Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. PYG RYDR

PYG RYDR Adventure-Dual Sport

Oddometer:
    Since you are working hard for an explanation as to why it did not start yesterday and then it did start today, is it possible yesterday you twisted the throttle a few times before trying to start it initially??? :wink:
  2. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well unfortunately those were the exact symptoms of my pump before it failed. It would be hard to start and once running would run fine until the next time I shut it off. Then it would be hard to start again. Eventually mine would not even prime. My advice, do not ride it until you replace the fuel pump. Now you know what the problem is.
  3. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would like to know your build date, also. It'll be on the side of the headstock.

According to the recall, only models built up to 12/08 were affected, but I think this is the 2nd '09 with a bad pump that I've read about. First one was built 03/09.
  4. dontlr

dontlr Banned

Oddometer:
    Twisting the throttle on a non running bike does what?? :ear :evil
  5. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely nothing on a FI bike :deal
  6. PYG RYDR

Oddometer:
    Coming in late on this, was there an official recall for models built up to 12/08?

I am the 2nd owner of my 08 and my R might be within this build date, but have 0 starting problems yet with 2800 miles...
  7. PYG RYDR

Oddometer:
    Momentary brain lapse....:huh
  8. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The actual recall was only in Japan. Nothing official in the US, but Yamaha US has replaced everybody's who's asked so far under warranty.
  9. PYG RYDR

Oddometer:
    Do you know if Yamaha US has replaced pumps before 12/08 build date which had not malfunctioned yet? :ear
  10. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I know of, but any that have had problems they have replaced.
  11. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never even checked before, but it says 10/08 on mine, so it looks like mine might have been one of the first 2009's built in October of 2008?

I just went out and tried to start the bike again and it fired right up.

Waddya think... should I just get it to the dealer and tell them I want the fuel pump replaced under warranty? I really wanna ride this thing, but don't wanna get stranded with it.
  12. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would.

Tell them what happened and you know for a fact that numerous people have had this exact same issue and you want it replaced. If your dealer gives you a hassle, I've heard contacting Yamaha US customer relations directly will get it taken care of.
  13. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dealer!
  14. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, sounds like it might be the fuel pump. I'm gonna print some of this stuff off and go to the dealer this afternoon to see if I can get it scheduled. Hopefully they don't have problems getting a fuel pump...weren't those backordered or something for awhile?
  15. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine was backordered for a couple weeks, but I did finally get it. Been running like a champ ever since :thumb
  16. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm dropping the bike off at the dealer today. A bit worried how this will go though LOL... the service guy said they will check the fuel pump to see if it's the problem. Now, I'm not sure how they are going to "check it", but I hope it's not a case of it starting fine for them, so they say there isn't a problem. If so, I may have to call Yamaha and see if they can just do the replacement considering my bike was built 10/2008 and I've had a starting problem. I told the service guy that, even had some printouts from forums showing fuel pump failures, and he said they need to duplicate the problem first, or test it to determine it's faulty.

I just wanna ride the damn thing LOL... and we are running out of good weather here!
  17. dontlr

dontlr Banned

Oddometer:
    Send over here since its just now getting to prime riding season close to home in the valley :evil
  18. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  19. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    Bill,

Thanks for the input.

I ordered the ProFill strainer from Australia. I was unable to find anyone stocking or selling them here in the US. They shipped right away and I received the strainer in less than a week. Good job ProFill! :clap

Their website says they are moving and revamping their operations so they will be closed until November 20th if memory serves. Seems like a long time to revamp to me, too. They mention "going on holiday" so maybe that's it... "goin' walkabout...". Or maybe going out of business is the real deal?? Hope not.

BigFeet
  20. BigFeet

BigFeet Banned

Oddometer:
    I ordered my new pump right after that same batch came in. Apparently Service Honda ordered some extras... unknown if any of those are still in stock or not.

Likewise, it's working great.

My OEM pump never failed, but it's a 2008 so it might have. Didn't want to get left walkin' out of some remote area. :eek1

-feet