Need help with RM80 drive issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eviltwin, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Eviltwin

Eviltwin Lurker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a cheap (and now I know why...) 2001 RM80 for the gf's 12y/o, I knew it needed some work but figured it can be a good learning experience for him.

The bike will start and run, but when you shift into gear nothing happens... We drained the oil and pulled the clutch side case and the clutch plates seemed pretty worn. Purchased and replaced the clutch plates and clutch springs, and when rotating the wheel and watching things, operation seemed normal. In neutral it just spun as it should and when shifted to first, it seemed like it was moving the piston. Sealed it back up, started it up, shift into first and nothing....

Before I open up the other side, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Andy
  2. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sprocket splines gone?

I doubt that but take a look, many of those bikes were ridden to the ground.
  3. Eviltwin

Oddometer:
    Thanks Navin, but the splines are good... I put a new chain on as well and checked both sprockets. No play in the shaft and when bike is off and you put in gear, moving the front sprocket moves the piston... It almost seems like something in the gear case is stripped and when power is applied it just spins and doesn't catch. I don't get not finding metal in the oil though....
  4. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    The clutch pressure plate is probably scrod. Try adding and exrta old plate and see if it holds. Be careful, it probably will not disengage.

My kids raced RMs for awhile, the clutch basket/p-plate is made of a really weak butter like substance. Hinson basket and IIRC they make a PP too, with new plates is the real fix but it may cost more than you bought the bike for.

You replaced the steels and frictions? And soaked the plates in oil for a few hours too? Non automotive oil, wet clutch friendly oil?

If the trans shifts thru the gears I'm betting it is in the clutch where your problem lies. Free play at the lever too?
  5. Eviltwin

Oddometer:
    Yup, Hinson basket and pressure plate cost more than I paid for bike.... :eek1

I did replace both the steels and frictions, used correct oil, and soaked for about an hour before installing. Unfortunately I just threw out the old plates today so I can't add the additional plate.. Ugh...

One thing that did seem odd though, on the back side of the pressure plate there were two needle bearings stacked on top of each other. Parts diagram only seems to show one. Does this sound familiar?
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has been a long time since I was in one of those. With the cover off you should be able to see the plates move in and out. One very real possibility is the fingers are pounded and the plates are getting stuck on them causing them to slip. The notches are caused by the drive plates slamming the soft basket. You can file the fingers smooth again for a play bike scrapper. I'd be looking there next. If it ever does move you would feel the clutch lever releasing to grabbing/slipping. Not a smooth engagement and hard to even start from a stop.

If that is the case, you may have glazed the plates already. Rub them across some light emery and give them a good soaking again.

Take a look at where the bearing sits. I doubt you could have an extra jammed in there but you never know what the last guy did. Maybe he stacked a pair of smaller ones that are interfering with the basket to drive gear? It should all snick nicely together with the gears fully meshed.
  7. MCCOYBOY

MCCOYBOY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There should only be one needle bearing. I'm assuming you have some free play in the clutch lever? With the bike on a stand and running will the rear wheel move when you put it in gear?
  8. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
  9. Eviltwin

Oddometer:
    That's what I printed for the 12 y/o as a reference guide... :1drink

Item #14 is what there is two of, with the rollers facing each other. I couldn't tell if that was two pieces or not, but it looks like one...

The fingers are a bit grooved, I'll file them down but I also think I am going to try and use only one bearing...
  10. Eviltwin

Oddometer:
    That's what I thought....

There is free play in lever...

I did not try having the bike running on a stand, only on the ground. I'll try that tomorrow. I assume that if the tire moves when off the ground (no resistance) it point to clutch?

Thanks,
    Andy
  11. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    What does it do without the engine running? Does clutch engage and disengage? Can you shift through all the gears and the transmission seems normal?

Like bump starting? Is that possible?
  12. Eviltwin

Oddometer:
    Without the engine running, you can run through the gears and it seems normal. With the engine running it also seems like you can shift though the gears but it just doesn't move the bike.
  13. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 The only easy day was yesterday...

Oddometer:
    If the output shaft was sheared you would think it would grind a bit at least. You should be able to see what the problem is with the clutch with the cover off and the motor not running.