Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Similar occurrences before this.
    Being a member of a Band can be almost as dangerous as being a cop or politician.

Sometimes, bands have 'sponsors' or fans, and if a different group of 'sponsors' or fans don't like the band's 'sponsor', there's fallout to the band.

If you get my drift...
  2. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    Family Guy last night had this...
    It reminded me of your post.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Aj5L4tjzKHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  3. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Pretty good, but needs more gratuitous cleavage.

:lol3 anyways.

That show and South Park disgust me, but I sure find them funny.
  4. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    T-Pilot

I forgot what a great asphalt ride Baja is - working up a short piece for BMW magazine in case they need filler. I have been doing pull ups since elementary school... the secret, start with one, then tow then three... you get it. My daughter can do 7, very impressive guns, needed help on her first try.[

If you get to Loreto, the road to the Mission Javier road is now paved all the way, about 37 KM from Hwy 1; 7 km past the town. I have been to the mission via some of the worst trails and, some decent two-track and the old graded road, never had the time to take in the scenery. Lots of water on the Peninsula, it is green and as beautiful as I've seen it in a long while. Must see for a first timer.

Might be coming through the back way from San Jaunico - might bump into you ??? QUOTE=tricepilot;20594185]Not too far behind you, taking a bud out there on pavement. Might run into DaFoole.[/QUOTE]
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Notice the last paragraph. The one about how it's not uncommon for bands to get hit because the play narcobanda music.

Tragic, yes, but $10US says there is indeed a connection to the drug wars.

They played for the wrong drug lord, they refused to play for a drug lord's party, they played in a bar that someone had a financial interest in, or they pissed off someone somehow else. If you find a gringo moto tourist in that mass grave then let us know, but I am betting that it won't happen.

PS --

Like Mark said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  6. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    Great ! Looking forward to riding some more of your route !

I take it that is one of the 5 haciendas south of Guadalupe Victoria.....

Today's climb up out if the warm lowlands was a treat. Cooler temps are a nice change.
  7. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. Going all Thurston Howell on this one I see :deal
  8. ztrab

ztrab Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just did the 36 miles from Hwy 1 at Chappala to Alphonsia's on Jan 20 fully loaded with my wife on back. No real sand there, though the washboard and loose shale the last few miles was annoying enough that I took the lateral road to the west, nice packed sand 3rd gear 45 + no problems, but I was on a GS not a super ternary.

Coco was getting his eyes fixed in Mexicali when we came through there a week before but we stopped for the obligatory photo op anyway. There is someone there to sell you a beer or soda po, sign in, etc. Maybe he is back by now, i forgot to ask when he was due back.
    [​IMG]

Then pressed on to Alphonsia's

[​IMG]

I parked in my Baja Miguel only parking (okay Crashmaster gets to park up there too), though I wouldn't try this unless you have Antonio's blessing

[​IMG]

The road from San Felipe is now paved within 3 miles and Alphie's boys have remodeled the south wing, looking mighty good, with AC units in all the rooms for this summer.........
    If you're looking for sand, try running out to Asuncion Bay on the Vizciano peninsula.......

[​IMG]
  9. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    He's known for tossing nickels around like they were manhole covers. :lol3
  10. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    $125 per 3 day pass + 25 for bike parking, 50 for cages. That gets you a seat in the Turn 15 Reserved Grandstand overlooking the most technical part of the track. And access to the VIP club in the main grandstand. Tix are fairly well sold out now. I got some of the last pairs in Turn 15.

These prices reflect my holding of a Personal Seat License and are not available to the unwashed masses. Unless they're my friends. :freaky
  11. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't keep up with this language. :rofl
  12. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    I think about that from time to time. The bus, not the town. The town I think about a lot. I know I said, after the ride up and back, that I'd seen it and wouldn't go back, but I just might have been full of crap on that one.

Trice: How on earth did you miss that bus??

Schizz: Dunno. I was too skeered to look.
  13. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Ten buck$ is a whole bucket of beer at some of these joints ;)

14. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    The princely sum reflects my feelings that it's. PROBABLY state police or Federales, but I wasn't going to stick my neck - or wallet - out too far ;)

Regardless, the fact that the gunmen let the rider go with a smile indicates that they weren't looking for moto tourists.

Wonder if there are cartel couriers on motorcycles?

15. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    My vote is that they were vigilantes. Probably not cartel. Not LE.
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Makes sense to me. If, in fact, they have machine guns then it sounds like they came from someone's supply, like the state police, that Army arsenal across from the airport in Reynosa, or (and here's a good thought) the Southern Cartel is organizing the vigilantes.

I notice that Arte and Andres have the good sense not to comment but I am actually feeling better about riding down there, to tell y'all the truth.

17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hektoglider, don't forget that heads up about the weather. By tomorrow afternoon, Wednesday, it is going to be blowing about 60 to 70 kmh sustained and gusting to around 100kmh, a real norte. It will come in fast around noon or so and last only one day, in fact, it should be much better on Thursday morning along the coast. Try to avoid heading towards the coast on Wednesday, stay inland. If you make it south of Oaxaca watch out along the Isthumus of Tehuantepec, it will be blowing harder there on Thursday as it spills out into the Gulf of Tehuantepec after crossing from the Gulf of Mexico.
    A typical norte weather event for here.
    It is also going to cool off quite a bit for a day or so, Thursday it will be chilly for sure above 7,000ft.
    That's the weather, now back to the news.
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Then go do it, and post pics
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Mayte Carranco :raabia
  20. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    SR, good one!