BMW R1200RT Wethead!

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by JimVonBaden, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Max Wedge

Max Wedge ADVenture mowing

Oddometer:
    The base price on the 2013 was somewhere around $19.890, or thereabouts? So $20850 is "like" $1000 more. Get the Tour and Dynamic packages and you are looking at $22700, and the 90th edition 2013 is $21,940.

Add in the comfort package ($23950) and the GPS you prepped for ($995)
    and a topbox ($700)....you will be topping out at $25550 +tax.

Max BMW lists K1600GT's at $25580.

I know the math is sketchy and mixing CDN and US listings and my 'Kentucky windage' version of addition....but it looks like the GT and the RT are going to end up pretty close, so you must choose> power or weight?
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Your link said the base price is Starting At:$23,950.00, that is $4000 more than a 2013 base price.

http://www.bmwmcsem.com/2014-BMW-R-1200-RT-inventory.htm?ID=18548759&Brand=48&Type=1787&fm=1#/0

Jim :brow
  3. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's kind of an unfair comparison. 1) The K16GT doesn't come with a topbox or GPS as standard. That's near $2000 in price difference right there. 2) Don't mean to sound like a broken record but, Comparing a GT and an RT is not an apples to apples comparison. While there is a mega HP difference, there is also a significant weight differential leaving you with the choice of high HP/High Weight versus Less HP/Less Weight. It's a subjective comparison at best. In my opinion.

In the end, I'm expecting (Hoping really) that the new RT is going to come in fully loaded in the $23,500-$24,000 range excluding topbox and GPS. About a $1000-$1500 price bump from the current model. I find it odd that BMW has pricing available for the Canadian market but not the U.S. market. What's that all about?

4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    First year bikes, especially those destined for the CDN market, tend to be sold fully optioned. Also, some models are sold in Canada only with all factory options, such as the S1000RR. We're a much smaller market, so maximizing profits and reducing inventory variety helps keep BMW Canada in the black.
  5. Max Wedge

Oddometer:
    Wow. When I looked at it before it didn't include the words "starting at". I had heard that was fully loaded, but I could not confirm that.
  6. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    I think this exercise of trying to figure out the US pricing based on the Euro and CDN price has been done with each iteration of a BMW coming to the market.

While fun in exercise, it has been shown to be completely inaccurate. BMW NA does quite a bit of negotiating with corporate to get better pricing for the US market. Any price thrown up on a site is speculation at best.

I find it amusing that everyone is debating a "guestimate" price on the RT. The better exercise would be to compare the delta of the 2013 R1200GS (camhead) with the R1200GSW, then extrapolate base price.

My $0.02
  7. Max Wedge

Oddometer:
    True, it is baseless speculation, but we have to do something until it is announced.
  8. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pic from the show in NY. Very nice bike and appears to be slightly shorter than the previous one.

[​IMG]
  9. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can really see the red tint in that picture. Is that the only color on display at the NY show?
  10. Dieselpwr

Dieselpwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They said that was 1 of 3 currently in the country. Only one at show
  11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like it's got the new PR4's on it.
  12. bobobob

bobobob IN HOC SIGNO VINCES

Oddometer:
    Could be the effect of the white balance setting on the camera or the lighting in the hall. None of the colors on the BMW site show that red tint.
  13. Graham2400

Graham2400 n00b

Oddometer:
    I saw the "black" RT at The birmingham (UK) NEC show and although from most angles it looked black, dependant on where you stood and together with the relative location of the halogen stand lighting, you could see a "reddish" tone, my overall colour description of it would be "dark aubergine".

I made a mental note of it because historically BWM give you lacklustre colours on the launch of a new bike and save the better colours till later years, but this one was a colour I could go with.

On a separate note I was much less impressed with the (lack of) cubby hole space around the dashboard. Dashboard space on RTs (useful for maps, visor wipes, cameras, oil, drinks etc.) has been getting less and less from my K75RT onwards. Something very regrettable on what should be a "touring" bike.

The very useful QD tank bag has been lost also. . . . . .

Progress ? ?
  14. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Kind of an unflattering angle in that pic.

I'm unlikely to bite, as I have a "paid for" FJR. But I'm likely to go ride one, just for grins...then look for a 90th Anniversary camhead.

:rofl
  15. hammick

hammick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I bought my K1600GT because of the incredible engine and exhaust note. I sold it because it pulled hard to the left and had a very clunky drive train. After having the GSW for seven months I prefer the low end torque of the new boxer. If the drivetrain on the new RT is as good as the GSW it will take some people away from their K1600s.
  16. 9990

9990 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Near Philly, working from home & loving it
    I was just at the NY motorcycle show on Saturday, sat on the same bike. I can attest that it is indeed a dark red. The BMW booth guy told me it was the only one in the US currently. My guess is they brought over a European bike just to show off at the show.

So I believe that particular bike is a German/European unit, and so is one of the European colors not available in the US. But that's just a guess.
  17. 9990

9990 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Near Philly, working from home & loving it
    I will say it seems to me they've improved the bike. I already liked it, and they seem to have made it better. More comfortable without changing the ergos, better gauges that quite readable, better grips, lots of small things that add up.

I've (obviously) not ridden the new wet head motor in the RT chassis, but I have test ridden the water cooled motor in the GS, and they've definitely hot-rodded it compared to the last gen air/oil-cooled. (not news, just agreeing with the consensus). I can only imagine the new engine in the new RT will make the whole bike shine. Should be a terrific machine, can't wait.
  18. kltk1

kltk1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw the bike at the NY show yesterday. I thought the seat was surprisingly comfortable. Narrow in the front, wide in back. The storage cubbies in the fairing are incredibly small and I'm not sure they'll hold more than a pair of sunglasses, if that. There's also a large bump in the top left saddlebag that seems to take up quite a bit of space. I like it. Can't wait to ride one.
  19. Colorado_Rider

Colorado_Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    I like how they kinda kept the look of the air-cooled engines
  20. FlyingFinn

FlyingFinn Long timer

Oddometer:
    That might bacause it still IS mostly air cooled engine.