STO Rally. Looking for Inputs

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jul 2, 2013.

1. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have never attended a scooter rally but am considering attending this one in September. I did look at the forum for this rally but I'm looking for inputs from anyone who has been to this rally in the past.

Anyone here planning on going this year?

This rally fits into my vacation schedule. I could go to Branson the first half of the week to make the wife happy then do this rally.

Any other rallys coming up in the southeast this year that anyone wants to comment on?
  2. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have it on my calendar, but my going depends on a couple of things,

1st my health at that time :cry

2nd if my 2012 Burgman has sold by then or not :deal
  3. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    I ran STO for two years. It's a fun rally. Eureka Springs is a great location for the rally with lots of twisty roads in the area. There is a fairly good mix of younger and older riders with and without riding ex patience. I Eureka offers good eats and good shopping. The host hotel is a nice venue too.
  4. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm going again this year too. Been down there twice so far. Good roads, fun rides, camaraderie and interesting sights to see. (Dogwood canyon is absolutely gorgeous!!!) This year two friends and I are riding down there to the rally from here in Michigan. I'm looking forward to it. (going to try and win something again in the "show and shine" event)
  5. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    I payed for the room and rally, and never went. I hate trying to plan in advance. Not doing that again. So, maybe I"ll be there and maybe not. Love Eureka Springs itself tho.
  6. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the inputs. I still haven't made any definite plans. I'll try to decide in the next few weeks. Hopefully there will be some hotel rooms left.
  7. TheReaper!

TheReaper! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where in S.E. Mi. ? I'm in Clinton Township .

TheReaper!
  8. bandito2

bandito2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not far, maybe 18 miles or so away; just north and to the west a little in Rochester Hills
  9. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:
    One caveat on this rally, don't expect a bunch of vendors. This has always been a rally about riding the twisties nearby, not so much hanging around the rally HQ during the day. I'd expect 75 or so folks, so a vendor would have to bring pretty popular, high-markup items to make it worth his/her while. We've had a few try their best (esp. Marty with Travelling 2-Wheel and Ian with Two Wheel Touring, LLC), but they just couldn't make enough to pay for their time.

Rally riders are typically over 40 (some exceptions). However, we had a few young bucks that I set up on some pretty aggressive riding last year (e.g., Hwy 374/123 near Jasper) and they rolled back into HQ with their hair on fire. Like anything, the rally is what an attendee makes of it.

Like DRZCharlie, I ran it for a couple of years too (the last 2), and this year I am definitely looking forward to riding and hanging out afterward tipping a few adult beverages and maybe a cigar around the fire pit.
  10. klaviator

Oddometer:

Sounds like my kind of rally
  11. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still hoping i can make it , if my Burgman is not sold by then and my health holds up I am going to try.:wink:
  12. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    This one is coming up in a few weeks. You could make it a "weekender" w/o taking so much time off. Great bunch of people, interesting place to ride and probably the "style" you are talking about. "Ya'll Come!"
    All the info you need right here.....
    http://maxi-scoots.com/scoot/index.php?board=36.0
  13. Valentino Magoo

Oddometer:
    Put your notice up in the "Stickies" thread at the top of Battlescooters announcing rallies here. You'll attract lots more folks than in a thread about another specific rally.

By the way, driller, that looks like an AWESOME rally.
  14. rowdyc

rowdyc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was I that you provided that route during the poker run. We are both over forty. For us, that route was one of the many highlights of the rally. This is strictly a riding rally. Unlike other rallies, most are in rooms way before midnight. As the rides starts early.
    I plan to attend this year. My riding buddy from last year is not attending. I hope to find someone else to ride up with me this year??
  15. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Looks like a nice rally but it won't fit into my schedule:cry
  16. Valentino Magoo

Oddometer:
    No way! I put you in the mid-30's...one of you rode an MP3, right? I suck at ages, take it as a compliment!

Glad you're coming up. The only Texan's I seeing as already paid for registration are: Jimmy H.(Wimberley, TX).
    Randy & Kathy R.and Ed W (Orange, TX). I have no clue where Randy and Kathy are riding from, though. I guess you could post up on that forum. Seems like Orange and Wimberley are possible meet-up riders, though?

Even if I'm alone, I'll be out with my cooler by the fire this year after the riding is done.

I'll give you a better route up, if you want, to avoid Hwy 62 crap if you are coming in after dark (I remember those last switchbacks in made an interesting end of a long ride at night).
  17. windburn

windburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just sold my Silver Wing so I'm without wheels at the moment. I'm looking for a new ride but I my wait until my move from Ohio to North Carolina is completed. We just sold the house and today we moved our belongings minus the Silver Wing. So what is a Tar Hill anyway?
  18. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's" Tar Heel ", comes from the tar that washes up on our beaches gets on your feet and helps keep you stuck to your surf board :rofl

When you get here , let me know i have a 2012 Burgman for sale :D
  19. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    Good luck making the move. Wish you could make the Cumberland meet. Enjoyed meeting you out in St. Louis. Hope to see you down here.
    Story goes like this....
    During the Civil War, a North Carolina regiment was ordered to hold their position in a battle. They held fast and did not yield ground despite a fierce attack. A general was heard saying 'those boys must have tar on their heels, they stuck to their positions so hard".
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :D

On topic, work schedule got in the way of thinking about STO. Some day I will ride the "Pig Trail".
  20. klaviator

Oddometer:
    Unless something comes up, I will be attending the STO rally. I reserved a room at the comfort Inn. I plan on being in Branson for the first part of the week doing the usual tourist cra.....I mean stuff with my wife.