Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    What I did, first take apart the throttle and remove the cables then put it back together and see if the grip moves freely, 2. follow the cables and look for any kinks, sharp bends etc., 3. rotate the throttle plate by hand if you can get your hand in there if not improvise, turn the plate by hand to where it hangs up stop and check the cables to see if one is tight, if they are both slacked then it's nothing between the grip and the TB. 4. check the return spring, make sure it didn't break or jump off, dont take off the plate because getting the spring back on is a real treat (ask me how I know) if none of that is the issue then the TPS is the only other thing other than something being broken inside the TB.
  2. MotoPundit

MotoPundit MacGyver

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's me.

3. dogjaw

dogjaw plays well alone

Oddometer:
    very helpful, and much appreciated... will tear into it tomorrow
  4. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Been spending quality time getting my WR ready for some winter riding here in the PNW. Had some great days last year buzzing around the coast range on days that weren't TOO cold. This year I may even try some local night rides, so lights were in order as well as a few other little mods I thought I'd share.

HDB top plate came in handy again
    [​IMG]

Velcro'd controller
    [​IMG]

Who needs reflectors
    [​IMG]

Low power
    [​IMG]

High - Notice the heat shield on the heat shield.
    [​IMG]

My Giant Loop kept rubbing through the paint on the stock sheild. Not ideal, but it's a start.
    [​IMG]

Made the spacers from the leftover doughnut when using a 3/4" hole saw.
    [​IMG]

Damn these things are ugly, but they sure help in the heavy rain. Just picked them up last week, and they flopped all over the place.
    [​IMG]

Had some license plate bolts and some strechy fabric I had laying around in order to make a little support. I can easily take them off on dry days, cause, again, they're fraking ugly.
    [​IMG]

Hot grips complete the projects. Bring on the winter.
    [​IMG]
  5. DefyInertia

DefyInertia Where's my truck?!?

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys getting your fuel pumps and what is a fair price these days?
  6. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Service Honda, around $213
  7. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought one. $232 + $20 shipping!
  8. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, sorry. I didn't check this morning when I replied, I just looked back to June when that price was last posted. I sure hope the haven't gone up 10%.
  9. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My buddy picked up the 08'. Hoping to do a trip with him in the next few weeks. :clap
  10. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    What are you, twelve?

Well, first, you're presuming I haven't done my research. The fact that I'm on this thread, and contribute to it, should disprove that theory. But be that as it may, yeah; I'm telling you that in the real world, doing is always better than scheming; knowing is always better then believing. I'll take my combined 33,000 + miles of learning two of these bikes, and learning what works and what doesn't work over your 33,000+ Google searches for "schweet WR250R awesomeness".

Part A, bike not for sale

Part B, I don't sell to utter toolbags, or at the very least I charge a significant d-bag premium

Part C, not drinking any "koolaid"; I could actually care less about the K&N, but it came on the bike when I bought it and I'm too busy enjoying my WR to waste time and money changing it out. I will add that the filter worked just fine on a recent 1150 mile, 4 day off road trip I took to the UP, which is a pretty sandy place - you know, sandy like what's in your vagina.

Last thought, I deal with enough utter morons at work, so my tolerance for ADV idiots is very thin. Ergo, you be now blocked.

Focker... out!
  11. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Scott: Broken 60CSx mount??

[​IMG]
  12. Scott_PDX

Scott_PDX Leisure Engineer

Oddometer:
    Portland...the newer one on the left side.
    Nah - That's the RAM mount version. Kinda looks broken, but details are just being lost in my shop clutter. The RAM version works great BTW. Easy to switch to different bikes also.
  13. StG

StG Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to figure out luggage/xtra gas options, and was wondering if any of the rear/side racks out there provide any real 'crash' protection for the bike. I'm a new rider & have already dropped the bike a couple times on the dirt, so I was thinking they may be worth the extra money for that alone - yes, no, depends? How about those rotopax canisters - a bad idea for someone learning to ride or durable enough for alot of drops? TIA!
  14. Pork Butt

Pork Butt Save the USA

Oddometer:
    anyone running a Graves full system, AIS removed, and a PC V have a map they wish to share ??? :ear

the pickings are slim on the PC site

PB
  15. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    I have a Powerbomb header and FMF controller if anyone is interested.
    One person in line for the FMF...
  16. DaymienRules

DaymienRules Traffic target

Oddometer:
    Rotopax hanging of the side is plenty durable. I've easily dropped mine 10 times on it. And laid it down on gravel at speed. Light scratching only, no damage. I have zero concerns regarding the durability. If you want luggage, buy the racks. I wouldn't recommend buying racks just for protection, considering the racks all cost more than any part they would realistically protect.
  17. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Oh, I see it now. You are correct, it blends into the background. I have the same exact mount. Glad to know it did not break off. :D
  18. MeefZah

MeefZah -------------

Oddometer:
    Just in case: RAM has spectacular customer service, no questions asked lifetime warranty. In the event that you ever manage to break one, they don't even require you to return the broken component - just email them a photo and an item number, and they will mail you a new part.
  19. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Cool, good to know. I wish Garmin had the same service. My 60 Cx has been down for over a year...seems it does not fair well when crashing into a tree on single track. On the good side, the mount never broke. :D
  20. Old_Crow

Old_Crow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. I went with the tractor tool tube and 30oz msr bottle for extra gas, and a better front tire (pirelli scorpion pro FIM) as crash protection for the bike :rofl My luggage solution is improvised as well: a waterproof rafting bag strapped to the back -or- a zip tied moose tail bag & back pack.

I know the safari tanks are expensive but they can stand up to all sorts of abuse. It safe to assume the rotopax fuel tanks are made of the same type of plastic. For a recent off road ride I used a double layer of gorilla tape on my frame to protect it from scrapes and it did a great job, and much cheaper than the carbon fiber frame guards! Forget about protecting the plastics it's not gonna happen. A radiator guard, skid plate, and hand guards are all the protection you really need.