The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Just noticed the pictures on the "MOTORRAD" website and the picture source: Hohne.
    Bernhard M. Hohne
    ..so it's his material. Thank you Bernhard, me want to see more :D

[​IMG]
    Picture source: http://www.motorradonline.de/
  2. McFuryMcNugget

McFuryMcNugget me specie in dea ist

Oddometer:
    Grüssen Dancke.

And Happy new year.

Thank you for letting ADV hang on to these pictures.

If you care to give a freebee picture we would be head over heals :wink:

McFury.
  3. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Read the German article in "MOTORRAD" Magazine # 01-2012.
    - There is a linkeage mechanism behind the riders foot connecting the rear swingarm movement with the dampening settings, indication for a motorcycle first active suspension system....
    - 125...130PS and more if need be in the future...
    - Weight goal: < 240kg with full tank...
    - The front control arm (now aluminum) is different than before, the engine was designed to integrate the control arm...
    - Shorter engine, rider sits farther in the front of the bike and this will help keeping the front wheel on the road....
    - Adjustable screen (Electric)
    - Color TFT, GPS optional
  4. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    If true, I can certainly live with that.
  5. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:

GS or GSA?

That's 528 lbs., FYI. Kinda portly in my book.
  6. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hm. That's 1150 country (well, after I changed the exhaust...).
  7. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
  8. Steveman

Steveman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In germany the 1250 has been shot, looks nice. Check the cylinder and where the exhaust pipes is fixed....

follow this link and scroll: http://www.gs-forum.eu/showthread.php?p=898895

If you already knew these pics I apologise ....
  9. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read that (the Aug 2011 article). Good find. That site also has the "which bike is the best in the Alps" test. 1200GS won it again:D, but only just before KTM 990 SM T. More info on 1250 in current Motorrad mag, but i don't have access to that. I trust that article is available online shortly

However, i can't find any weight reference, nor sitting position reference (although i'm certainly not disagreeing with what you said), nor rear swing arm linkeage comments. Below quick translation of what it says, and excluding what has been put on here already.
    Note it indicates the bike has two radiators. Other then my comment in () this it what the article says:

New engine with integrated transmission is much more compact. This allows future configuartions such as shorter wheelbase, or longer swing arm
    Displacement will likely be 1250cc, but future bikes could have more. 1250cc would allow 130bhp with good torque curve. The relative small cross sections of intake and exhaust indicate a torque optimized bike, and Motorrad expects 125bhp. The current 1200cc boxer can handle nearly 10.000rpm, which indicates the engine should be able to get up to 150bhp in future, and stay competitive

Exhaust: new exhaust builds more narrow. Allows for more volume in RH side case. Employs the exhaust valve
    Drive shaft: it just says the wasserboxer also uses the parrallel arm to minimize the torque reactions of the drive line
    Rear frame: can now be easily removed , and allows for different variants of the bike (note think S/GS/GSA)
    Instruments: New instruments, round speedo, above it small tacho. Optional TFT display as on K1600 with all kinds of functions. Optional GPS device
    Radiators: the radiators are mounted unusually tilted backwards, probably due to the limited room and the fact the bike shouldn't be too wide. The underside of the beak fuctions as an aid for the radiator airflow.
    Brakes: new radial brakes, requiring newly designed forks
    Engine: Alternator and waterpump are likely in front of the crankcase. Optimal thermal conditions allow using only one sparkplug per cylinder
  10. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I meant the 01/2012 magazine, not August:

[​IMG]
    Ref: http://www.motorradonline.de/de/motorrad/865
  11. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's been frequent mention of "radial brakes" as a new feature. What are they? Why would they be better than the current style?
  12. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're registrered on that site? No matter what I try I keep getting the August article. And it's not like i can't read german, I think I'm still pretty fluent in this language (well except for spelling and etc).
    It does say the current mag contains an article about the new GS. The next new mag is out after Jan 4th or 5th, so I trust the article will be available online after that?
  13. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not an expert, but basically put a radial brake is one where the caliper is moved so that it sits parallel to the front fork. This allows more braking power, which is the standard arrangement for all new high performance motorcycles. From the photos I've seen the front brake is not a radial system.
  14. Gompie

Gompie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should try Google on "radial brakes". Really not that difficult. First hit is probably all you want to know about brakes right now. Takes less time than creating the response you did
  15. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    What does this imply?

[TaSK]
  16. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    I'm a subscriber to the printed MOTORRAD magazine and I usually receive it in Canada a week after it's published in Germany. As a suscriber you get 2 downloads / month, usually PDF's or movie files. Don't like the Motorrad website, the free iPad apps is ok and you can download the complete magazine from there (and pay for it).
    The current magazine (01/2012) has 3 or 4 full pages and the main article starts with the spy shot that's not been
    made available online, a shot over 2 pages showing the GS from the side. A lovely shot but I'm afraid to scan it and show here, copyright Bernhard...
  17. McFuryMcNugget

Oddometer:
    Well this does tell me that the gear´s are under the Cylinders, Like a High Tec Motor should be.
    I hope they make it 7 speed.

Looks like a top of the Line GS is on its way.

Happy New Year to Italy Tagesk.

McFury.
  18. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Originally Posted by Gompie [​IMG]
    New engine with integrated transmission is much more compact.

I think ultimately you loose the separate tranmission housing and oil volume, reduces the overall engine length and weight. The current GS engine block and transmission builds rather long and when you accelerate hard the front of the bike loses contact too easily for my liking so more weight in the front helps.
  19. McFuryMcNugget

Oddometer:
    As much as i like Made in Germany
    My German is not up to speed.
    If the Motorrad boys would make a Nordic language or English it would be much better for me. Since not all have the German voice gen.

McFury who wanted to study German harder in school , But the girls won that one.
  20. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Mr. McFuryMcNugget.
    I like this forum, so many nice and funny people here and so much combined knowledge, way more fun spending time here than reading a German motorcycle magazine in German.