Riders helping Riders around the world

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by An-tonio, Apr 7, 2014.

1. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

I would like to share with you an idea that finally I made reality. :rofl

I'm a rider that love travel on motorbike, off-road and on-road, and after a lot of years traveling I tought that it would be very useful a system to permit contact rapidly riders traveling when they are in trouble or need something with other riders that are not traveling and they are at home. I thought in a solidarity system, "riders helping riders around the world".

I created http://www.spot-riders.com with this in mind. Basically you can send a spot and an email will be send to all riders 50 miles around you. For this to work it's necesary that there is registered users on www.spot-riders.com near your spot (50miles). This is why I share this project with you, it need riders!

I want it to be a free project now and forever, without third party publicity (aka adsense, etc) and without any paid service for riders nor any unethical way to get money.

My English is not so good (as you can read) but I do my best effort. I've done the website in English, I think it's the most universal language for travelers but sure I made a lot of mistakes so any help in this aspect is welcome.

I hope you love the idea and your feedback is important to improve spot-riders.com. :deal You can read more in spot-riders.com website. I have a lot ideas to implement to improve it...

http://www.spot-riders.com

:ear Await your opinions, Thanks!
  2. DADODIRT

DADODIRT Gettin' older Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I just need to purchase a SPOT. We used one on a recent trip to Baja and it was nice being able to send our location to family at the end of each day.
  3. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's not necessary a spot devide to work with spot-riders.com, it's web based and can be used with any modern smartphone. Obviously it's need a network to work, but I'm planing to make it work with spot devices (findmespot.com) using the email notification feature used by this device.
  4. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a nice idea, I like it.

But ... There are some problems with your website. Maybe the problem is on my side of the computer but when I click on Spot or Riders I get a blank page. I use Firefox with AdBlock and NoScript, maybe that's the problem.
    You said there are no ads so it's probably not AdBlock and I don't see any blocked script on the page either.

I will try later with my tablet and see if it works with Android.

Again, I like the idea.
  5. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi BGil,

thank for your report, I found the problem. It's only when you access to "Spot" and "Rides" menu links. To protect privacy of members on spot-riders.com, the access to this links is only permitted to registered users. The "redirected" page inviting guest users to register was broken, as I usually check the web as registered user, I didn't saw this problem.

I use adblock and ghostery for the same purpose. Only blocked elements are by ghostery and they are the social buttons for sharing on social networks.

The website is made with a "responsive" html template. It shold work ok with any device.

Thanks and tell me if problem persist :)
  6. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    I've been running AssistanceList.com for over a year now.

Good luck with your site.
  7. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Bungie4, your site look great, I didn't know about it and it's the same idea with small different implementation. It have some good ideas like findmespot connect that I plan to do in future, when I have time...

The only problem with our ideas is that it need a lot of riders around the world...

I hope both projects can get lot of riders, It will be good for all us. I register on your website :)
  8. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have implemented a new option in profile. Now you can indicate the type of assistance you can provide. It will be displayed in riders map so it will be more easy for rider to plan a trip.

http://www.spot-riders.com/indicate-type-assistance-can-provide/

There is anoter two new options in profile:

"FindMeSpot Device Name" and "Emergency Phone"

The first is to indicate and link with your findmespot.com device (if you have one). When you press "help" buttom and if an email (from spot-riders.com) is in the list for help notifications it will create a new spot in spot-riders.com and send an email to all users 50kms near with your location without need of internet. If you defined an Emergency Phone it will be attached to created spot so other riders can contact you.

I will enter in details soon, it's almost finished!
  9. GroceryRun

GroceryRun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I saw the problem, you refer to my signature... I didn't update the link correctly and it link to another personal project in spanish.

Thank for tell me, it's corrected now :)
  11. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good idea Antonio... I signed up.........
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    I have a smart phone, but I'm not very smart about how it works.

Do we have to have GPS tracking turned on for your system to know where we are? I don't know if I have turned it off, but I have clicked "no" when the map program asks if it can use my location.
  14. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi High Country Herb,

it's not necessary, if you have it turned on it will know automatically your position (unless you say no).

You can always set your spot on map manually without need of gps tracking, it use google(tm) maps so it's easy to search your location.

Did you can see well on your smartphone ? I would like to know impressions about how is displayed on different smartphones and if you can easily use it.
  15. An-tonio

An-tonio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

after some time, I have done a great improvement to spot-riders.com website (moto-spot.com before) I want to share with you.

Now It's possible so share your home, garden, tools or anything you want with other riders. It's a system like other websites for travelers (think on couchsurfing) but for riders and our needs.

You can searh a rider on map, contact them and request to stay on their home or help to you to repair your motorbike. All is possible, it depend of us :)

There is a short video about the website and tools:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/21JY6PC_Ne8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I hope you love it and register!, it's free :)