Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, I had to quote it - for posterity - just so it can't be deleted. For reasons that should be obvious.
  2. subcomm

subcomm adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap
  3. GeezerStank

GeezerStank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's a couple regulars on this list that stated they had bodies dumped down the street from where they live, and have had bullets zipping around their relatives houses. And the story that bikers aren't targeted is starting to fade away as more people report being targeted, those bullets that hit the bikes of that last group could have just as well hit and killed someone, then it would be totally over..... It's only a matter of time before it happens.

I've been to Mexico, I love it there and never met a bad person, I love the food and culture, I spent about $18000usd setting up a hack rig to ride down there with no time limits, but for me, risk assessment, I have it on hold for now.

The only other places on the planet that have the type of violence that is going on in Mexico is Syria, Iraq and Afghanistan. Somalia could be on that list as well. It's a damn shame but that is what the number of dead, the atrocities, pictures and videos prove out. Saying that does not and is not meant to disrespect your country or the "good" people of your country, it's just what is happening there for real. For a guy to ride down there that doesn't know the place or be fluent in the language, it is kinda daunting.

As far as you being incensed about perceived insults of country, the way you guys shit on the U.S. and now France, I'll just take what you say with a grain of salt..................

As far as the U.S. Media, I'm with you there, they are a joke, there hasn't been any competent news media here in a long time, if there ever was? We get fed a lot of propaganda here!!
  4. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    At the risk of feeding the troll:

No, I don't ride to the northern states, but that's because I personally don't need to. There's plenty to see between here and Cuautla. I'll leave the comments about the border towns and the routes south to others who have more experience.

Yes, those GSers were shot at, and it looks like the lady had a good excuse for trying to get away. However, the guy who was actually robbed lost a little money and was allowed to go on his merry way. That's typically the worst that will happen.

Wave bunches of $50's around in a bad neighborhood and you'll get what you deserve.

Whatever you say you still cannot point to a single incident of Narcos killing or kidnapping tourists. From what my native friends tell me, they don't want the hassle. Prove that it happens or shut up and stop scare mongering.

By the way, I'm going to Taxco tomorrow. If I get kidnapped, beheaded or filled with 7.62, I'll be sure to stop back here and tell everyone you were right.
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Craneguy,
    Your comment about not riding the Northern states is interesting. For those of us that live north of the Rio Grande ( that's most of us), the only way to get to the middle or the southern states is to ride the northern states; otherwise we wouldn't get there at all, unless we fly.
  6. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Planning to spend the first week of July riding through Tamaulipas to (hopefully) Veracruz then west to (maybe) Villa Bernal then back home.

Will update here on security issues, tacos ricos, Indio beer, and all things México.
  7. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm jealous. I like Veracruz and I can't get Indio in Mississippi.
  8. charliemike

charliemike wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heading down around the same time....same route but stopping in Cd. Victoria for a few days b4 Veracruz.
  9. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    I live about 600 miles south of the border. I have no reason to head up there, as I have a lot to see down here! :D

Eventually I will, without doubt. When I do I will pick my routes and areas carefully, and probably find someone to ride with who knows the region better than I do.

As we keep saying, it's also about mitigating risk. The northern border states are riskier to ride in than down here, so until I have seen all there to see in the South, I probably won't go there.

If you want to get to the safest parts of Mexico, you have to find a way south. If you feel it's too risky, you shouldn't do it. That is your risk management process.

I was going to buy a bike in the US last year and ride down. If you check my first ever post you'll see I went looking for advice and a group to ride with. In the end I went to Canada on a contract, and then discovered I couldn't return to the USA (visa issues) so I had to buy here instead.

Anyway, don't pay any attention to me when it comes to the north. Follow the advice of the guys that live there (and certainly not people living in Europe)
  10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't say I have a problem with the risk (I don't). I was just making the point that the majority here can't avoid the north if we are going to ride in Mexico.
  11. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz

Oddometer:
    Chango/Hombre have been given a permanent vacation, though I suspect he'll try again with a new fake n00b.

We apologize for the delayed action but the Trip Planning mods are by and large retired from modding and don't get around here much anymore.

I will clean up the rest of his posts and move them to Head Explody later tonight after I get home and can access a real computer.

Salud!

JD
  12. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back to :ricky.
  13. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
  14. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JD !!!!

Now this thread will be tranquilo
  15. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

:thumb
  16. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    My cup overfloweth :rayof
  17. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Let's keep in touch by PM. Maybe see you down there.
  18. Pedro Navaja

Pedro Navaja Long timer

Oddometer:
    In planning stages now for another ride, probably early November or mid-January. I haven't been south in over a year. Not sure yet what type of excursion or activity I will engage in yet. I have been thinking about a tienta school for a few years and may do that, as there are several ranches that specialize in this. I'm also checking on the guitar festival schedules. If I wait until Mardi Gras 2013 there a some very good festivals in Autlan de la Granja and in Jalostitlan.
  19. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. chiwo

chiwo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where do you live JD, so I can ship you a box of Indio and a bottle of a fine Tequila

Thanks man!!

:freaky:freaky:clap:clap