship it to me for an additional $10. A quick PayPal transaction and he emailed me a tracking number. I'll let you all know the result when it arrives.

One final note - my wife did not cringe when I broke the news to her!
  17. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like you got a nice deal. That meter looks new. I guess the only thing that could kill a Fluke is if the battery leaks.
  18. SPEIRMOOR

SPEIRMOOR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used to have one of thse Radioshack ones they were so handy!
  19. stainlesscycle

stainlesscycle Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's a neat one. find one of these to fit it. worth the investment.

[​IMG]
  20. Tweaker

Tweaker ...

Oddometer:
    I like this answer. Test light too. If I was an electrician, an better meter would be required.

Nutz. Don't touch metal and nothing is going to happen with any meter.

I've gone through a number of Radio Shack meters and that was my favorite, although it is sitting in a pile of pieces right now. I just finished bottom balancing a bunch of LiFePo batteries (many, many hours of meter time) and between 3 HF meters, there was an .02V difference @ 3V. I learned keeping the battery fresh has a fairly dramatic effect on their accuracy. I also agree about better leads.