XR650R Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JustinT, Nov 24, 2008.

1. BigNastybrp

BigNastybrp Big Nasty

Oddometer:
    the 908 is crazy! I get so many more miles 3400 mile out of them. on the 990 but at three times the cost of the ac10 or the 606 (this is the rears I use on the 650r, 1500 miles at best). only thing is the stiff side wall and so no flex. it a monster best price I find is $194 all the way to $300:freaky
  2. WunderfulLusterful

WunderfulLusterful Banned

Oddometer:

I got ya, I did find some info on the install last night after i posted but thanks for the reply. I am thinking seriously about the auto clutch. I need to find a bike locally that has a Rekluse and take it for a spin before I buy a $400 paper weight! Thanks
  3. medisyn

medisyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly the stock one is not on there. Just a really cheap looking case saver.

Looks like I have 15/44t currently on there.

I have morad wheels, but I do not know anything about the hubs. They are unmarked and gold in color. I assume the stock sprockets will bolt up... Sadly I was such a noob I forgot to ask the seller all these things a year ago. I was just exited to get a CA plated xr650r supermoto. :D

If I went say 15/43t how many links will the chain need? I am going to go with a RK chain this time. I am happy so far with my RK chain on my other bike.

EDIT: They are talon hubs.
    EDIT2: Sorta considering staying at 15/44t
  4. BuRPsa

BuRPsa Finally growing up..

Oddometer:
  5. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I needed the manual a bit too soon!

My first BRP, although I've owned upwards of 8 to 10 XR600s, plus XR500, 400, etc. So I know the aircooled engines well

Picked up my 2006 model with only 4k miles. Rode 100 miles home. 10 miles to go it was getting clicky sounds in top end, clicky, but nothing alarming.
    Another 5 miles and suddenly the click-rattle was louder than exhaust note, so switched off and coasted to a garage where the bike is now stored.

Oil level was mid way on dipstick at 50 miles into the trip home.

After I stopped I checked the oil level again, and it was about 4cm from end of dip stick.

Asides from the rattle terrible noise it was actually running ok. There was no sign of tight exhaust valves or anything.

Any guesses? I figure either:
    A. Ran low on oil and I've cooked the head, tappet's, cams etc. But as said, the oil was reading mid to low, but not at all near empty?
    B. The last service didn't tighten the tappet lock nut, and it's come off
    C. Something loose in decompression assembly?

This is an important bike for me, I usually do all my own top end engine work, but for this one I luckily know an ex Honda race team mechanic, he will look into it over next few weeks.... He is on holiday until Thursday, and the waiting to find what is wrong is not nice!! :(

After purposefully buying so many XR600s with cooked heads to repair and sell on, this is very ironic... :(
  6. ded6080

ded6080 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good idea - I dug out the stock cover and put it on over the xr's only case saver last night

just put the stock one over the top of the xr's only. that's what it did the other looks like it is not using the third bolt the large one, the one on the top right.[/QUOTE]
  7. FlyGuy

FlyGuy MachineHead

Oddometer:
    Any guesses? I figure either:
    A. Ran low on oil and I've cooked the head, tappet's, cams etc. But as said, the oil was reading mid to low, but not at all near empty?
    B. The last service didn't tighten the tappet lock nut, and it's come off
    C. Something loose in decompression assembly?

Manual
    http://sdrv.ms/161s4G3

The 650R has ball bearings supporting the cam, so the head is probably OK
    the older models ran on the aluminum head
    But the cam and folowers are a posability.
    You are probably on the right track? If you consumed a large amount of oil in a short distance? The previous owner probably ran it low on oil before he figured it out.
    A check of the valves would be in order and the first I would check.
    Removing the rocker box may reveal your woes? and is easy to do.
    Good luck and keep her going, they are becoming more rare by the day
  8. WunderfulLusterful

Oddometer:

Yes, you replace 2 or 3 steels and friction plates with this plate. From what I read, the clutch lever will still disengage the clutch but obviously it will not engage it. They say that the disengagement "area" is always in a different spot depending on engine rpm. I have been looking locally for a Rekluse-equipped bike to test out before I drop the coin on one. Reviews on the EXP have all been very positive.
  9. WunderfulLusterful

Oddometer:

I had this happen to my 2000 two years ago. Same symptoms as you describe. I ended up having to do the cam, rockers and tappets. I lucked out and catch it before it took out the wrist pin or crank. I did the rings, timing chain, timing guides, valve seals and a few other small parts all at the same time. I did find that my intake valves were worn out too. I put another 1000 miles on those valves before I had to do the head rebuild too. Just be prepared for the cam, rockers and cam bearings to need replaced. I didn't replace the cam bearing with the rest of the parts but not ever 20 miles after the rebuild the bearings came apart. They are cheap, like $12 each so it is well worth it because you know they were starved of oil too.
  10. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:

many thanks. That's what I figure....
    Will see in a few days when my mechanic is back! So frustrating not knowing, but I know as ex mech that it's so much better getting the whole job and not a partially stripped bike :-)
  11. WunderfulLusterful

Oddometer:

You can pull the valve covers off and look in there. You can see the lobes of the cam, if they are no smooth and shiny then you will need a cam. If they are rough at all, the cam is junk as are the rockets. You can have your old rockers hard-surfaced and reground. There is a guy on ebay that does it for around $180 which is the same price of a new set of 3 rockers.
  12. WunderfulLusterful

Oddometer:
    Also, another quick way to inspect things is to pull the oil filter and look between the pleats. If there are chunks or alot of metal debris there is some internal damage. The oil that is in the bike will tell you the whole story of what is going on.

This is what you will more than likely find in there, note the discoloration of the "follower" end of the rocket.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12521048&postcount=3668
  13. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! But not in England! Cheaper here to buy new :( We just don't have the shop mechanics you guys have :(

I gave lifted many heads, just a bit bummed as just bought the damned thing.... :deal
  14. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Great idea :)
  15. WunderfulLusterful

Oddometer:

Opps, I didn't notice you were in England.
  16. sunnybandit

sunnybandit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In idahoe and my exhaust (muffler ) on my big gun system is fucked. Anybody out here got a shop or a spare sparky/muffler that may fit on the headers? Thanks!!!

Edit: twin falls area ,
    MSE mobile
  17. Klacasse

Klacasse BRP Junkie

Oddometer:
    just a question for all the BRP experts on here.
    I have a 2005 xrr and it seems to have a bit of a stumble at low throttle (cruising and not using much throttle), It also has quite a bit of popping on deceleration. Could this be running a bit lean?
    I just got the bike about a month ago and haven't torn into it to much yet, (having too much fun riding it!) but it has been uncorked (hrc tip and air box mods) and all the smog stuff has be removed. The p.o said there was some "go fast" parts in the engine but didn't know what had been done. Is it normal to get popping with this exhaust set-up,
    Any ideas on the stumble would be helpful its getting kinda annoying (throws you forward a bit kinda like you just closed off the throttle completely.) Only happens at 1/4 throttle or less
    thanks again
    Kris
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Correct, just remove 2-3 plates and install the Rekluse unit.
  19. stevh0

stevh0 Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Can anybody comment on the maxxis it front tire on the brp? I want to take the mitas xt644 off and put that on my adventure instead.
  20. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Which tires? Desert IT rear tire is awesome! Front... not my favorite.