iPhone Motorcycle App Thread

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by NachoRoto, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Snowfreak

Snowfreak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I buzz around here enough to probably make it worth my time :rofl Since I don't always have 3G or wifi available, I was thinking that alone would make it worth it.
  2. beachdancer

beachdancer Beachdancer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone had any success using iPhone Voice Memo or Dragon Dictation apps, over bluetooth with the Nolan N-Com helmet system?
  3. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    +1. I use it on several forums. There are a few moto web sites that said they were going to be developing their own iPhone/Android app, but tapatalk has been accelerating in terms of features and reach. I can't see that it makes sense for a small group of web sites to develop an app, especially when the cost to the site owner is nil.
  4. NachoRoto

NachoRoto Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer:
    I just tried using the Scala Rider 2. It did not work.
  5. mesaliving

mesaliving Making it happen

Oddometer:
    +1 on Evernote - also check out dropbox :D
  6. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    I know most of the discussion is revolving around apps but something I find very useful is bookmarking dept of transportation sites (depending on what state your in or traveling through). You can bookmark and add to your screen and place all in a folder - I have Colorado DOT in my weather folder for instance. You could also, once inside a DOT site find highway webcams or specific roads (interstate, HWY etc..) and bookmark those. This is a quick and easy way to get what you need before rolling through, say the mountain passes.

Great Thread!! :thumb
  7. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    Along those lines, I use an app call trafficamNZ. And load the cam along my routes.
  8. mesaliving

Oddometer:
    I'll have to check that one out!!
  9. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

It's not the simplest to set up. It's far from idiot proof. But once you have what you want it works well. I used this to ride from pa to sc about a Month ago. I set it for a camera every 100 miles to avoid the snow. It helped a lot as you can see below passing thru wv.
    [​IMG]
  10. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    Ok
    I wrote a note to apple today. A suggestion for motorcyclist. I want the lock orientation button to lock in either orientation. Not just portrait. This would be good when using gps software in landscape. I find on a bike it skips back and forth more when the phone is in landscape mode and becomes almost useless. So I have my phone locked in portrait. This is not a huge request since the iPad already does this. It might already be part of the next OS. But it never hurts to ask.

[​IMG]
    A reminder on how to lock the orientation. Double click the button as if to switch programs. Then slide the lower icons to the right revealing the iPod controls and the orientation lock button. The best thing I learned fromnthis thread.
  11. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bit of a late reply. I'm not cheap, but I like to seek value for my money. The Accuweather app does the same thing and it's free. I too used a similar feed and other satellite imagery for defining pest infestations in crops, down to the 1/2 acre scale. Drastically cut the use of pesticides (good for the planet) and cost (good for the farmer). That application was unique (at the time), so people were willing to pay for it.

I'm all for rewarding the developer's time and effort. Especially since I've personally developed applications for which I was mostly paid handsomely.

However, I'm all about the free market. If you don't produce something that compelling enough, and keep ahead of the competition, people will go elsewhere. Sucks sometimes, especially after investing $80,000 for a digital signature application back in 1995 and $50,0000 on a mobile banking application back in 2000 (prototyped on a Psion Series 5). But, I wouldn't have it any other way.
  12. SCFoster

SCFoster It is what it is Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the heads up on the Trackr program. Now $3.99 is worth it for this app.

I have the SPOT messenger which is nice for emergencies (satellite based rather than cellular), but the Trackr will work great on the iPhone. One less thing to have on the handlebars.

[​IMG]
  13. NachoRoto

Oddometer:
    Verizon today announced the iPhone is coming to verizon on feb 4th to current subscribers and feb 10th to new customers. So if you are unhappy with AT&T. Or your droid. Your wait is over. I think our little app thread is about to get pretty busy.
  14. dpifko

dpifko Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer:
    aMEN!
  15. MrMac

MrMac Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Avenza has released a new app that will read GeoPDF files:

http://www.avenza.com/pdf-maps

You can download the older USGS topos directly from the app via the Avenza web site and save them on your Iphone. It will use the GPS to locate, with a few added functions to boot.

Other GeoPDF maps can be accessed if you have a direct link to the files. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to download the newer USTOPO maps from the USGS (store.usgs.gov) since it appears that the Iphone does not have file-sharing capability. (yes, I'm new to the Iphone so I may be missing something here..) Anyhow, a good start and another option for mapping and navigation. Hopefully more features will follow..

Oh yea, it is free.
  16. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:

I'll look at it since they developped a Beta version for my 'Berry.

Yeah, I'm this kind of anticonformist. ;)
  17. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    wow....that makes seeing ADV on the Ipod about 1,000,000 times better, Thanks.
  18. Snowfreak

Snowfreak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I forgot to update this, i downloaded it and it works very well for ADV on the iPhone so I would recommend it to anyone who isn't always in a 3G/wifi area
  19. Snowfreak

Snowfreak Long timer

Oddometer:
    Checking to see if the pic uploading from the app works

[​IMG]
  20. Snowfreak

Snowfreak Long timer

Oddometer:
    One less step for tagging I see.......how does the saying go......this changes everything......