KTM 530 EXCR- More better!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by neduro, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy NorthWest Adventure Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My clutch cover was getting pretty worn looking after 132hrs of use so I decided a powdercoat job was in order to freshen it up a bit. I headed over to StuckinMud's house and we had it powdercoated minitex black in no time. I added the orange paint into the recessed areas to finish it off. Came out looking pretty sweet. :clap

Hmmmm....That water pump cover might look good in black also :evil

Hodakaguy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    enduro16 likes this.
  2. B-Rod

B-Rod RubberNecker

Oddometer:
    How is the anodizing not fried right off the KTM/ FMF pipe? I think WOT ice racing killed this one. It does have the smallest dB 'sert with the sparky, so I think the heat builds up in there. Anyone else have a bugger of a time getting the seat all the way on with the Clockworks tank?

[​IMG]
  3. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I would suspect lean jetting? Mine has held up great with no signs of degradation. Yeah the seat is a tight fit with the Clockworks tank, I slide the seat up under the catch on the tank and then use my elbow to pop the seat onto the rear catch....works pretty good that way.

Hodakaguy
  4. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks great! I was wondering what to do once it got nasty lookin'...

I hook the front then use two hands firmly gripping the back of the seat and give it a quick shove forward...snap! its in.....
    [​IMG]
    Ok...gratuitous bike shot...
  5. Bora20

Bora20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put in 3 washers to raised the front spacer up for the seat mount. Then I put the seat on, shove it all the way forward, and SMACK the rear of the seat and it pops onto the mounting washer and the seat bolt goes right in.

Before that I was swearing at it and concerned it was a piece of crap...

Oh yah, and I rejetted last night the 3rd clip from the top on the JD blue needle to match the cut out insert in the stock muffler.
  6. Chowdown

Chowdown Texas Aussie

Oddometer:
    man that looks great!

7. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    I've got the Clockworks tanks...first one leaked at the petcock badly. I had another sent to me, arrived with in a few days, and unfortunately this one also leaked and the petcock mounting holes were in the wrong spot.

But Clockwork offered to send me another or refund me. According to KTMTalk they made improvements to their process and the current ones are much better fit.

FWIW, a crafty moto bud of mine made the tank work and I have not had a problem. But if I had a problem, I am sure they would give me a new one.
  8. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    Here's mine...:D

and why is your head pipe so shiny, Hodakaguy?

Mine is all orangy rust coloured...:huh

Attached Files:

• 038.jpg
      038.jpg
      File size:
      199.6 KB
      Views:
  9. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I was thinking my header pipe was starting to look grungy :lol3. I ride mostly desert so the bike doesn't see a ton of mud. I also wash it every time I get back from a ride that get's it muddy. Other than that :dunno

Hodakaguy
  10. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It sure looks nice. My bike looked like that for about half of the first ride. Mud is just brutal for cosmetics.

I can't believe you have 130 odd hours. It still looks new!

dc
  11. SOILMAN

SOILMAN DIRT-HOG

Oddometer:
    I have an '08 450 EXCR and bought a TM Designs rear chain guide supposedly speced for the bike. I do have a SuperSprox 52T sprocket. The guide won't fit. Too narrow and won't drop enough for the 52T and the front bolt area will not allow the upper chain guard piece to fit it. Do any of ya'll use a TM guide on your EXC's? I'll call TM when they open.
  12. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    I'm running the TM design guide on my 530 along with 14-52 gearing. I used a roto file bit with an air grinder to extended the groove that's machined into the guide for the sprocket to clear (you could do the same thing by hand with a good round file). The 52 tooth would hit the guide without a little extra clearance added. Another possibility is to add an extra link or two on the chain, the added length would push the rear wheel back a bit and give you some more clearance on your guide.

I also added a washer as a shim to get the chain centered in the guide when installed. Other than that it's a solid unit that should hold up well to abuse on the trail.

Here's a shot of the TM guide next to the worn out stock unit. The red arrow is where I added the washer to center the chain in the guide.

[​IMG]

And a side shot...I also have a Bullet Proof Designs brace to keep the tabs on the swing arm in one piece.

[​IMG]

The BPD brace has taken quite a few hits on the trail

[​IMG]

Hodakaguy
  13. Deseret Rider

Deseret Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a Dunlop 606 on the front of my '08 530 EXC-R. Using a Parnell balancer device I see it is going to take an abnormal amount of weight to achieve balance. Is this usual? Do any of you run the front without the rim lock (which is where the heavy side is)and is this a good idea? I've wound near three feet of solder wire on 4 spokes on the opposite side of the rim lock but am still not close.
    Tips or suggestions would be appreciated!
  14. SOILMAN

SOILMAN DIRT-HOG

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hodaka!! I'll get to work on it this evening and order the Bulletpro brace now
  15. Hodakaguy

Oddometer:
    Yep pretty common for the D606. I love the tire though. I balance both front and rear tires and have installed the Motion Pro light weight rim locks. Even with the light rim locks I still have about 4 - 4.5oz of weight on each tire to get a good balance. On the rear tire I ended up finding the heavy spot on the tire then dissmounting and re-mounting it to get the heavy spot where the weight would be needed to reduce the amount of wheel weights I need. As far as weights go I ended up using re-usable weights with set screws on the spoke nipples...available in the vendors forum or on ebay here: CLICK HERE
    I may try a Maxxis or ? but I really do like the D606's for ADV riding.

Hope that helps

Hodakaguy
  16. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    jiminwc an Adv'r sells these weights which work for me...post in Vendors

[​IMG]

He has an Ebay store as well.............
  17. Didn'tDoit

Didn'tDoit Adventurer

Oddometer:

Nice setup! Is that handlebar custom made?
  18. Didn'tDoit

Didn'tDoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been following this threat for a while...Its time to introduce my girl.

Attached Files:

19. Didn'tDoit

Didn'tDoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And this is me asking for directions...(we were a bit lost)

Attached Files:

20. Didn'tDoit

Didn'tDoit Adventurer

Oddometer:
    one more, reaching a top of a dune.

Attached Files: