The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. NLS

NLS My bike needs washing...

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Pretty much matches what I (and most people) thought.
    It's always good when an expert agrees with you (or ahem... you agree with an expert :D).

Didn't expect Triumph to be that bad off-road in this incarnation.

So the Kind and Queen of expensive-mega-duals(-that-we-actually-don't-need*) remain the same.

(* as any DR rider would say)
  2. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks nice and shiney.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    :huh Hope you're joking. The "offroad" course ridden was laughable, the MCN rider's technique was pathetic and your average 8 year old could give a more thoughtful critique.
  4. NLS

Oddometer:
    First of all I didn't see an offroad course. Just some kidding around. I don't think this is the test he did on the bikes. He must have done some tests that they did not show. The video was like a summary thing. Do you have any more video about this test?

That said, do you disagree with his opinion?

Or the point of the post was that this expert did not actually test anything?
    Or you question his expertise? (esp. maybe compared to yours)

Finally, if that was the actual test (fooling around in some light dirt for 5 minutes each bike), the indication that expert got, you think is wrong? In other words if the bikes give out a specific "feeling" when ridden on that course, you believe it would change on a longer harder one? Could for example the Triumph be a hidden gem? (very well hidden, very deep only for Indiana Jones to dig out) Or BMW crap? Or something like that?

Sorry just trying to understand what you mean.
  5. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I meant just what I said. If you want to see an offroad test done correctly by people who can actually push these bikes hard offroad, watch this. Very much looking forward to Cycle World's offroad comparison of the new GS, KTM and S10.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yohu0wuRTNE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  6. NLS

Oddometer:
    So a way better test is running a dust covered flat?
    (ain't that what like 98% of the video shows?)
    Wow I can do that test easily.

Anyway, I still don't understand what you mean with your first post.
    You discredit something? The expert? The test?

If you discredit the expert, you do that, as a bigger expert? Can you enlighten us (in that case) what makes you a bigger expert than him AND give us your opinion? (because in that case, we certainly all want to hear it)

If you discredit the test, not the expert (which test, we actually don't see AFAIK, just some photo opportunities), then the question changes. Do you disagree with the results? Based on what? I mean ok a test is classified by you as bad (based on some unknown analysis on some data we don't actually have - except if you have them), but do you have a better one? And if a test is bad, you believe it gave us wrong results too? You disagree that if a light test shows a trend, this is indeed a trend that will most probably agree with a harder test?

I think my questions are valid.
  7. NLS

Oddometer:
    I would certainly like a comparative test of the two-three-(four?-five?) supposed big duals in this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QbzdD9JJ6eg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GSurk3yIMDg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. twinrider

Oddometer:
    As I first stated, the MCN video was a joke both in the riding shown and the critique. If you can't tell the difference in the quality of the two reviews, nothing I say further is going to help. :dunno

And yes, a comparo test that included terrain like you've posted would be both informative and entertaining.
  9. CaptMorganism

CaptMorganism Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same story at my dealer, sans roll bag of course :-(
    My bars are on order but I not sure which bags to get. The Varios are not exciting me a great deal.
  10. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my cases last week.
    Still waiting for my tankbag (BMW) and my protection bars and aux lights from Touratech.
  11. kindofblue

kindofblue Ride it like you stole it

Oddometer:
    I've been pleasantly surprised to see that all of the small bolts holding things on the bike that I've taken off for farkling have been T25s. Yeah.:D

12. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes and for Tupperware removal they are all the exact same length except the four that hold the black trim pieces just forward of the rider's seat. Fit and finish is much better than the previous model.
  13. cjack

cjack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had the varios and changed to Zega Pro (without the cutout) bags fro Touratech. Looks good on the GSes. I wondered about the cutout ones, but they are extra money and these can be put on either side. That is, we could buy the biggest one, 45 liter, and put the 38 on the left and leave the 31 in the garage, etc.
  14. dutch440cid

dutch440cid Degrees Minutes

Oddometer:
    Just find a dealer and ride a demo. All BMW Motorrad Dealers are supposed to have one. I've ridden the new demo 7 or 8 times in the last 2 weeks and my impression is: This bike has lots of nice ergo and usable features and Cruise is nice. The single biggest deal to me is the throttle response combined with the clutch operation. It is still heavy but the ride by wire makes it much more usable by a person of limited skill and advance age, like myself. The down side is that I have discovered all kinds of things about the air cooled platform that I (now) don't like. I haven't noticed any weird stability issues either, and I have been beating on it. :eek1
  15. NLS

Oddometer:
    ?
  16. atg

atg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am anxioius as a child the night before christmas...

Tomorrow I am picking up my new GS LC. It is a fully loaded Premium package ( whire wheels, LED, all lectronics, etc ) I was number 2 on the waiting list in Brazil, having ordered it the day after the 2012 Intermot launch.

It has been a long 6 months wait but, I am certain, it will be worthwhile.

Will report my impressions as soon as I gain some experience on this bike, my fourth GS.

I would like to thank all that have posted informations, pictures and experiences regarding this GS on this forum. If, on one hand it made dreaming with the new bike great fun it also made me ever more anxious to get it.

Thanks to all,

Andre
  17. Japanviking

Japanviking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your new bike day! I bet you wont get much sleep tonight :-)
  18. oz97tj

oz97tj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for Dutch, but I noticed this myself. When I had the GSA loaner, it didn't feel quite as stable as my GSW. Even when I demoed the GSW prior to m purchase, I thought the same thing when riding my '07 GS home, but I attributed that to the shocks being worn.
  19. Cycling101

Cycling101 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like what specifically?
  20. IB1

IB1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did notice some hints in that direction when I had it loaded up a few days ago.
    I just compare it to aircrafts. The more stable it is, the less nimble it is at low speeds.
    In my opinion it is still very stable, but it is easy flickable. (but keep in mind I come from a sport touring bike).