Around the World in 800 Days

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coots

Coots That's what she said

Oddometer:
    Ed,

That is too bad, and I am sorry to hear that it cost you that. But, having sold all your possesions, to do something you love and wanted so bad... I can only see this as her loss. Time heal all my friend, and remember, you have a bunch of friends here, even if we can't be there physically, we are here in spirit. Feel free to rant but don't woller in self pity. Enjoy the now, the ride, the adventure, and who knows things may work out for the best, because everytime a door closes, a window opens. Take care and remember we are here.

Shane
  2. Travis Lutter

Travis Lutter MMA

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that you lost your girlfriend!
  3. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    +++++++++++++1
    Sorry about the sad news Lalo :cry
    We are here for you...All the pretty Latino women are around you
    Have a few drinks hit some club
  4. Bgunn

Bgunn Listo

Oddometer:

I was in Montezuma last year, and hippie town fits it. Stayed in a place behind the park. A large drunk guy was in the park all night long talking to himself with a Pavarotti sounding voice. He finally passed out in the morning and someone brought him some food and something to drink and it started all over again.

Sorry about your girlfriend, but..... after your extended tour, and your back in town....You never know. Speaking from experience :wink:
  5. LUVMYDR

LUVMYDR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After reading for an hour about your trip Im reeeeaaaallllly jealous. Im planning a 7-10 day trip from Central Ca, up the coast into Oregon and the back down through Tahoe. How do you find these back roads? Im having trouble mapping out as much dirt as possible.
  6. Travelin

Travelin Travelin'Girl

Oddometer:
    Ed,

I absolutely love the pictures of the monkeys. I had one crawl on me in Honduras, but want to hold one...on my bucket list.

I finally stopped lurking, and signed up so I could write a note to you on here.

I am sorry that you have had to struggle with the relationship failure on this trip. I know it is hard even when you are in your comfortable home element. I am sure it is harder when you are traveling and already feeling somewhat alone.

Godspeed....stay safe and have a blast. Love your 76 pages so far..

Kim
  7. MotoGypsy

MotoGypsy Occasional rambler

Oddometer:
    Hi Ed,
    That is really tough! Sorry to hear that. I'm going through a divorce right now and getting ready to sell my beautiful home and much of my stuff. I've seriously thought about doing what your doing to just clear my head. Who knows, she might come around in time. Maybe she will realize this is what you needed to do at this juncture in your life. Its not like its forever. Anyway, stay positve.
    - Steve
  8. Luckies_AUT

Luckies_AUT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good morning Ed! (it's 8.20 a.m. in Vienna)

Don't know how you feel right now. But I would like to tell you two stories..
    Right know there's an Austrian guy on a RTW trip too. He left everything behind and was riding alone the first months. Last year he met a girl from the Netherlands in Thailand. They felt in love. She quited her job and sold everything to join him on his trip. Now they are riding together on two bikes.

Before we started our trip thru the U.S. last july, I met a canadian guy on this forum. He gave us good advices for our trip and until now we have a great friendship. He studied and grew up in Canada, moved to the U.S. and lived there many years. Now he lives in Vienna, couple minutes away from our place. Few weeks ago he met a girl, felt in love and he may stay forever now.

You never know what happens. ;)

My best wishes and stay save and healthy!
  9. Tensne1

Tensne1 n00b

Oddometer:
  10. Uncledeadly

Uncledeadly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AWESOME words!!! Thank you for your suggestion of these passages. Very timely in my life, and I believe great advice and direction for anybody!

Thanks!

11. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed,
    As many previous posts stated, keep on keeping on. If it was meant to be, she may be there in a year- This may also be an opportunity for you to be more free to meet the locals on a more personal level :evil
    The Tica's are super nice and wait until you get to Colombia and Venezuela !
    Enjoy this special time and live it to the fullest solo mento!
  12. motomundo antigua

motomundo antigua Tukker Motorsports

Oddometer:
    kom langs in mijn motorzaak in antigua guatemala, kunnen we ff koffiedrinken. zoveel nederlanders komen er niet langs op motoren.

Taz
  13. hankgs

hankgs Long timer

Oddometer:
    FYI... he is niet van Holland...
  14. MotoGypsy

MotoGypsy Occasional rambler

Oddometer:
    Hey Ed, I can sympathize. It's such a personal decision that has a major affect on your life. Nothing wrong at all with trying to patch things up -- you may not get another shot at it. You can always continue your journey later knowing that you tried. In other words - do what you need you need to do - to be happy. Best of luck buddy.
  15. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for your life altering 1116 and thanks for sharing your current life experiences with us

they say all for a reason, but we cant see the fine print on the reasoning
  16. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ed,

Stay focused on the task at hand and enjoy every moment.

Keep the rubber side down
  17. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's nice comments and support.
    I have been soaking in a lot of hot springs lately thinking about things and trying to figure out the best direction for me to head..........and that direction is south.
    There are no guarantees in life. You can only do your best and be the best person you can. Sometimes that is not enough........especially if other people are involved.
    There are no guarantees that I will finish this trip but if I don't, it will be my decision.
    In a relationship, you can do everything right and be the best person you can, and it can still end, not fault of your own.
    I am not saying that I have been perfect, but in this case, I have more control over the outcome and success in my motorcycle adventure that I ever had in any relationship back at home. It takes two to tango but only one to ride a motorcycle around the world.
    So I am still heading south.......albeit slowly.
    I am taking my time in Costa Rica because my boat doesn't leave Panama until the 21st. It has given me a chance to explore this beautiful (but expensive) country.
    In a sea of 150cc bikes, my 1200cc motorcycle really stands out in a crowd.

[​IMG]
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I left the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica behind and headed in to the interior. The weather went from 95 degrees and sunny to 75 degrees and rainy. It was a nice change to feel it cool again.
    I took a ferry from the Nicoya Peninsula to Puntarenas. It took an hour and a half and cost less than $5 for me and my bike. It was the only thing so far in CR that has been inexpensive.

[​IMG]
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    On the ferry crossing, I met fellow adventure rider Miguel and his GF. They are from CR and were spending the weekend in Montezuma. He rides a Ducati Monster. He says there are not many Ducatis in CR. He also has good taste in riding apparral sporting a Rev'it jacket. He even put the Jacket to the test with a little spill on a dirt road leaving Montezuma. He and his GF were ok. The Ducati had some bent expensive Italian parts.

[​IMG]
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    My BMW............1
    Big Lizard...........0

This guy (or should I say gal) ran out in front of me and I hit her with my back tire. Sad, as I like lizards and snakes.

I also hit a chicken in Guatemala. I looked back in my rear view mirror and all I saw was feathers flying thru the air. And I hit the chicken in front of a big group of people.........and let's just say they were not happy with me.
    But I know what they had for dinner that night :D

[​IMG]
    PoviBike likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.