One Bike to Rule Them All?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by FishrCutB8, Nov 22, 2012.

1. FishrCutB8

FishrCutB8 Toughen up | Don't be stupid

Oddometer:
    The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
    It looks like prices are coming down, so perhaps waiting is the answer. Couldn't hurt - I live in PA and there isn't a lot of riding weather ahead for a while.

Curious about where you look for bikes. Craigslist. Cycle Trader. These seem the usual places. Anywhere else?
  2. dean-o

dean-o Dabs often

Oddometer:
    Rode a 1am bus to Columbus, Oh in April & picked it up. Fun leisurely 2 days back to old hickory, tn...
    dean
  3. SnappNBrrap

SnappNBrrap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you're definitely in the denial stage of MBS (multiple bike syndrome) however, it can be cured or rather the symptoms can be treated, for a while

1 - you can buy a new bike which you will be happy with for some time, but you will miss your current bike and or wish you had never gotten rid of it

i recommend the Tiger 800XC, Super Tenere, Ducati MS, or the F800GS

2 - you can get another bike and it will prevent your MBS symptoms from arising for some time. you will then forego the withdrawals of selling your bike but will hit you in the wallet pretty hard.

or for this route you could get a Street legal KTM XC model, a KLR, or something similar as a 2nd bike.
  4. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    Might as well add the R12GS to the list of possibilities. In the seven years I've owned mine, six other bikes have come and gone. It's the best bike I've ever owned.
  5. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Here's the thing about BMWs, and it could be sacrilegious to say it, especially here: I don't trust them. First, the cost of repair on these ,a hinges seems higher compared to other bikes. True or not, I don't know, but that has been my overriding perception.

Second, I have a buddy who had problems with his servo unit on the ABS. His bike locked up and down he went. Not cool. Even less cool is that this has been a documented problem with BMW ABS and they don't seem to be terribly interested in recalling the bikes. They'd rather, it seems, have owners come in and spend the $2k to get the thing fixed.

Like I said, brand me a heretic and burn me at the ADV stake, but I just can't get past that perception...
  6. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1... (mine was an '05 non ABS, video in sig line :D )

This is the '05 Tiger I have now, a great bang for the buck bike (have a little less than $5K in it) with a sweet triple that keeps me grinning as well.....

[​IMG]

:ricky
  7. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    I will admit I have only had mine for one year and 9,780 miles. Not a lot. To date I have had zero issues (other than cupping the front Anakee 2 AGAIN!!!).

I believe the 1150 is a different animal than the 1200. I will concede the ABS issue. But you can remove it if you want, and the whole process looks to take a weekend of careful work by a novice. Me? I'm keeping it. I have a second servo in case.

No, not defending the brand. Well maybe.

I have read the stories, they are there. But the ride and capability have outweighed the possible downsides. For now.
  8. Lav1200

Lav1200 Pig Pen

Oddometer:
    +1 on the 955i Tiger. Great 2-up do-it-all bike for the riding conditions you describe. Lots of soul with one of the best motors ever to be placed between 2 wheels.
  9. ten.98

ten.98 ...leave a trail

Oddometer:
    I'll throw another vote on for the Multistrada. If you're only going to have one bike (and can afford a 2nd set of wheels) this is the bike to have. On street tires it will outpace anything else in it's class. Throw a set of TKC's on and it will keep up with any similarly sized bike in the dirt. Truly the best of both worlds.

