LED Auxiliary Lights

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sanjoh, Aug 5, 2010.

1. WindSailor

WindSailor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want the ones shown in the earlier picture!:clap

I"ll wait.

PM me when you get them ready and the prices set.:D

-Edit-

Can one dimmer / bypass handle both of those lights?

Thanks
    Rick
  2. SammyTheSlider

SammyTheSlider You have insufficient privileges to reply here

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I am looking at buying a set of lights shortly after the holidays. I ride a Honda 919 and its all on the highway. I was curious if two spot lights are best, or one spot and one flood? I was going to plan on getting two spot lights, but I figured that asking the "experts" first might save me some headaches.

thank you
  3. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Everyone's got one. Wait, isn't that Advrider's subtitle?
    Anyway, some think the wide/spot combo is the best of both worlds. The 44s, even though they are floods, on paper actually do better than the spots at any distance just because they have more lumens (the 60s better yet) My reason for having the lights is deer. I am very happy with my pair of 44s...Sanjoh has a great product and exemplary customer service...as they light up the ditches and the middle distance very well. I still dream of the range of high quality 6" driving lights so I could see animals 3-400 yards down the road, but my grasp of physics tells me this is nearly impossible with anything small enough that I would want to hang on a bike. Big reflectors will always outperform small ones. Life is a compromise.
    Definitely offroad the wide beams rock!
    Where I believe a spot has an advantage over a flood is that it doesn't light up reflective signs at the side of your vision as much. I believe my eyes may be more sensitive than others to this but I find anything bright in my peripheral vision kills my night vision (I even cover the blue high beam indicator on long trips!). Understand this is just me...I haven't found too many who share this opinion.
    So you need to light up the distance AND the ditches, without lighting them up so much that road signs are all that you can see? I am very keen to read the reviews on the new spots! It looks like they might be the answer.
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are on the list!

Yes, one dimmer can handle a pair of the lights.
  5. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:
    Dibs on the lower priced ones ;-)
  6. SammyTheSlider

Oddometer:

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your input! :beer
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think we can handle that:D
  8. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 here :freaky
  9. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not dodging those deer in the dark anymore----stock headlight is OK-------I want more---don't we all !!!!

The finished Install------Awesome !!!

I mounted these to a 2013 Husqvarna TR650 Terra
    Models 60's with the rotary dimmer.

[​IMG]

I mounted them to the Cycra Pro-bend handguards. The higher you mount these the better you'll be able to see.
    I've seen lot's of guy mount them down low to the fork tubes----I don't like that install.
    As an added benefit the wiring is much easier.

[​IMG]

Dimmer location -----this made easy access to the wiring.

[​IMG]

Without a bunch of blah, blah, blah, blah about lumens and density of light rays and a bunch of other technical bull that
    I am not smart enough to understand-------- let
    me just say they make daylight out of dark. I've got this same setup on my KLR.
    BigDog is a happy camper once again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    BigDog
  10. geotherm

geotherm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned light bar plans in a similar thread recently so I thought I'd post. I just got Sanjoh's lights last week and can't wait to try them out. Man..those Model 60's look awesome!

I used scrap aluminum flat bar I had in the shop, but a 1/4" x 1-1/2" x 24" pc can be purchased for less than $10(ebay has plenty of stock or local hardware store). The rest of the hardware ran me a little over $8(M6 bolts/1/4" alum tube for standoffs/etc.). For those not used to working with aluminum, I used my cordless grinder to cut/shape and then bench top sander to finesse. My cousin has the same bike and just spent $100 on the 'GS' light bar from Turkey, but I like the character/sturdiness of this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Nice work! One question: Why not use a single bar that is longer and mount the lights below it? The bar would be stronger, and simpler, and the lights would work the same.

BTW I have made a similar light bar for the 1100:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to make a bar for the R1200GS with a friend. I will post it here.

Jim :brow
  12. WindSailor

Oddometer:
    Good. I've got a GSA and really don't want to mount the aux lights to the crash bars - and I'm thinking the higher the better. So I am all ears on how this is going to work and if it will be adaptable to the GSA.

In my case I've got an aluminum plate underneath the beak that already holds my HID ballasts and my radiator fan for hot and slow days - that space is pretty much already taken up; to the point that I'm doubtful that a light bar will work with what area I have left. But I'm game to see it for sure, and other ideas too.
  13. geotherm

geotherm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jim - I'm still wet behind the ears with the gs. I originally thought I might need additional lights(spots/floods) down the road and would do an over/under scenario. I didn't want the over lights to be too close to the turn signals. That was before I found the ADVmonster Model 60s. They handle it all. This one is surprisingly sturdy, but I'm with you, the straight bar would probably be best way to go.

14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    On the GSA with the factory uppers there is no room for a bar. You can, however, attach them like I did some Kristas to a friend's GSA. Just use bar clamps and position them where you want right off the GSA upper bars. His has the stock fogs as well. I'll see if I can round up a photo or two.

Edit, here is what I have now.

[​IMG]

Maybe better later.

15. WindSailor

Oddometer:
    I hit Google hard last night searching on mounting alternatives for aux lighting situations on the GSA.

One of the hits was from here, which is interesting; R1200GS/GSA Hi-Mount Light Brackets

I like how these are mounted high and forward; not exactly sold on this yet - but good for discussion and another example or idea.

Here's a picture:

[​IMG]
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Here are a couple better GSA shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And with thanks to JVB's most excellent install, some available light patterns:

HID low:
    [​IMG]

HID/OEM fogs:
    [​IMG]

HID/Kristas (low power):
    [​IMG]

HID/OEM fogs/Kristas (low power):
    [​IMG]

HID Low/High beams/OEM fogs/Kristas full blast:
    [​IMG]
  18. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    I really like those, but it appears they're no longer in business.
  19. WindSailor

Oddometer:
    Yea... the previous links were no longer valid, but I PM'd the guy to see if he had a few left. I'll let you know if I get a response.

Here's the front:

[​IMG]

This shouldn't be too hard to make - the only thing that worries me now is how to make them adjustable enough to be truly useful.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

Hey,

How is the wine fridge? :lol3