All things Sprinter (Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner)

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by mark883, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    The siliver interior looks very classy compared to my 'work worn' white.

My van has little tabs for the headache rack that cover the headliner gaps.

What did you do on the sloped sides? Put a straight bit of plywood there? I found thick non-corrugated cardboard conforms nicely, and is easily removable if you want to pull wires or something.
  2. 'Rett Butler

'Rett Butler Happily Married

Oddometer:
    This probably wasnt the best solution - or the cheapest. I'm supposed to do a whole writeup on Sprinter-Source but i'll let the pictures do the talkin' on ADV.

Started by making the 6" panels:
    [​IMG]

Then got these pine strips called "lattice" that come in 16' lengths that I cut (in-store) down to 11' - you only pay per foot for what you take - it was still too expensive and not very strong. What I ended up with looks like an capsized boat.

[​IMG]

I had to build these brackets in the back to give something for the lattice strips to attach to:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then the side carpet was glued only to the bottom 6" panel and stapled to the strip at the top so that I can tip the whole 6" panel up for wiring. The panels are held on with 5mm stainless socket bolts into rivnuts in the roof bows. Same with the headliner except they're 6mm.
    [​IMG]
  3. CAFFO

CAFFO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all, Anybody out there selling a reasonably priced sprinter. ideally 140"? medium length, medium height or high. 04, 05, up to 8k . high miles ok if maintained. turbo a/c cruise is in the wish list too. pm me please even if just a lead. i am located in ny
    best john
  4. misha

misha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one of the very first Sprinters brought into the US. In fact it had the goofy 15" wheels, very hard to get tires. I upgraded to 16". It's badged Freightliner, high roof, and 140" wheelbase. I'm not a high mileage guy, only 110K on it in 10 years.

Mostly I use it for my business: hauling lumber back to the shop from the sawmill, and delivering furniture and cabinets to clients. But I also built, pretty early on, a removable camper. Couch slides out into a double bed, running water, three-burner gas stove, small porta-potty, ceiling fan, satellite radio, swiveling passenger seat, side awning. Lots of storage. It takes us about two hours to set it up for a trip. We've taken it to the Smokies, to Labrador, to the Bruce Penninsula and to lots of music festivals. Always gets lots of attention.

Couch mode, folding dining table out:
    [​IMG]

Couch mode, dining table folded up:
    [​IMG]

Kitchen and cooler, Nancy and Zoey.
    [​IMG]
  5. Mr. J

Mr. J Banned

Oddometer:
    one of the more sensible layouts i've seen. i think when (usually companies) too much stuff gets jammed in, everything ceases to work efficiently. the 'less is more' dogma. and i imagine simple finishes in a small space are easier to live with, especially if you're stuck inside for a couple of days.
  6. mark883

Oddometer:
    Very euro classy with the cabinetry. Guess we can tell who the woodworkers / cabinetmakers are...

The rest of us just cover things up with Menard's low-grade exterior carpet. :D
  7. misha

misha Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, one of my big gripes with the high-end conversions of the Sprinter is that there is absolutely no storage space. By the time you put in a shower and toilet, there's really no room left for much else.
  8. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
  9. bikepikespeak.com

bikepikespeak.com Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that looks really nice! What are your plans for the gaps up front you mentioned? On the carpet up top did you glue it to a plywood then put it up or what did you do there?
  10. 'Rett Butler

'Rett Butler Happily Married

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I glued the carpet to the 5mm ply in the garage and folded it around - glued and stapled it. Then measured out the holes in the roof bows, put rivnuts in the existing holes, and then screwed it in.

I'm thinking for the holes in the front I'll make plywood filler panels and cover them with the same carpet. Aluminum brackets will hold them in place.

Carpeted wood panels will eventually also fill the back "window" recesses after they're filled with foam or denim insulation.
  11. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I'm looking for a measurement...

On a 144" WB, what's the straight-line distance between the rear door and the back of the 2nd row seat?

Thanks,
    Dave
  13. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Dave,

According to here: http://www.mbsprinterusa.com/sprinter/crew-van/specifications/2500-high-roof-144-wb/16

The "crew van" which has 1 row of seats in back it is 91.5 inches. The normal cargo van is 128.5 inches.

I thought there was a diagram showing the dimensions but can't seem to find it there now. I remember looking at a dimensions diagram when I bought my 170"wb sprinter. I went with the long wb because I wanted to be able to carry the bike and still have room for a full bed in front of it without removing the bike.
  14. mark883

Oddometer:
    For reference, I've got an '03 2500 144".

There is a 'shop-built' cargo wall installed right at the rear edge of the slider door.

From the wall back to the rear doors, is just about 7' 2"

My wall now has a 6"x40" high hole in it, so I can fit a '99 R1100GS straight in. I could fit it in by angling it, but it made for interesting loading. There is about 3" of beak & wheel sticking thru the wall.
  15. nomad5326

nomad5326 Xventurous

Oddometer:
  16. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
  17. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    I first met Elly in an Anchorage dealers lot; she was the last of her kind. She's a big girl and can hold her own... Kinda like a farm girl.

[​IMG]

She's a 2007 that was sitting alone on the lot in Jan 2010, still brand new.

They were asking $45k; I drove her off for $25k (out the door including TTT).

Before I left Alaska I installed an rv door and window on the passenger side. I have a couple of rv windows that will be installed on the left. I'm currently putting in a rv shower/terlet combo and the associated tanks, water system and electrical systems.

She will carry 1 CanAm Spyder, 1 1150 GSA with all bags mounted, an XT225, and a DRz 400 and there's still room to sleep. I drove from Anchorage to Tampa at 11500 pounds plus towing a 5500 pound boat/motor/trailer and still averaged over 13 mpg.

I'll post more pictures later if anyone is interested.
  18. straightrod

straightrod Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ That is damn good mileage with that load.
  19. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

Pretty common.........running a class C 3500 Sprinter RV at 12000 lbs towing a 6x12 enclosed trailer consistently avg 13.5 to 14 mpg:D
  20. trailsaw

trailsaw remember tomorrow

Oddometer:
    Bump for the Sprinter Van Interest. That's incredible towing
    capacity for a relatively small diesel motor!

Who markets them now Dodge or Mercedes?