The XT600 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by CR_TurboGuy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. nathan_yamaha

nathan_yamaha n00b

Oddometer:
    Does anyone here know where I could get: side and rear luggage racks, engine guard, acerbis desert tank?

Would racks and a guard like the ones on this tenere fit my regular 1989 XT600?
    Also, any hand guard recommendations? I was thinking it might be cool to get ones with the blinker light integrated.[​IMG]
  2. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Jens I looked a little deeper, If you notice on the 89 XT600 the choke plunger is solid at the end, The 1990 that you posted up has a little nipple or extension on it, What's the difference? why would one have it and the other not? funny thing is I bought the 2KF-14371-01-00 which has the small nipple as well and was orignally on the TTR250. Last night I installed it and it worked, as far as raising the idle etc. Should that one be ok to use guys?

Now my new issue is the plastic choke knob is right where my fuel petcock is and the fuel line goes right there, Is there an alt fuel petcock that would angle the fuel petcock a different way but still bolt up too the 89XT600 stock tank? Thanks everyone!!
  3. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just do some creative routing of the fuelline, or cut the chokeknob smaller.

As for the different chokes and have they work compared to each other, I really dont know, but would expect them to work just the same.
  4. Noel73

Noel73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello everone its time for a new set of pads on my xt and was wondering if anyone is running sintered pads? Or will that wear my rotor out early? Because parts-n-more has the sintered pads for my 89 for 2 bucks a pair and I figured I could stock up on a few sets for that price.
  5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    2 bucks? Damn, thats worth a shot.

I have run sinthered before, and expereinced no problems.
  6. Andreja

Andreja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello XT riders!
    This is mine 2kf, 1989. Stock, it has a crappy top case rack welded on frame :rofl I'm going to remove it and paint that part of frame in it's original color. I'm not riding it currently, my front sprocket is bald so I ordered a new chain and sprockets. I've bought used front brake disc and new front and back brake pads. My fork seals need to be replaced, also the fork oil. In a month, HERE I GO AGAIN :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. G600

G600 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice XT. I also liked your video of the java/mz group ride. Gotta love the old two stroke street bikes.
  8. Andreja

Andreja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you friend :freaky
  9. gingertom

gingertom Tom Holding

Oddometer:
    Anybody know where i can buy the black plastic vent thing on the tank of the XT600E 2003 ? £106! at the Yamaha dealership !
  10. tractor4play

tractor4play Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i have a complete 1989 tenere 600 that im breaking for parts.it has a rear rack,produro silencer and big bore headers etc.
    i live in ireland. are you in england?
  11. YamaHead

YamaHead Die-Hard 2-Wheeler

Oddometer:
    My '88 2kf SuMo ......
    [​IMG]
  12. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet looken bike, I got the same but 89. What all have you done to her? what kind of tires?
  13. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are just that expensive. I've seen a dude or 2 make som himself, other than that, pay up, or leave it alone. I'd leave it alone.
  14. nopantsflyer

nopantsflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you need this part: http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-2KF-1410A-00-00.html, this is the part number:
    2KF-1410A-00-00 PLUNGER, STARTER,

will fit perfectly, michael
  15. nopantsflyer

nopantsflyer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ups, did not see that somebody else answers the question, they work perfectly, put one in a 1986 xt600, no difference!
  16. Buddaman

Buddaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike got one finally, Works great. Now my only issue is since the XT had the cable choke originally my fuel petcock where the gas line attaches is right where the choke plunger knob is, Sometimes if i'm not careful and push the choke back in it pulls/pushes against my gas line causing a small gas leak. I've managed to work around it but wish there was an ALT fuel petcock I could use, I'm been looken at the old XT500 where the fuel line attaches underneath and not on the side like mine now. ANY ideas guys?!?!?!
  17. A-Wind

A-Wind Andreas RD07a

Oddometer:
    A nice Accerbis Desert Tank?
  18. kimett

kimett n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi
    New owner to an old 1990 2NF.
    Found a Öhlins rear shock for 95-00? year model. Will it be a possible fit for my older one?
  19. Andreja

Andreja Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could anybody tell me how to inspect brakes? I bought used front brake rotor and new front/rear brake pads. There is no leaking, I cannot tell if the pistons are working well, the rear one has much more stroke than front. I don't know to inspect the "rubber" parts. Hoses are in good condition but I think I'll buy a new armored hose and change brake oil.

Sorry for my crappy English, I hope you can understand me :)
  20. Olas

Olas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Usually it's just the fluid and air that's in it that makes the brakes not work as they should. You can begin by flushing the old brake fluid and putting fresh fluid in, and make sure it's bled properly. If that doesn't take care of it then you might need to take the caliper off, take it apart and inspect it.