Gracie's Hack... DR650 sidewalk chalk build

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by CAVEboy, Sep 20, 2011.

1. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the links. After a fair amount of reading this is what I settled with. I think this should do. I rigged up a rigid suspension and rode it around the neighborhood today. Interesting... I need to figure out what to use as a shock and then I can actually set it up and ride it with a little less sketch factor.

I read some interesting stuff about making the side car suspension height adjustable. Seems like it could be helpful for different weight loads. I like the idea but it will set back my timeline even further because I would need to order some more rod ends for the adjustable link. Thoughts? Lots of views but not a lot of weigh in. Thanks to those that have spoken up. I need the info.

[​IMG]
  2. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    what is the diameter of the tubing on your swing arm and would you post a pic of the axle setup?
  3. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All materials are 1 3/4" .120 tubing. The only piece that is different is the hub of the swing arm. It is schedule 80 pipe.. I think 1 1/2 but don't remember. The bearings of the swing arm are just some sealed bearings I picked up online with an ID of 3/4" and an OD of 1 1/2". The axle is simply a 3/4" bolt. I don't have any pictures of the bearings and such as I am at work today, but the journals were machined on a lathe for a pressed fit. It is a very simple and basic set up, but should do the trick.

Now for some info from you all on shocks.. please.
  4. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    can't help much there - I had a shock made for my Wasp (Works Performance) and they were very helpful.
  5. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    The problem that you may have to address here is that the lever forces from the sidecar wheel are turned into a torsional force being resisted almost totally by the clamping ability of those two bolted clamps. The diagonal threaded struts are barely providing any assistance by triangulation.
  6. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lemieuxmc

Thanks for the clarification. I figured this out pretty quickly when bolting everything together yesterday. With the clamps loose the whole frame easily shifted with the weight of the bike confirming what I had thought all along. I'm amazed that some of the frames I've seen on the board work the way they do. Maybe the difference between road duty and heavier use. My clamps didn't slip at all on the road with rigid suspension, but I don't think that will last with further testing. The broken mounts on the above photo seem logical. I have a few easy solutions for resisting the torsion in the clamps, but am going to do a few more test rides around the block with suspension first.

So... suspension ideas. I'm still reading so I should have something worked out soon. Any further frame critiques are welcome. Thanks for the help.
  7. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shock came from some 125 dirt bike... pretty stiff. It is working ok though. As was noted, the DR suspension will need some attention to make this thing better, but I rode it around yesterday and I think I can live with its manners around town and in the woods. This is pretty much it other than final touches and powder coat. I'll post up an update when everything is truly finished, but for now I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Webman and Muscongus like this.
  8. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    did you make the tub or find it somehwere? I'd like a smaller tub on my KLR/ Velorex rig.

I went with a shock from Northen Tool,
    http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_22932_22932

It works well so far. I do like the air shock you found, it fits too. I'll have to measure tonight and see if I can fit it in my fender.
  9. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    Can you show a picture from above how you tied into the clamp mount? I've having the same issue.
  10. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tub was put together with left over aluminum from a duck boat build I did a year or so ago. I am not an accomplished spool gun slinger but I can get by. The edges are a little rough and I don't really plan to clean it up at all. I'm just going to let it all oxidize for a weathered look. The beauty is that it won't rust and I can always clean it up later if needed.

I'm curious what one would have to pay for a sidecar similar to what I built? I'm trying to decide If I did well with the budget or spent more than I should have. Raw materials were my only real cost. Bearings, grade 8 hardware, and rod parts add up quickly though. Not to mention the aluminum for the tub (even though it was left over).
  11. Kyler

Kyler Geezer

Oddometer:
    I believe the frame and sub-frame alone can be bought from DMC for roughly $2K.
  12. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    CAVEboy,
    Your sidecar looks very good to me but is your dog happy?:D
  13. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KiloGraham likes this.
  14. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    If you look at the picture I attached to post #39, you can see the 1.25" square tube that is U-bolted to the Velorex round tubes in place of the clamp on mount. The u-bolts allow it to be moved fore and aft, and there is a short section welded at a 45" angle with a threaded rod and heim joint to allow height adjustment at the lower rear bike mount.

Attached Files:

15. D.Bachtel

D.Bachtel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nipomo ,,,, Where HWY 101 and HWY 166 collide!
    Great stuff CAVEboy, nice rig you built there.
    Superb workmanship and design.

Gracie looks happy, love the way she leans up against you tucking her head up close to the shroud.

Looking forward to more videos.

Don in Nipomo
  16. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just a point here raw materials do not jump up and do this kind of build on there own. Your time / workmanship are more valuable. This is a great build from scratch / sidewalk chalk. A complete sidecar setup with mouting hardware is expensive. Great job.
  17. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I really like the scaled down tub, it matches the bike size well. Great job.
  18. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Very cool build- the rig looks great and Gracie looks like she loves riding!

Doggles will protect her eyes from hits with bugs and gravel. A 45mph bumblebee in the eye can be expensive at the vet's.They'd be recommended to go along with a harness...

http://www.baxterboo.com/search.cfm/doggles-goggles?gclid=CPG6odP6jq8CFUGo4AodOwy8yw
  19. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll try to get an update posted soon. We have been riding it around town on and off through the winter. Gracie is sporting a nice new harness, but no doggles yet. We are pretty happy with it and I'm getting used to driving it a little more. It is pretty light in the corners without weight in the car but I wouldn't want it any heavier being attached to the DR.
  20. CAVEboy

CAVEboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few finished pictures. I bolted some eye bolts behind the seat and use a couple ropes with clips to the dogs harness. It seems to work well. She is tethered just tight enough to keep her in a sitting position. The windshield folds up under the "hood" of the tub when not needed. All the small parts are powder coated and the frame was simply painted. I have hardly taken it off the pavement yet, but so far we have been enjoying it quite a bit. It was a fun project and I think it looks pretty cool too. I feel like I really have to watch out for myself riding around town because of all the head turning and swerving. Fun stuff for sure. I don't know what it is worth, but I would entertain some offers if anyone is interested. We will be moving shortly and space is at a premium. I don't know though, it is pretty cool to just sell it off now. Maybe I'll make room...! Anyways, thanks for all the help from everyone here. It was a blast to build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    KiloGraham and Muscongus like this.