Factory Recall: Spot Locator Gen2

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by nsfw, Dec 15, 2009.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps TAT/Prudhoe Bay

Oddometer:
  2. anodyne

anodyne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been w/out mine for over a month. Called customer service and they will give no idea as to when it will be returned. They simply said I should have bought a Gen 1. Lovely. I'll likely try a return through REI when I get the freaking thing back. Given the customer service I have received from SPOT, I'm sure I'll be out all the $$ spent on contract. I would avoid this company if I could do things over again.
  3. tedder

tedder irregular

Oddometer:
    Because it's been gone for a month and they will extend your service, that means they are a horrible company?

Huh.
  4. anodyne

anodyne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Horrible might fit, but that would be your word choice, not mine. I would not make the purchase if I could do things over. Simple as that. Their first tier customer service blows. Extend my service? Extending my service does not make up for the fact that I was unable to use it on a recent trip (the reason why I purchased it). My Gen II SPOT has been gone OVER a month w/out any communication from the company, or a time frame as to when it will be returned. Huh.

Update 2/5:
    It doesn't appear that Spot II units are being repaired yet. I was told that engineering is still looking into the issue. No time frame was given except what is stated on the web site, early 2010. As mentioned, first tier customer service is rather useless, but I did receive a call back from a manager in Ontario. He indicated that he would be sending me a first generation Spot to use until mine is repaired. That much is good. Status updates from the company outside of notification of price increases would be great, but this particular manager is at least trying.

I'll probably still get rid of the Spot II when repaired/received as I'm suspicious of the quality control ... did anyone else with a Spot II notice that the notches for the springs which keep the batteries in place look like they were carved by a 3rd grader with a butter knife?
  5. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    I just called them myself before finding this thread. "Early 2010" is the party line. I realize things happen, but this vague response is annoying at best. My Gen 1 is still going and I have been happy with the service. I bought this one for my wife's bike.....

Just annoying at best.

-Terry
  6. anodyne

anodyne Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I would post again to mention that I did indeed receive a gen 1 Spot as a temporary replacement. The person that is assisting me provided a promo code that I will be able to use until my gen 2 Spot is back. Not the best outcome, but at least a sign that some individuals are trying and deserve credit for that.

Hey, and at least they eventually sent out a (somewhat vague) status update on February 5th:

---------------------------------------

Dear valued SPOT customer,
    Spot LLC appreciates your cooperation in the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger (SPOT 2) Product Return Program. We know you are eager to receive your SPOT 2 replacement unit and Spot LLC is dedicated in providing you with the highest quality product as soon as possible.

We are happy to inform you that the testing for replacement SPOT 2 units is nearing completion. We anticipate having more good news with specific timing soon. In efforts to keep you informed on the status of your claim and the SPOT 2 product availability, we will provide you with email updates on a weekly basis. You can also review regular updates at www.findmespot.com/exchange.

The Product Replacement Program has been expanded. Please check the ESN number on your SPOT 2 unit (located in the battery compartment) or in your SPOT account. If you have a SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or below 0-8053925 and have not submitted your SPOT 2 replacement claim, please visit www.findmespot.com/exchange and complete the simple Product Replacement form. All claims must be submitted by March 31 to be eligible for a replacement unit. If you have already submitted your claim, thank you.

Have questions?

Please call toll-free 1 (866) 727-7733 or Email: SPOTexchange@findmespot.com

Thank you for being a SPOT customer. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

The SPOT Team
  7. Texastater

Texastater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Best buy is selling for $99.99 with an instant $50 gift card and Spot is giving a $50 rebate.
    The Best Buy units also have a coupon included in the box for 1 year of free tracking.[/quote]

So if I understand this....the unit is free and you get 1 year of free tracking right???

If so, you dang sure cant beat that.....
  8. jonsom

jonsom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BB's here in MSP do not have any coupons. But they have the Gen 1's in stock for $99.
  9. Spinalcracker

Spinalcracker former redriderofma

Oddometer:
    Spot has a promo for people involved in Boy Scouts, Cubs etc.

I got my spot for free with a 2 year subscription. Total for the unit and 2 years was $149.00
  10. Adventure Trio

Adventure Trio Wandering

Oddometer:
    I received this email yesterday.

Dear valued SPOT customer,

Great News! SPOT Satellite GPS Messengers are starting to ship. Shipments to customers will begin on Thursday, February 18th, 2010. We expect to have all customer returned product out our doors by the first week of March.

As you know, in December we discovered that the SPOT 2 unit failed to meet battery and messaging operating specifications. At that time we issued a “voluntary” product recall. Okay, in this instance “voluntary” meant that SPOT was choosing to recall the product because we weren’t happy with it. We understand that this may have caused some confusion. Let’s be clear now - we continue to urge you to return your SPOT 2 unit with an ESN number equal to or less than 0-8053925 to be returned for replacement. Please visit www.findmespot.com/exchange for more info.

As we mentioned in our last e-mail communication to you, we put
    SPOT 2 under rigorous product testing. We know you have been waiting, and are impatient to use your SPOT. We hear you! We want to assure you though that SPOT LLC has taken the necessary extra steps to ensure this product meets all our rigorous tests. We pulled the product and retested. This meant environmental and user tests. We were thorough – we need to be.

The SPOT product has initiated over 550 rescues worldwide and has sent millions of “peace of mind” messages. There is no way we are going to let you hike into the woods, drive into the mountains, sail off into the ocean, or just enjoy your weekend getaways with a product we are not satisfied with. SPOT is an emergency messaging device. We take that seriously. We take our commitment to our customers seriously. Therefore, we apologize for the wait, but we can now tell you the product is ready for your hands.

Sincerely,

SPOT TEAM