Wolf Side Racks + Kriega US-30 = ?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by TwoShots, Jan 17, 2012.

1. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Wolfman's side racks with their expedition dry saddlebags is an appealing setup, BUT I'd like a little more space without going to a bag on the seat or hard panniers.

Soooooo... I'm thinking Wolf rack + Kriega 30's...

This rack

[​IMG]

with a couple of these attached...

[​IMG]

Anyone done it?
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I find my Wolfman kind of small too for some trips so I've been thinking of modding a Seal LIne 35 liter dry bag to attach to the racks.

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/packs-and-duffles/boundary-pack/product

I had a Kreiga 10 that I bought with the tank bag adapter but didn't really like it for that application as it had a roll top and that's too much trouble on a tank bag. I thought that one of the two fabrics they use would hold a lot of dirt and not clean easily like the Wolfman or Seal Line vinyl.

Modding the Kreiga might be easier so I'm interested to hear others ideas as well.
  3. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Interested in this too...but are a couple Kriega 30's bigger than the Wolfman saddle bags ? Hard to figure out...
  4. heirhead

heirhead Worlds Worst Mechanic

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Sounds like you have Wolfman now, if you get another brand would you like to sell them?

Heirhead
  5. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Wolfman's Expedition saddlebags are 19L each. So yeah we'd be gaining 11L each side with a couple Kriega 30s. I just didn't want to be the guinea pig dropping $$$ to learn weather or not the bags will work OK with the rack.

Maybe someone has been there-done that already...?
  6. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    Kreiga says their 30l bag is 17.5 x 11.5 x 9 approx

Woflman is 13 x 13 x 7

Enduristan says they are adjustable from 15l to 30l but so far can'r find actual dimensions

OK found it: •Measurements: 13" long, 8" wide and 12-16" tall

Ortlieb are 12.2 x 16.9 x 7.1 for 24 liters plus they have the QL2 attachment system that will probably mount right to the Wolfman racks

http://www.ortliebusa.com/CartGenie/prod-58.htm
  7. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    That's what I saw too so that's why I was a little confused - they appear to have similar dimensions but how can the Wolfman only be 19 and the Kriega 30 :dunno
  8. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    I multiplied it out in mm ( 445(H) x 295(W) x 225(D) mm) and it came to 29.5 l ... :huh something funny going on
  9. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    17 is 31% bigger than 13. 9 is 30% bigger than 7. Thats how the Kreiga is bigger.
    Wolfman is 1183 cubic inches (19.4L)
    Kreiga is 1811 cubic inches (29.7L)
  10. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it doesn't take much of a difference in dimensions to really ramp up the volume. Looks like the Kriega already has the surface mounted strap buckles so flipping it to the vertical and strapping it up to the Wolfman rack shouldn't be too difficult. Realize that a fellow inmate, BBriggs, manufacturers the Wolfman racks. He could likely customize the size of the hoop on the racks or location of the strap mounts to better fit the 30L Kriega. Someone try this out as these are two of my favorite products. :evil
  11. bymbie

bymbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the Sea to Summit Big River line. They have lash loops on the side so attaching them could be pretty easy... They are cheap. Material is 420 D Nylon... I am not familiar with these materials, so I have no clue about durability (Seal Line is 19 oz. scrim-reinforced vinyl side with heavy duty 30 oz. scrim-reinforced vinyl bottom)...

[​IMG]
  12. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Hey I may have it here....

The Wolf rack + Ortlieb Low Profile Dry Bags.

[​IMG]

With some modification to the straps, of course.
    2100 cu inches. Not bad.
  13. bymbie

bymbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2100 cubic inches (34.4 liter) total for the Ortlieb is smaller than the Expedition...
  14. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Yeah I ran those QL2 Ortlieb's on a DRZ for a couple years. Extremely easy off/on a rack, but they NEVER came close to coming off on their own. Nice.

Now you've got me thinking about the Wolf rack + Ortlieb Back Roller Plus.

[​IMG]

Yeah. In only a few posts, I'm beginning to trade off size for ease-of-use.
    I do dig the Wolf rack, though.
  15. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    That's the rub .... if you want volume you have to start getting creative:(:
  16. TwoShots

TwoShots Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Well Dan I could always try the Wolf rack + Ortlieb Recumbent Panniers for max space.

[​IMG]

Decision made: I'll call Ortlieb tomorrow, tell the of my quandary, tell them I'm buying a Wolf rack and explain how they really should send me the different QL2 pannier sets to test on the rack, and how positive results will be posted to ADVRider.

If that doesn't work, I'll call Kreiga.

:1drink
  17. BlackBeast

BlackBeast Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted. Interested in your findings.
  18. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I'm not mistaken, the Ortlieb M22's are motorcycle specific, and a bit bigger yet. I need some luggage, too. Please post back and tell us what you learn.

Sarah
  19. Dan Alexander

Oddometer:
    It looks to me like the motorcycle specific ones have two bottom mounting clips that would fit the wolfman rack better and be more solid than one single clip in the centre like the bicycle ones do ...imho.
  20. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the US-30L bag myself. I already have the largest Rollie bag Wolfman makes but I need bigger. The US-20L has more volume then the largest Wolfman Rollie but the opening at the end of the bag is almost the same size so it limits how big an item you can put in it.

I have some of those Sea To Summit bags and they are very good. The thing that I really like about the Kriega is the interlocking feature which makes stacking and mounting various bags together a breeze! I don't think anyone else has this part beat.........if you need this feature.

That being said, you can't go wrong with any of these top brands....they're all quality kit!