What do you pack for a day trip?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by Rusty Jug, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Rusty Jug

Rusty Jug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'm sure this has been discussed many times, :norton but I want to here people's opinion on packing the old saddle bags for a day trip.

The scenario for the day trip: :evil

65 degrees in the morning with a high 88 degrees, with a 30% chance of rain.

65% gravel road,10% off road with 25% pavement

Show a pic of your bike that your riding if you can, my bags are small so it limits me.:eek1

[​IMG]
  2. kanur

kanur cu new er

Oddometer:
    For just a day trip.........rain gear (and I may skip that if there is no chance but more times than not I have it), tire repair kit, and clothes for what I expect to encounter, and maps for the area I plan to ride.

Oh! and a cell phone for when I've made a bad call :rofl
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    Moved to Trip Planning
  4. thechickencow

thechickencow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It depends on the ride. Commuting or within 50mi of home when wifey is around, I don't bring anything. I figure she can come get me and I'll come grab the trailer.

Here's one from this weekend, I packed - spare tubes, bike pump, a few tools, tire irons. You can see in the pic the bag underneath, that's attached with some straps, then the cargo net carries anything loose I don't want to carry.

[​IMG]
  5. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    a day trip should be similar to a multi-day trip minus a shelter/sleeping bag/pad.

tools. tubes. water. fuel. food/snacks. proper gear.
  6. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    My bike always has the basic tools and spares on it, whether I'm going 1 mile or thousands - they live with the bike.

Some people use motos as recreation, and make use of the ability to call a saviour in event of problems.
    Some look at the moto as transportation that can have problems at times, and ones that they need to solve themselves.

A rec toy or transport?
    We all have different takes on this.
  7. Rusty Jug

Oddometer:
    Yes, I agree about different takes on packing and how much room.

List:
    1. Basic tools /owners manual
    2. chain lube
    3. Can of fix it flat/ plug/air pressure gauge
    4. Shirt/sweat pants/slip on swim shoes (yes in case my riding gear is so dirty and they won't let me in for grub! Lol
    5. Bottle water
    6. Granola bar

Need to carry fuel,but never been far enough away from a fuel place. Yes I know get my adventure more out there!
  8. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer:
    Spray to clean the faceshield with and a soft cloth

If you wear glasses, individually packaged glass cleaning wipes

eye lubricant for dust or crap in the eyes, Refresh Plus ampules are great

Tool kit, including tire repair items, should always be on the bike

Extra ear plugs

Cell phone

Camera

Water but not if there are stores along the ride

If out for the entire day with no restaurant lunch stop, granola bar, trail mix, crackers, tuna pouches, apple sort of stuff
  9. Rusty Jug

Oddometer:
    I never thought about eye lube ! It's small an very helpful!

That goes in the bag today!
  10. birds

birds Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tools, tubes, first aid. Snacks and water. This was early spring so I had layers in the backpack. Just a waterproof backpack strapped to the rack.

[​IMG]
  11. manfromthestix

manfromthestix Lost in Space Supporter

Oddometer:
    As stated above, cell phone (with powerlet charger) etc. plus my expanded tool kit which lives with the bike and includes tire irons, patch kit, plugs, small electric pump, tire pressure guage, a backpackers first aid kit (it's small and includes a splint :evil), Leatherman tool, and small backpacker's folding camp saw. Along with the first aid kit I have matches and a couple of those tiny space blankets for help staying dry and warm if necessary (when folded two of them are smaller than a pack of playing cards). Of course I always have the stock tool kit that came with the bike; you could do everything from a tune-up to engine rebuild with that kit, but it's lame for tire service :huh. In addition, I have a spare key taped to an out-of-the-way spot just in case I lose the one in the ignition, and I ALWAYS carry a spare (active :D) credit card hidden away someplace on the bike just in case my wallet follows the ignition key. I've got a photocopy of my driver's license and the registration etc. for ID if I need it, but you can't buy a tank of gas with a copy of your driver's license.

All that stuff lives in one side of the hard luggage and the other is for additional layers of clothing, WATER, some emergency food, etc. If I'm riding rougher stuff I'll take the hard cases off and use a big tail bag lashed to the topcase mounting rack.

[​IMG]

I lived in Wyoming for many years and learned that you had better be prepared to save yourself because a lot of places I rode were devoid of other people, no gas stations, no cell service, high altitude, etc. It is amazing how small a pack you can put together that could save your life if you just bother to carry it. I sold my dirt bikes when I moved from Wyoming (Gawd I miss those things :cry) and used to carry the above in a good snug-fitting backpack when I rode off-road. I rode alone a lot and got into some pretty nasty back country; even if I had cell service, there was no way my wife or friends could come get me very easily:

[​IMG]

Better prepared than sorry, I say!

Doug
  12. dfwscotty

dfwscotty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lot of that stuff I carry in the tank bag all the time. Check the forecast, tank of gas, bottle of water, tire repair kit, target location for lunch.

Rain in the forecast I add the raingear. Insanely hot afternoons I will add a soft sided cooler in one of the boxes or the camelbak.
  13. what car??

what car?? down the road

Oddometer:
    I am a minimalist at heart. I leave the baggage at home. The jacket contains my wallet, sometimes the phone (not always, though) camera, extra tube for the front (sometimes), the main back pocket is the water bladder with (3) tire irons, and small bicycle pump, map(s) if needed (don't really care for gps), compass, and snacks..... Bike has tool kit under the seat along with patch kit for tubes. If I feel I need anything else, I throw it in the glovebox. I check the bike before I leave and do a ride the night before to lube the chain.... For me, I cannot see needing anything else... I may stop and eat at a restaurant along the way (but not typically), but if not not a problem as I know I won't die from starvation within 12-24 hours (hence the snacks in the jacket). Sorry for not having photos the only photos I really have are loaded up for extended trip...