Radioman Rides the World.......

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Radioman, May 19, 2011.

1. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's a good thing you finally got a flat or you would've felt dumb for carrying all that gear around for nothing. Your pics are bringing back a lot of good memories. I'm jealous. :freaky
  2. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

I could never find tubeless type tires when I was traveling. I had tubless rims, but I always ended up running tubes anyway.
  3. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Way to rock SA Mark. It's great to "ride" along with you, and share some of your adventures. I'm surprised, and thankful, that you are finding Internet connections where you travel. How hard has that been so far?

Haven't seen any "Jumps for Joy" lately! I'm hoping to see one on the Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia.

Keep on, keeping on.

-= Scott
  4. MoBill

MoBill Smiles when says dat

Oddometer:
    Le Murphy Mr radioman..... :)

You're the man. Always prepared, love that.
  5. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Finally was able to upload the rest of my photos from Canon Del Pato. With the sheer cliffs, gravel road, and tunnels I continued on my ride.
    After the dam, I finally saw a sign telling me I was on the right road. :lol3

[​IMG]

Along the river

[​IMG]

Starting to rise in Elevation.

[​IMG]

Some waterfalls along the way.

[​IMG]

Huge overhangs ...... Yea! :clap this is beautiful and vast. No one else around on this part of the Canon..... :ricky

[​IMG]

As I gained altitude I finally hit pavement again. The as I started to leave the Canon Del Pato on my way to Caraz.

[​IMG]

Start to see a bit of vegetation as I head toward 7,000 feet (2,200 Meters)

[​IMG]

Into the high Valley.

[​IMG]

I reach the small town of Caraz. it is a greta little town with typical Peruvian color and culture at the base of some huge mountains.

[​IMG]

I find a hotel San Marcos which is just 30M down hill from the main Square. As I ask about secure parking..... They decided that i should park in their living room :huh :D I have parked my bike in so many places that it feel normal :evil

[​IMG]

Get settled into my room. Many of the small hotel have locks like this.

[​IMG]

The sun is going down and the clouds are building in the mountains. I had been checking weather so that I would come up the canon in nice weather to see the maximum views. But I know rain is on the way in the higher altitudes

[​IMG]

I had an extra rear tube but no patch kit..... So went down to the local tire repair guy....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He patched it right up for $1.95 (im sure it is Gringo pricing...but what am I to do).

[​IMG]

Just a couple observations and confirmations.Even in these small quiet towns many businesses and homes have large gates and security. Hard for me to get used to this.

[​IMG]

I have seen many buildings and sheds that have this woven mat to stop the wind, and keep people out. Fun seeing the patterns and textures of these mats.

[​IMG]

I have read many times about the dogs in Peru being very aggressive toward motorcycle and barking and chasing out in front of you. And it's true. No photos yet, but they come running. I typically slow down and then gas it by them. Just have to be very alert in the small towns. The dogs through Mexico and Central America were fairly docile and looked fairly weak. Not sure why but maybe here in Peru they are "pets" and are more protective.

The Peruvian Ladies mostly wear these large woven hats and colorful cloths.

[​IMG]

Sunday Morning I was up early for a walk. Of course there was a Market area. Lots of color!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bring their meat to the market.

[​IMG]

and folks going to church.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots of the Moto Taxi's to carry people and goods around. These basket are filled with the local bread.

[​IMG]

The high snow capped mountains peak out of the clouds...

[​IMG]

I am in this High valley just below the stunning mountains. Have ridden to Huaraz which is a much bigger town just an hour south. Lots of trekking and mountain climbing going on in the Andes!
  6. Smithee

Smithee Head Bottle Washer

Oddometer:
    Great photos Mark. I'm now officially addicted to following you on this journey.

I'll look forward to your posts about Lima. Looking Lima up on Wiki, it appears the city and surrounding area are the fourth largest metropolitan area in the Americas, after São Paulo, Mexico City, and New York City.

Keep those posts coming and be safe!
  7. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Being a baker, I'm curious what this local bread is. Got any pictures?
  8. Montek

Montek Eternal Noob

Oddometer:
    goodie, u be back the the amricas!!!! looks like u had a great summer!!!!

Monte
  9. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Broke it/Bought it Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, you get around! :lol3
  10. Isorg

Isorg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh my... i am .... current!

thanks for the several day distraction!

