Question for Garmin Montana users

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Asia & the Pacific Rim' started by peteandheidi, Apr 15, 2014.

1. peteandheidi

peteandheidi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello

Just used my montana for the first time and have a question.

I found that between power cycles of the unit the mapping draws a 'as the crows flys' tracklog line between point where the unit was switched off and where it is switched back on.
    This does not really concern me and having had a number of garmins over the years i think that most/all have done this and simply saving a tracklog prior to switching it off was the answer.

However i have noted that the montana as well as drawing the line also adds the distance of that line to both the odometer and the trip meter. This also affects the average speed which is how i discovered the problem, riding along with a max speed of 80km/h and an average speed of 200km/h.

Simply resetting the trip computer after powering up before a ride solves both the trip meter average speed issue but at this point as i trailer the bike to my ride start points my odometer is rendered useless.

Is there anyway around this??

A quick google search turned up this

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=297979

so i know that it is common to all/most/some montana units rather than just mine but it dosn't offer any solutions.
  2. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    I don't understand your question Pete . Sorry :norton

After reading your post 4 times now ...... is it that you wish to keep a record of the distance the Montana has traveled on the bike only , without the distance trailer -ed ?

If that is the case you may have to keep a written record in a note book or something , after returning to your trailer each ride add the distance to the log . Most of us don't really care about the odo I would think , so not been thinking about this issue .
  3. peteandheidi

Oddometer:
    Hey Alan.

Sorry for not making it clear, but yes that was what i wanted to know. Bike kms only not including those on the trailer.

I was considering doing away with the dash altogether and using the gps as the odometer.

I did this with my previous map60csx on both my dr650 and 625 without a problem which is why i was surprised to find the problem on the montana.
  4. oodeano

oodeano Some Guy

Oddometer:
    So the knee is coming good then . . ?

I know nothing about Motana's :D
  5. peteandheidi

Oddometer:
    :D

Yes knee is good. I cycle 30 or so km's 5 days a week ATM.It feels strong enough but the surgeon has told me not to go on serious ride till the 6 month mark since surgery.

Fortunately that lines up almost to the day with the Rideadv 3 day high country ride so i have booked a spot in that . Nothing like easing back into it.

I've only ridden up the dirt road through St Albans so far just to check that the new bike/setup is all working as it should.

Going to come down to the wire as to whether my custom knee braces that i have ordered will be delivered in time so i might have to do easier option course they have set if i have to ride without knee protection.
  6. bigredroosta

bigredroosta Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can possibly offer a work around as my 62s does it too, remember to turn the tracking OFF when you finish the ride, then remember to turn it back on to start the next ride.
    I've seen like an 11,500km/hr 50 km section on a track log, that's not bad for an XR650R!
    Seems like something Garmin might address in a software update if you let them know.
  7. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    just got my Montana out and looked at the setup menu Pete ,

Go to Setup ,
    go to Shortcuts ,
    go track log on , then main menu tab .
    then go track log off , then main menu tab.

This then allows you to turn the track log on and off from the main menu screen at start up and turning off and should achieve your desired result . It may not though as these things are not really designed to do what you actually intend to do with it .
  8. peteandheidi

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips guys...will give that a go.
  9. Camel 640

Camel 640 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other possibility is to clear current track before a ride ( clears trailer log ) then at the end of your ride save current track , archive if y wish should end up with a log of all your different tracks.??:norton sorry more info . Go to menu --track manager --- view current track on map ,save and or archive , then clear current track and y are back to a clear page .