Ducati Hyperstrada!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by DeedsyDragon, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 98940

98940 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great write-up, thanks for sharing.
  2. wizz

wizz Up a creek......

Oddometer:
    Thanks jerdog. I need to see one in person, might be a little too cramped for my 6'2 frame. Have you inquired with woody's wheels about a front wheel? Or spokes for front and back?
  3. ARiderX

ARiderX Long timer

Oddometer:
    it is not cramped at all! I was surprised myself (have no experience with this supermotard kinda ride). I'm 6'4" myself and I don't think I have been on another bike with such seat to peg distance as this one. (except maybe my own 990 adventure with high seat) It has a good leg angle compared to many other bikes, especially at my size.

The most important for me is the way my thigh goes. It has to have a downward angle (at least a bit) otherwise on long trips it aches where my leg joins my torso.

The hyperstrada is short front to back though. I'm so tall on it that I doubt that the windshield does anything else than blow wind directly on my chest. It feels well 'below' compared to shields on other longer bikes more upfront.

But I am definitely intrigued!! Great machine, great value, not heavy!
  4. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to see someone else with a 990 with positive things to say about the Hyperstrada!
  5. jerdog53

Oddometer:

Wizz I really don't think you will feel cramped my buddy is 6' and he is comfortable on it. The SP motards are taller if need be and all the Strada bits will bolt on.

I have spoken to Woody's and wheels are do able yet everything comes at a price. I have thought about going to a 19" in front but keeping the 17" rear just make it a 150 rather than a 180 for more options. I have also thought about swapping the forks out with some KYB 48mm longer stroke frickers which would optimize the 19" front but who knows at this point. I'm going to ride the heck out of it this summer with my buddy who has the 650 Wee and go from there.
  6. DeedsyDragon

DeedsyDragon Moto Dragon

Oddometer:
    Any word on hard panniers for this bike? That's the only thing making me shy away from it.
  7. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Ducati Bellevue up Seattle way is selling a Givi Trekker bolt on kit they are currently the only ones. Anything built for the Multi12 tail / trunk will bolt onto the Strada as well.
  8. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    I am sending my suspension to race tech and asking them to set it up as a dual sport. I will circle back to you guys when I put it back on the bike. I am also interested in going to 19" on the front. As for the rear being a 180 (5.5 inch rim) we could do a tkc80 but thats too dirt oriented for me. I am planning on doing part of the UTBDR this year with the karoo 3 in a 170 size. Is that a bad idea?? Jerdog when it warms up lets go riding!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
  9. jerdog53

Oddometer:

Simon!! Where the heck you been??

One of the guys over on the Hyperstrada forum had Race Tech rework his fork and he is quite satisfied but then he is strictly street rider.

I am interested in seeing what they come up with.

I have talked to two different dealers about the 170s on the rear and none thought it would be an issue, what will you run on the front? I'm pretty much set on the TCK80s as we really have no other options.
  10. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    Lol... 3 kids.... wife. ... skiing...

11. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what tire to run up front. I might stick with the mt60r that I am using now.

12. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Did you ever do anything with skid plate / sump guard?
  13. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah I installed the sw mototech skid plate you found

14. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    :clap

Are you happy with it? Unless theres pictures it didn't happenÂ….
  15. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    Im happy with it. I will send pics next week. Im away until Monday

16. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    TCK-80s are on order! :thumb
  17. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    Here are the pics as promised:

Pretty big hole from on the left side if you removed your canister.
    [​IMG]

Nice protection on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

Looks good from the front.
    [​IMG]

Then some of my cockpit view with windshield bracket support and PUIG extension on the touring windshield. Not pretty but works well. Would work great if I was a couple of inches shorter...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. jerdog53

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It does look good! :thumb
  19. COboy

COboy b00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, so I went out for a ride today after installing the race tech suspension. So... it TRANSFORMED the bike. On the pavement you no longer feel every pavement imperfection and for the first time actually feel the shock working. High speed turns felt the same. The only bad thing is a noticeable nose dive under sudden hard braking.

Off road though, the difference is incredible! I did a little bit of single tracking today, went over rocks, roots, etc and it feels like a completely different bike. You NEED to install a good skid plate though as now with the better suspension, I have a lot more confidence to go faster over bigger obstacles and more than once I heard the plate getting hit by rocks.

I was considering getting an 1190R, but not now. For $1,000 I think it was WELL worth it!

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. jerdog53

Oddometer:

Love it!! :clap

I am glad that Race Tech works so well for you, we'll have to compare them side by side maybe this weekend... I have been itching to get these TCK80 dirty!

I have installed the SW-Mototech skid plate and some 2' Rox risers to get the handle bars in a better location for standing. At first I didn't think the bars would fit with an additional 2" of heights but once I cut the zip ties to the wiring behind the headlight there was enough. I could have done with an additional inch of height for me but I don't think there is enough cable length for a 3" riser.

Let's get together one day this weekend and burn some hydrocarbons! :deal