Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This could go for any bike, but I have a T800, so I'll post here.

I bought my bike used from a private party in a city 100 miles away. I have a Triumph dealer in my own city. I've (and the service manager) determined that my bike falls in the range for the gear return spring replacement TSB. I've talked to the service department, but the "warranty guy" is never there when I roll by. I typically do all my own work, but this is warranty work. In their small defense, the service manager has given me the days the warranty guy works there and when to call to talk to him.

I guess I could do a little more footwork for getting this done by tracking down the warranty guy on the days he is there, but I feel I shouldn't have to. Is this typical of buying a bike at one place and having the work done somewhere else - or is it just my local dealer? If it's the former, that's not very comforting if I run into a warranty issue out on the road.

Are there better channels for this? Or should I keep hounding them?

On a similar note, do I have to "register" my bike with the local dealer with regards to recalls and TSBs? Or is that something that corporate handles? Thanks!
  2. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Their 'warranty guy' will take care of approving your bike for age and mileage, and will submit a warranty claim to the manufacturer.

I would either call or email the guy and leave a message to get back to you at his convenience so it can get taken care of. Frankly, I doubt he (nor anyone at the dealer) cares where the bike came from.

Dealers as a general rule don't have the resources to provide really top-notch service. The ones that do are rare and should be admired and appreciated.
  3. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
  4. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    A "normal" situation would be where you call the service dept, tell them you think you VIN falls under the TSB, they check that/confirm/order the kit, and then you schedule an appt. when the kit comes in. Shouldn't take 10 phone calls to make this happen. You are getting jerked around. My dealer is not exceptional but even they handled my return spring TSB professionally.

You can call Triumph customer service and give them your VIN and they will check for any outstanding TSB's. They removed this facility from their website so now they can reap the joy of handling everyone calling. You also need/should register your name/bike with them.
  5. TekurRides

TekurRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my 2012 Orange tiger with center stand and heated grips installed for $12500, all fees and taxes included.
  6. chasmahtaz

chasmahtaz n00b

Oddometer:
    Mind if I ask ... The orange t800? Is that a roadie or an XC?
  7. some call me...tim

some call me...tim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe the orange is an XC-only flavor. The roadie got the venom yellow for its unique color. For 2013, the orange is replaced by the drab green. And somewhere in these threads, a guy has a blue one, which the only one I've seen, but it sure it purty.
  8. Rabbot

Rabbot Life goals-Die with memories not dreams.

Oddometer:
    I bought a dealer demo bike that was wrecked, then rebuilt. It came with a salvage tittle. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. I have no regrets. The amount of money I saved and knowing how I intended to ride it, It was absolutely the the right way for me to buy one. Sounds like a good deal to me. Good luck
  9. legends117

legends117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I bought and adapter to connect a Deltran Battery Tender to the power outlet on my Roadie; but when I plugged it in, the tender flashed red light. This indicates the battery is not charging.

Does anyone know if I can charge the battery through the power outlet, or if I need to connect directly to the battery terminals?

Thanks much - Peace - JD
  10. Xcountry-Rider

Xcountry-Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    Pine Valley, California (San Diego County)
    Chris,

Can you sort of turn this into a how to on a new thread? You really got my attention on this. Where to get the foam and the material for the seat? Do you have a simple pattern we could follow? I want to do this and want my project to look as good as yours!!
  11. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    Bought my demo tiger in January. It had 1100 miles on it. I've put another 10k miles on it with zero issues. I called PJ's Triumph in NM (not where I was buying it from but one of the best dealers around from what I have read and my brief conversations with them) to get their thoughts on my price and their experience with demos. They've sold plenty of demos and no more issues with the demos than with unused bike. I saved a fair amount of money and still got the 2 year warranty. After I bought it I called Triumph to learn about its history. They could only tell me it was one the motorcycles in their own fleet. I wouldn't be put off by the demo status.
  12. kingofZroad

kingofZroad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought a leftover 2012 800 xc with ABS for $10,800....

A 2013 would have been $12,050....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. elan

elan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you can charge through the power outlet by the ignition switch. I will say I had to swap the polarity on my battery tender's cables because it was backwards compared to the powerlet cable that came with the bike. I'm wondering if this is the issue you're having.You can check quick and easily with a multi-meter.
  14. TekurRides

TekurRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was an XC. It was at a dealer 400 miles from home. But it was well worth it I think. What better way to break in the bike. :D

15. ducnut

ducnut Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's good to know. :thumb
  16. Ronin1

Ronin1 Hoonigan

Oddometer:
    I charge mine thru the column outlet, works fine.

Jim

17. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    I bought a demo 800XC last year with 1400 miles. Seven thousand miles later and no worries. Save some cash and put that toward farkles.
  18. legends117

legends117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took your advice and checked the polarity of the plug (from the charger) and the outlet on the bike. I put the positive probe in the center and the negative probe on the edge, and both checked out OK.

Hummmm SO - anyone have any other ideas why the battery wouldn't be charging?
  19. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    I guess if it were me I'd try to a. make sure with the key turned off that the socket was still live and b. try to charge another battery with the charger
  20. legends117

legends117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks - did both. I popped the seat and connected the charger to the battery terminals and is charging fine. So, I am still scratching my head, but guess there is something not connecting between the power outlet and cigarette adapter charger.

I'll have to check those connections, but thanks for the heads up on the polarity reversal.