KLR650 Only Thread......

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by willys, Nov 19, 2011.

1. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    Me too.... We'll know in a few weeks. I'm pretty confident, the sealer seems to have bonded well, I think the prep is very important. Are you doing the Mendo rally? It was great last year and I wouldn't miss it !!!
  2. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no extra torque or extra hp with this upgrade lol. Its simply replacing an OEM item that has a long history of failure. Your 89 also has multi piece balancer sprockets that should be replaced by 20K miles. Kawi upgraded those in 96 but any late model sprockets will work. I can send you all the OEM part numbers if you need them. Hope that helps!
  3. KamikazeKLR

KamikazeKLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question about lowering my '02...

Here's the deal: I'm 5'2 and have an obvious disadvantage riding my bike because it is naturally so tall. The bike came with lowering links but I'm not sure which ones (I think there's different lengths of lowering links...)

Last summer I lowered my aftermarkt rear suspension (what a tedious job) and lowered the front forks WAY too much and ended up messing the geometry of the bike so much that I crashed going 140 kmh on the hwy. SO. Keeping in mind that I won't be going that fast again, how do I A) bring the bike back to the exact stock height so that I can B) lower the front and the back at the same time to maintain the geometry so it doesn't become unstable at higher speeds.

Here is the link to the pics of my crash (if you guys are curious) just scroll down a bit.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19262644#post19262644
  4. misterjack

misterjack Universal

Oddometer:
    If you could please send me those OEM numbers that would be great. Thanks
  5. SkiBumBrian

SkiBumBrian DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer:
    No need for OEM #s. Google Eagle manufacturing and engineering, talk to Mike he will fix you up, then put his # on speed dial....
  6. marc11

marc11 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amen brother.

Odd grammar, words and spelling brought to you by my iPhone's autocorrect.
  7. redog1

redog1 KTM 950se old fart

Oddometer:
    I'm planning the OBDR this year in July. Looking forward to it. :D
  8. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Do the Gen II KLR seats fit the Gen I KLR?
    And vice versa?
  9. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Balancer Sprocket upgrade:

12046-1165 - Sprocket upper/rear
    92022-1880 - Washer (goes inside the upper/rear sprocket)
    13164-1007 - Front/Lower sprocket
    48052000 - Replacement C-clips (need 2ea)

I've upgraded probably a doz KLR's now. On one the washer was too thick. I contact EagleMike as he is the KLR guru and he responded he's seen it a couple times in the past. With a couple measurements he immediately machined a new washer for me.
  10. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's a pack mule. What's not to like?
    [​IMG]
  11. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
  12. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup!
    Regards....justjeff
  13. Deacon66

Deacon66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. ThomasVolomitz

ThomasVolomitz New Old Stock

Oddometer:

Just to let you know, I have a new take off seat from a 2013 available. Bought a Sargent, now the most comfortable motorcycle I have ever owned. 540 miles yesterday, no problem.

If anybody is interested in the seat, pm me.
  15. stuser

stuser Putt putt putt

Oddometer:
  16. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I need some guidance on jetting my bike.

I bought my 2001 KLR and it had a SuperTrapp IDS2 muffler installed, and the airbox had 4 or 5 1" holes drilled in it (in the "L" mod location) and removed snorkel. There were no discs in the muffler, but they came with the bike, so I put 6 of them in to quiet it down. Bike ran fine after adding the discs, but was a little sooty and rich.

Fast forward 10 months, and the muffler is falling apart. I already had to take it apart and weld nuts to the back of the rear plate after blowing the discs off once, and now, those have broken loose. Took the muffler off to see about fixing it, and there is a giant hole in the bottom of the muffler near the inlet.

I got a stock muffler a while back, slapped it on tonight, and detweeted it. Seems to idle just fine, but after warming it up tonight, I jumped on and after 2 blocks or so, it was starting to run rough. Died a block later. Turned around and went home. Running way rich.

The stock muffler sounds MUCH better than SuperCrapp does, and I wouldn't mind getting better mileage either. I don't yet know what the jetting is that's in the bike, but I do know it's not stock. I haven't been in the card yet, but I suspect that the 22cent mod and drilled slide have been done also. The second owner back is a friend of a friend, and he's quite adapt at tuning carbs from what I hear.

So, given the modified airbox and, what would be a good starting point for jetting it back down to run decently?

Was thinking that I'd pick up a 140 and 142 main jet tomorrow and give it a go. Realistic? I'm also thinking since it's idling okay and taking off okay that the pilot jet is probably fine as is.

Any guidance??? Sorry for the very long post and thanks for any help!
  17. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do NOT use a 140 or 142 with a stock needle. KLX, DJ or JD needle and your fine but not with OEM. Open up your carb and let us know whats in there. THEN we can give you pointers. I've tuned doz of KLR with an O2 and A/F meter. Base setting I like is stock pilot, fuel screw adjusted for best RPM's or 2-2 1/4 turns out, KLX needle 2nd clip, either a 140 or 142 main jet and slide drilled to 7/64ths.
  18. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    Whoops, that was a typo on my part. I meant a 150 jet, or 152. Stock is 148, right?

I'll get it pulled apart and see what mods are done, and what jets are in it, and post back tomorrow. Thanks!
  19. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    No need to up the main jet even with an aftermarket pipe that promises you 15hp with arm wrenching torque increases and super duper free flow design. I've got two 705's in the shop now and both dialed in with 142 main jets. One sporting a full FMF exhaust and the other a LV slipon :evil
  20. sandalscout

Oddometer:
    That's good!

I got the jets pulled and the carb scoped out. Stock needle. No spacers under the needle. The slide does not appear to be drilled. The fuel mixture plug has been removed already, and presumably rolled out some.

The jets are WAY big.

Main - 155
    Pilot - 50

I'm thinking that I'll go back to close to stock, 148 and a 40.