Radioman, you sir are very dangerous! planting seeds of my own undoing you are!
  11. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    Indeed.
    2 days ago I related a brief summary of this thread and the backstory to my wife--

Her response was "dont get any ideas..."
  12. IceCreamSoldier

IceCreamSoldier suffering somewhere

Oddometer:
    wow, loved that last bunch of pics!!! Adventure Rider :clap Thank you!
  13. petefromberkeley

petefromberkeley -

Oddometer:

The first time I met Grant Johnson who owns Horizons Unlimited, instead of saying hi I said "you just cost me my job" and without missing a beat he smiled and said "yeah, I hear that a lot"
  14. shallowskiff

shallowskiff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Man you just do a great job posting and updating. I have been following for a long time and I hope all this posting and updating is therapeutic for you because we all enjoy it.

THANKS!!!
  15. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Not sure, but they are a roll that is warmed for Breakfast with Butter and Jam.

[​IMG]
  16. Radioman

Oddometer:
    Got to Huaraz on Saturday morning as it is only an hour from Caraz. Stayed a hostal called Joe's Place with a small spot for two bike. was 30 Soles (11.76 USD) for a single room.

[​IMG]

Met up with a couple of English folks. Cress is riding her bicycle in south America and doing some trekking for over a year down here. Tom is checking out the trekking for a travel service based in Spain. Always great to meet other travelers!

We had a great dinner here.

[​IMG]

Just 5 hours from Lima, and know that I need to get some things done while there including a Brazil Visa which can take a week. So I ride on to Lima Monday Morning.

Huaraz is at 3,000 Meters (9,842 feet). and the mountains are showing rain/Snow this week. I ride off down the "valley"

The air is cool and crisp!

[​IMG]

Some Beautiful mountains in the distances, but mostly covered in clouds.

[​IMG]

As I ride, I see that I am climbing to 4,051 Meters (13290 feet)

[​IMG]

Wide open spaces. Loving the ride. It is great!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wishing the mountains be clear ..... They are awesome to look at!

Stop to take a photo when I see a bit of clearing.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I continue on knowing that I will be dropping down to the Panamerica coast road .....

[​IMG]

As I descend down the switchback and into the lower valleys, I see crops growing and then lots of corn and peppers drying in the sun.

[​IMG]

Once on the Panamerican Hwy, I come across my first "protest".

[​IMG]

As I asked what was happening one of the truckers said that the Professors where Protesting.... They do this by piling up rocks and brush and burning to stop the traffic. I waited about 1/2 hour while the policia show up and clear the road.....

[​IMG]

On down the Hwy to Lima.

[​IMG]

As you ride into big cities, Lima is about 9 million or so.... it is always difficult as the traffic increases, I had heard the drivers where a bit crazy..... and finding the locations can be difficult. My first stop is to the BMW dealer to have a service done on my bike.

Miles from Lima the traffic starts to build....

[​IMG].

But I had studied my maps, and was ride to the dealer fairly easily! :clap

I arrive at the BMW motorad is part of the Mini auto dealer. They were expecting me, as I emailed ahead to Eduardo!! Who is the head of the service department and speaks english!!

[​IMG]

I off load my gear and they call a driver to deliver to the hotel....

I found this hostal which was very nice .... But more expensive. 111 Soles ($43.5 USD) but I know that I need a good nights rest and I will need to get to the Brazilian Consulate in the morning to start the Visa process.

[​IMG]

Traveling solo has had my expenses go up. So far I am averaging about $62.00 day with room and fuel and food. Just part of the travel. I have heard it from many others who trvel south that it is more expensive that Mexico, or central..... So I am prepared for this.
  17. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Mark, I am following along during layover on my trip back north. (Some of us have to work! :rofl ) My bike and gear are now staged in Cuenca and I can't wait to get back down south and get rolling again. I am loving your photos!
  18. Ben Carufel

Ben Carufel Boxer Addict

Oddometer:
    Mark, certain parts of that last update of yours sound like they're written by a non-English speaker!

You sure you're not assimilating into the Spanish speaking culture?!?

:rofl
  19. JoDawg

JoDawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mark, those buns are all shell with nothing inside. You get tired of them pretty fast, trust me! LOL
  20. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Today was a good day to pick up the old book(thread) and see what Mark is up to. Good stuff. :thumb