[​IMG]
  10. keystiger

keystiger rat on a roll

Oddometer:
    I would suggest a Triumph Tiger, either the 955i or the older version both pictured below. Can be had for under your budget, will do what your asking of it 1 or 2 up and is just simply a BLAST. Durable & reliable. If you are looking for something that "stirs your soul" and single-twins or 4 bangers ain't doin it, do yourself a HUGE favor and go play with a triple. You'll be hooked.
    A pic of my 955i:
    [​IMG]

And an older version Tiger like a 97-or 98 model belonging to a fellow inmate here, hope he doesn't mind I used his pic.
    [​IMG]
  11. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's no problem to run them down here, or their owners. I had no idea I was a rich, pompous, brand loyal, stuck up, Starbucks loving, asshat that had no idea how to spend my own money properly until I said something nice about my '05 GS here...:lol3

I opted for the non ABS model in '05, looks like I made the best decision in that regard. Although I have no personal experience one way or the other, only things I have read here.

Heck, that's your opinion, if someone else doesn't agree, or like it, then it's their problem. :wink:

If you really want to wad some panties, and have a defender parade, it's as easy as typing POS, & HD in the same sentence..:lol3

Just glad I bought my GS in '05 BEFORE joining this forum.....:deal
  12. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    good grief .. some of the pigs suggested is amazing ... don't get me wrong. not saying a beast is not a good bike. just not for much dirt riding.

"One bike to do it all" means a somewhat lighter bike.

your margin of error slinging around say a 575lb + gear (Super Tenere) bike on the dirt is very slim indeed. a Tiger or 800GS at 460lb + gear gets closer.
  13. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Well, glad nobody is grabbing their torches and pitchforks, yet....

Question about the 955i: it looks to me that the stock seat slopes down. Is a seat upgrade recommended for two-up? Asking because I did see an '05 in decent shape and the posts here have me thinking....
  14. FishrCutB8

Oddometer:
    Another MAJOR reason I was looking at El Tigre....
  15. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    There will be varying opinions on seats for sure. My bike had the triumph gel rider's seat on it when I bought it. To me it was more "U" shaped feeling locking me in one position (I'm a big guy tho).

After doing a little research it appeared the Corbin was the most liked/bought aftermarket seat for the 955i, so I had one of them built to suit me. I really like it thus far as well. It definitely gives me more room for movement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. 4jranch

4jranch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread. I think multi-bikes may be an honest answer. A single bike to accomplish all your goals, doubt it. If you could rank the goals in order of importance and pick a bike that can do the top two or three well, that should work. I have a ST1300A, (great for touring,heavy for around town), and a F800GS, (great for around town and dirt roads, but two up and touring- not so much). They all all compromises. Great suggestions given, ride them all if you can then pick the best compromise. Or buy a 2nd bike...:1drink
  17. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Well, at least until the cast wheels crack anyway :lol3

Wicked looking bike for sure! Any more pics of it ?
  18. ortho55

ortho55 n00b

Oddometer:
    I was getting back to dual sport last summer ( family medical emergency postponed it big time). Used to ride a 250 Enduro Yamaha about 25 years ago . I am no spring chicken ( 57 years old but in good shape) .
    I am looking into adventure motorcycling such as the Trans American Trail and wonder if the 1200 GS Rally with its 600 pound weight is not too much bike for me. I would love a smaller bike but with good range.
    I have ridden KLRs extensively about 8 years ago as rentals in Alaska and Mexico (Baja) . Likes I but found them a bit uncomfortable for long rides.
    Any suggestions or just bite the bullet and try to tame the big Bimmer.
    Thanks
  19. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Youll be fine on it until you hit the eastern slope. Colo, Utah (TAT proper) and Nevada will having you wish you were on a 650 or smaller type bike. You can do it, but you'll questioning your decision I guarantee.
  20. 2tallnwide

2tallnwide Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just for the record, I am not recommending anyone ride motocross, hare scrambles, enduros, or even goat trails on a 955i Tiger. That being said, if one can not ride the Tiger solo/2up on dirt/gravel roads, it's not the bike's fault. :deal

Have also found that the heavier, and more expensive the adventure bike, the less likely I am to do stupid chit with it off pavement. Bout killed myself on many "light" dirt bikes over the years, but only dumped the GS a couple of times off pavement, neither resulting in bike, or flesh damage...:D

YMMV as always