Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by JimmieA, Nov 12, 2012.

1. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was having problems between a 2010-11 F650GS, a new v-strom 650... And had pretty much started scanning the classified for the BMW, and then i stumble on this....

I'm a fairly big guy at 6'1, 200lbs, so the size worries me a little. I'd need to sit on it. But from the reviews so far, of which there are painfully few, it looks like this is a cheaper option for what i need which is going to work and general pottering around the city.

I like the look of the nc700x, and would appreciate the storage. From a walk around video i saw on you tube, it looks like for the 2013 model, it is available with abs and a regular manual gearbox (one can see the abs pick up inside of the front and read brake discs, along with a clutch lever and lack of -+ buttons on the left handlebar), but its 2 grand more expensive, and with skiing, scuba, a merc and two kids, thats money needed elsewhere.

The agony of choice.....again!
  3. R22B

R22B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like we're in the same boat.

I've been researching for a while now on what to pick up. I cross shopped the F650GS as that's my ideal bike, but parts and labor would be a bit too rich for my blood. Considering I'll be 90% tarmac, I really don't "need" the capability that the BMW has.

I love everything the NC700X is. I really dig the motor, the low center of gravity... but the lack of ABS on the standard trans is a deal breaker. Seeing as I commute to work on a lot of back roads in stop and go traffic with tons of wild animals jumping from the tree line - ABS would be nice. As far as I'm aware, the NC700X still doesn't have ABS with the manual trans in the US. It does everywhere else in the world, though :cry (Ninja Edit) Just realized you're from north of me. If you guys have it... I can only hope 2014 models have it but it may be too late for me by then

I love the functionality of the Wee, but I'd have to put a paper bag over it to ride it.

The CB500X is my third choice, but seeing as ABS will be available with the standard trans - that's where I'm putting all my eggs on now. No pricing details are available, though. However, if the "rumored" prices are somewhat true ($6000ish base model), I can put a few bucks on some nice accessories.
  4. fragile_this_side_up

fragile_this_side_up Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats why I started my thread cb vs nc. I think most of us are in the same boat. For me its nc cb or used wee..
  5. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    The ABS is standard on the euro bikes, not sure if it's a cost-option in the USA and Canada.

I think all bikes here have to be ABS-equipped after 2017 or so.
  6. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Take a look at the MCN vid in the Road Warriors thread; the tester is 6'1" on the R version.

The X has a higher seat, longer suspension, and wider bars. I think you should be fine.
  7. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:

This was the walk around on the canadian bike, do a google search for exactly this, and it the first video. Red bike.

2013 Honda NC700X - Walkaround - 2012 Toronto

Clearly shows the abs pick-up ring and manual transmission.
  8. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So unless i can get a used bmw f650gs for the same price as a cb500x, its going to be a tough choice come spring (winter here being several months long has given me the luxury of sitting on my fat a$$ and watching you tube and reading reviews)....
    I know, before you cry and moan, that they are different bikes meant for different things, trust me, those months on my a$$ have taught me that, and a while lot more... I like the look and capability of the adventure bikes. I like the ride position etc... The fact that it can go off road is of little importance to me, nice but not the highest thing on the list. The roads in montreal are woefully bad, so thats about as off road as its ever going to get.
    The cb500x is looking good right now, although i have never sat on it, but i can forgive a lot when the machine machine brand new is still way cheaper than what my heart wants! I may do this for a couple of years, and then go for a F700gs.
  9. fragile_this_side_up

Oddometer:
    Just received from my local dealer:

Hello Joey, I just thought I would shoot you a quick email. I just
    ordered the first of the CB500X models and am expecting to start receiving
    those the middle to end of May.
  10. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    Did they give you any info on list price? Someone somewhere has to know what Honda is going to charge for these. :ear
  11. fragile_this_side_up

Oddometer:
    Thats what I asked. waiting on response.

edit: they still have not released pricing to him.
  12. apsuperdave

apsuperdave Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canada is $6799 with ABS as standard.
  13. LoneWolfRides

LoneWolfRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hearing rumors that there will be 400cc version for some markets! But with the 500 already selling in the south Asian market don't know who would be looking for a lighter on the fuel bill variant.

Maybe its just a rumour..lol

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some Asian markets have cc restrictions.......400cc is a break point in the engine size and rider licence restrictions
  15. theloop

theloop Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like there could be cb400 models only for the Japan market.
    http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/cdbhk231/9775322.html
  16. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Again, local licencing laws.

Japan has a long history of 400cc and their full bike licence is notoriously hard to achieve.

I really don't get why some USA Inmates don't realise there are other continents on the face of the earth, with other requirements.

I'll stfu up now, because I'm bored of myself and it'll get punted to JM.
  17. R22B

R22B Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Because we only know 'MURICA. ;)

Vettel - You're absolutely right. I was on Honda Canada's website (http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/nc700xa/specifications) and you guys get ABS with standard trans.

Looks like I'll be holding out this year and seeing what Honda US does.
  18. fragile_this_side_up

Oddometer:
    mine will be non abs.. at least, if i buy the first one my dealer ordered. hehe.
  19. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbr250r

I've got 8k miles on my CBR250R. Yes, I love to wring it's neck just like I like to wring my woefully underpowered 2001SE Miata's neck. However, in both cases while doing so, other than straight line acceleration or fast freeway, on a back road, I have to be careful to choose my spots. Either one on the boil hitting the fuel cutoff, and you are going way faster than your average redneck in a pick-up.

To average 50-51 mpg on a CBR250R is awesome. You are pushing the little beastie as hard as it can be pushed.

I was just looking at a V-Strom Adventure yesterday. The CB500X is most intriguing. Loved the photos earlier in the thread with the 1950's Harley guys. I'm also considering a 250 dual sport.

One comment I'll throw in is that the CB500X is made at the same Thai factory as my CBR250R. This was Honda's first factory outside Japan and started production in the 1960's. I suspect the flooding in Thailand delayed the release of the CB500X. From my CBR250R I can attest the quality standard at that factory is world class. When I look at my CBR250R, I never think "looks cheap", quite the opposite.

Finally, I think Honda is ahead of the curve with it's new line up of fuel efficient bikes. We are in and will continue further down the era of diminished lifestyle expectations. Thirty years ago a big V-Twin would get double the mpg of a typical family hauler. Now, a new Elantra damn near gets what that big V-Twin gets while hauling four people in air conditioning.

Despite diminished living standards (the vast majority needs to tighten their belts so the top 1% can corner ever greater share of the pie and buy those 250 foot mega yachts), there's always going to be the guy in his 40's and up who says I've done for others enough, time for me now. He wants brand new, low maintenance and low running costs. So, instead of a two seat sports car, or a huge V-Twin, maybe it will be a two wheel vehicle and if it's practical, or close, he can more easily get the old lady on board and save up for the big V-Twin later on.

For a young guy who either goes car less or goes beater (like my '89 Accord LXi with 265k miles and runs like a clock) and bike, the CB500X has to look interesting with it's great mileage and range.

Like I said, I think Honda has seen the future and I think everybody else will have to play catch up.
  20. dduelin

dduelin Prone To Wander, Lord, I Feel It

Oddometer:
    I saw the 500X at Daytona this weekend and it was priced at $6000. The rep said the price on the X was still subject to change until Honda officially announces it, this is unofficial as it still is not on the US website.

Nice looking bike with good build quality.