Drz400 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Britmick, May 4, 2007.

1. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    i like my DRZ over buddies' DR350s by a good bit (better suspension, more power--not that the DRZ is exactly a monster, better ergos, etc.), but i wouldn't call either one of them a good dirt bike. both are way too heavy.

since you have another bike for ADV riding and are looking for something for just dirt, i would recommend looking for something that weighs more like 250lbs (or less) that has a plate. there are many KTMs out there (both new and used if you don't want to spend the rather absurd amount it takes to get a new one) that will fit the bill. a few huskies as well.

my DRZ might as well be a GS compared to my KTM (plated 450 xc-w) in the dirt. dirt riding is way more fun on the KTM.

just my take on it.
  2. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i worked for a large ktm shop for a year:cry

i'm still waiting for ktm to make something impressive :D
    i think ktm bike are made to sell parts :rofl

i have had a dr350 good bikes but the drz400 has a button and better suspension:D
  3. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    my KTM has been quite reliable, though i have not racked up the miles on it that i have on my DRZ. (DRZs are bullet proof tanks, no doubt about that.)

my KTM is a better performing bike in pretty much every way than my DRZ, too...even on the street.

ymmv.
  4. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    ktms are not bad bikes

but they are not as bullet proof as drz

for most folks the drz is better bike in every way do to the lack of maintenance
    and its change the oil and ride it nature.

i would rather race a drz than deal with the work the ktm needs.

if i had a plan to buy a 2 smoke off road bike i would buy a gasgas or a husky
    long before a ktm
  5. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    that's only one way. :evil

my KTM is pretty much change the oil and ride it, too. just have to change the oil a little more often. (and you are supposed to check the valves more often. of course, checking the valves on my KTM is actually *easier* than on my DRZ. i got my KTM with a little over 100 hours on it. it now has 250 hours on it. valves haven't needed adjusting yet. still on the original top end, too.)

ummm, ok. i've raced both. i could not disagree with you more. but, to each his own.

there is a reason, though, that most hare scrambles are seas of orange...and it's not just because of people drinking kool-aid.
  6. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    That's when I build the set up for my trail tech Striker (not long time ago). It's a road-book, GPS and trail tech combination rack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WinCE 6.0 + Flash 4GB 7 INCH HD Car GPS Navigation 128RAM FM Mp3 Mp4 Free MAPs

[​IMG]

5" Car GPS Navigation Built-in 4GB 64MB RAM WinCE 6.0 FM Mp3 MP4 New Map POI

or this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-inch-HD-8...1049606591?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item1c2f1e69bf
    They're cheap and effective ...
  7. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i will that about ktm they do have options, just not for me
    the early 2000s exc 400 was good bike. parts are to pricey now

as you say to each his own , i agree with that

i dont care much for the current line of rm bikes either
  8. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
  10. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i looked at the rmx450z but did not like the 40-50 hours between top ends
    same reason i did not by a ktm, to much work not enough riding :D
  11. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    That sums it up ... :1drink...
  12. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    My buddy Dave dropped by today and gave me a free, barely used Pirelli MT43 (4.00-18) trail tire:clap...I can't wait to go try it. He said he run it with 8 psi :huh and have great traction especially on rocks (well that's what i ride:wink:).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll give you guys feed back bout that tire in say 2 weeks (my next ride). I like to know some opinions as well if someone has use it before I am sure they're plenty of riders here who favor that weapon :D .
  14. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
  15. Xylx

Xylx Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same setup on my DRZ. You can download topos for free at gps depot. I have the whole state of Idaho. It's not as slick as Garmin's maps, but does the job.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php
  16. Zukweld

Zukweld Fabricator d'jour

Oddometer:
    Hello Inmates, I think after lurking enough I finally caught the disease:D

This is my new to me 2001. Fortunately it came with a nice set of farkles. A Clarke tank, aftermarket carb, moose racing skid plate and rad guards, TT case savers, tail light, and bars. It has 10,000 miles and was ridden on dirt roads most of its life.

For my next tricks it will be getting a Leo Vince pipe, Acerbis hand guards, and new white plastics. We all know yellow is fastest, but I want a sleeper:lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. DR. Rock

DR. Rock Part of the problem

Oddometer:
    We used them on our last Mobius trip, and I liked them a lot. We rode about 2300 miles, and they had maybe another 1000 miles in them. Unfortunately, the timing just isn't right for us -- we can get two trips out of a MT-21 or D606, and I'd prefer not to have to deal with a tire swap mid-trip, so we're back to MT-21 rears. They were outstanding on anything but mud / wet grass. We even rode some sugar sand, and it wasn't as bad as you'd expect. We ran high-teens psi (bikes loaded with camping gear), with rim locks and dynabeads -- one flat from a big-ass nail, and another from a seriously old tube at the stem. NOT the tire's fault. If I had the luxury of changing tires whenever I wanted, the MT-43 would be my rear tire of choice. -- btw, for the record it's a Pirelli, not a Dunlop.
  18. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, I noticed my typo mistake [​IMG] , fixed.
  19. MrBob

MrBob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is there a separate thread for the KLX 400 or are they lumped in here? Yes, I know they're considered the same bike. And the ADV search function works as well as usual.

[​IMG]
  20. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    Yup It's here u can squeeze in this thread. Some call it the green DRZ .