Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. genka

genka Stand with Ukraine

Oddometer:
    Our local BMW dealer offers $15 discount for keeping appointment on a rainy day.
    http://www.bobsbmw.com/service/bobs-rainy-day-service-special/
  2. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
  3. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
  4. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    Leave it outside and the rain washes it, right? :lol3
  5. KG6BWS

KG6BWS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats my theory. :thumb
  6. Perre

Perre Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was riding from Stockholm, Sweden trough Poland, etc down to southern Jugoslavia on a Honda XL500 back then. On allmost every stop for fuel I had to explain that they where _abolutely not_ to put in two-stroke oil in. On one occassion, when I kick-started the engine, a very curious guy who had been overlooking the procedure burst out "-Ah, diesel!"
    :rofl:rofl
  7. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's pretty cool. I haven't been very impressed with the bike shops around here. Even the one BMW dealer (which is also a Suzuki dealer, and maybe one other) I've found to be pretty awful. A few years ago when I was looking for good ear plugs I stopped by the place. Asked the fella behind the counter if they carried any ear plugs. He shrugged. "What do you need those for?" He asked what kind of bike I rode and looked at me incredulously. Ear plugs? For what? You have the stock exhaust, right?

I will say the last time I was in there to look at the new V-Strom, a salesman came up, offered a much-welcome bottle of water or Coke, and even came outside to look at my current bike. But that's a rarity.

I dunno if it's the region or if I give off a bad vibe or what, but I can't pretty consistently count on terrible service at any of the Memphis motorcycle dealers. That said, one of our local ADV members just got a job selling bikes around here. I ought to go see him.

Jamie
  8. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Classic!
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the prices BMW charges for shop work I doubt that. It might get it closer to a fair price though.
  10. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I was all geared up about to leave a restaurant the other night when some guy strolls on over and starts talking. I wasn't looking so with the ear plugs in I didn't know he was there :lol3 When I noticed him I asked him to repeat himself. He was telling me some story about his truck being broke down and he was short 37 dollars for the tow truck...

I would have felt bad for the guy, but I swear this was the same guy who asked me for 37 dollars a year ago, in the same parking lot :rofl Either way, I had met my family there, and my wife left with my wallet and I had no money either.
  11. mneblett

mneblett Professional Lurker

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

I own too many BMW's to be able to contest this. :lol3

And yes, I got the "it snowed this morning, and you rode your bike in??" Duh -- flurries and nothing on the ground. Turn up the electrics and roll!
  12. Chip Seal

Chip Seal Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  13. ZGirl

ZGirl Girly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We rode to Reelfoot Lake with some friends a few weeks ago.
    After we had lunch at Boyette's we visited the eagles and the nature preserve (we were still in full gear except for helmets because it was cold)....

There was a group of young children hanging out at one of the vistas. One of our friends had a black one-piece F/S suit. As we passed, one of the more outgoing kids asked if he was a racecar driver. He just laughed and said yes and we kept walking... A little later I remembered it was the same day as the Daytona NASCAR race. :rofl
  14. Tammy

Tammy Team 2nd Wind

Oddometer:
    The best is did you ride to work in the snow, no i pushed it :lol3
  15. Qben

Qben Q

Oddometer:
  16. k-moe

k-moe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I teach elementary school. At the beginning of the year I introduce myself to the class with a slide show. The show includes pics of me and my motorcycle, which I use to transition into a discussion of safety and classroom rules. I ride to work nearly every day, and generally arrive just as the busses are unloading (we're open for breakfast 45 min. before classes start). I also keep my helmet on top of the file cabinet by my desk. Invariably, within the first month of school, one of the kids will say, "Mister, I didn't know you rode a motorcycle." :rofl Gotta love them.
  17. forrestrider

forrestrider Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer:
    There is a Boy Scout Troop over in Mobile for scouts with mental and physical disability's once a year they ask if rider's would ride in for about an hour and tell about there bikes and let the boys look at them. There were about 25 bikes there mostly H/D some BMW few other street bikes, I took my 990 covered in Mud, I put the bike on the center stand let some of the kids sit on it, one kid asked
    - How fast will it Go? -
    I say
    - It go's so Fast it you can goto Jail. -
    He jumps off the bike waving his hands in the air walking away saying
    I not sitting on that bike.
  18. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl

:clap

Good on you for doing that event :thumb
  19. basketcase

basketcase lifelong reject fixer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Many people seem fascinated by motorcyclists and the setting has a little bit to do with what I hear.

For example, riding in the Smokies on either bike during the riding season no one really pays much attention. But if I'm off the beaten path of motorcycling venues or otherwise out during the off season, I get two different sets of questions based on which bike I'm riding.

On the Gold Wing I usually get -
    1. "Where are you from?"
    2. "Where all are you going?"

And on the DR I typically get these:
    1. "Where are you from?"
    2. (Then looking me up and down) "You rode here from WHERE?"
    3. (And then, looking at the bike) "You rode here on THAT?"

From there the discussion can meander into all kinds of questions about the bikes, fuel economy, comfort, whatever.

But the openings are nearly always the same.
  20. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    That's fantastic!!! :clap