The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    All was now right with the world and I decide to crank out some miles and get into the rhythm of the bike. A steady rain the previous night provided the day with that cool, moist, air lightly scented with the fragrant aroma of the forest. I rode with my visor opened a touch savoring the feel of it on my face and the pure sweetness of it in every breath I took.

After a while the torture device BMW lovingly refers to as it's stock seat dictated a stop. Guard rails and narrow shoulders meant I needed to turn down an alternate road or come across a pull out.

A few miles down the road I see a paved pull out:clap As I coast in that pure sweetness i am breathing is replaced by the familiar odor of death and decay that seems to flow through your nostrils and coat the back of your throat and mouth with a thick viscous oily substance.

Peering over the guard rail I find.........

The Source

[​IMG]

Wiley Coyote has left the building. I'm left wondering did he die on that spot from natural causes or has the State of New York decided that one of the ways to close their massive budget deficit is to simply heave road kill off at convenient rest stops rather than doing whatever they usually do with it. I did'nt even bother to take my helmet and gloves off, so I just held my breath as long as possible and rode on.

Fortune was shining on me however and just a few more clicks up the road I spotted......

This

[​IMG]

And in the 20 minutes or so I lingered along its grassy banks and rocky shores ,in sharp contrast to my last stop I found various shapes and forms of...

Life in All It's Splendor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
    Nice job on the wildlife pics:thumb
    Do you spend a lot of time just relaxing and waiting for stuff like that?
    I imagine the tortioise was a bit easier to chase than the others:D
  3. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    Lupine, frog on rocks & my favorite meal ~ turkey! Gotta love it, excellent eye!
  4. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
    :thumb Those last ones are great, Joe!
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    :thumb I love the frog pic!
  6. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Dave, elder rogue,Mike, dragonflylily thanks for stopping by again

Dave, I trust you have started your book ?:clap :clap :clap

Darth Peach, witness, 257bob, antontrax, prtclmn991, dave6253 thanks for visiting and the comments

Antonteax - Some times I wait, sometimes I search. The snapping turtle was just off the shoulder of the road laying eggs, I assume she came from the marsh on the opposite side of the road as I believe they would avoid flowing rivers and streams, the frog was in a little still pool right on the shore . the turkeys wandered up while i was sitting quietly and I managed just 2 shots before they spooked - sometimes you get lucky. BTW smokin website you got, great photography and great shooting tips
  7. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Altough the road I was on offered beautiful scenery it was also one of the roughest paved roads I've ever traveled so I pulled a U turn and retraced my route for a bit until I came to a promising looking right turn and proceeded south

And even though I missed.........

The Rodeo Cowboys

[​IMG]

I did get to see............

The Whitewater Cowboys

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the appointed lunch meeting was coming closer and I had one more stop to make beforehand. As I started away the thought comes unbidden to mind, that even though on the road we travel sometimes we hit a ....

Rough Patch

[​IMG]

For the most part.........

Life is Pretty Damn Good

[​IMG]
  8. sdpc2

sdpc2 Just another Rally Rat

Oddometer:
    brings back lots of memories for me, as i grew in in the foothills of the 'daks', and know that area that you traveled well.

Great piks!

sdc
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fixed your thread title as per your request :thumb
  10. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    Great Photos and ride. I have been wanting to get out that way, maybe in the fall for a long weekend.

Thanks for posting

Mike
  11. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    so I do The Hadley Luzerne are offers great white water rafting, tubing and kayaking opportunities and while you won't encounter the class IV and V rapids of the big rivers of the western states there are plenty of class III rapids. All of these however depend on the release of water from the dam and for this they depend on.........

Brookfield Power

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a great place to see this phenomenon is also..........

Historic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Though the sign states it was closed in 83 it is open albeit as a single lane.

The next two shots are taken from a similar vantage point on the bank showing ....

Before The Flood

[​IMG]

And...

After The Flood

[​IMG]

And the next two were taken from the deck of the bridge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And naturally when the river is flowing it brings out.......

Smiling Faces

[​IMG]

A couple miles away brings me to Stewart Bridge. Standing on the bridge this is the view to the ..........

East

[​IMG]

This is the Hudson River, the blue water in the background is the main branch and flowing from it is one of its offshoots ( also this is the narrowest point in the entire 315 mile length of the Hudson)

And looking.........

West

[​IMG]

It joins the Sacandaga river. for a point of reference if you hung a right just past the remnants of the concrete wall in the middke right of the picture you would see the Parabolic Bridge about 50 yards up

My blood sugar is getting low a 180 and head North yet again hoping to find a good lunch
  12. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    last week of September into 1st week of October is generally peak color in the Adirondacks, Avoid columbus day weekend at all costs unless you love riding in traffic
  13. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Quick stop for lunch here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reuben, Pulled Pork, Boneless chicken wings. Great place definetly worth stopping again. Possibly the best boneless wings I've ever had

[​IMG]
  14. Elder_Rogue

Elder_Rogue Loser Gone Wild

Oddometer:
    :tb Oh man, all that looks good. :thumb
  15. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading up to Bolton the second week of August, probably driving, maybe riding. If you're around it'd be nice to find some decent roads and photography sights!

Great Ride Report! :thumb
  16. EsconDeasy

EsconDeasy Ectomorph

Oddometer:
    Marcy Field! :clap

You could head over to the west side of the runway, and there is a trail to Porter, one of the Adirondack 46. I miss those mts.
  17. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Jeebus. Trade the ceiling "art" for a few college pennants and I'd swear I was having a beer at the Garrison. Sure, I'd have to ignore that there was a window looking west where that door is, but still . . . :cry
  18. timk519

timk519 Long timer

Oddometer:
    great stuff!
  19. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    bikes with Lunch eaten and we're gone. Roger has been leaning toward selling the road King and getting a sidehack, so we decided to do a bit of window shopping , s we headed to Chestertown to visit...

Adirondack Ural

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were working on installing the side car on this, the camo paint IMHO really made this stand out, if I was in the market for a Ural, this would be the one.

The guy with the beard is Chris, the sakes manager, cool guy and very knowledgeable about bikes.

[​IMG]

We spent about 45 minutes talkingChris and then we were homeward bound.
  20. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    needrachen - sending you a pm

escondeasy - good eye, how do you like the desert compared to the
    Northeast, a lot better Npvember thru March I bet

Elderrogue - it was good, probably not as good as texas cue though

hannda = haven't been to the garrison in years, it does look similar