Safari Tanks

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by JPDenny, Dec 11, 2012.

1. JPDenny

JPDenny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm shopping for a bigger fuel tank for my WR450F, there are several choices, my question is, has anyone regretted getting the big 6 gal tanks? I have read that the extra weight can affect handling, so I'm trying to choose between a 4 or 6 gal. Thoughts?:ear
  2. deepcdiver

deepcdiver Nobody Special

Oddometer:
    I never understood that "more weight" logic. The two tanks empty will be insignificant weight difference between them, and when riding you will usually only add as much as you will need for the next leg of your trip. Just because you have 6 gallon capacity you won't always fill it to the brim when getting gas. Also the largest tanks usually carry fuel lower down, so your bike with the 6 gallon tank carrying 3 gallons will handle better than a smaller tank carrying three gallons. And it will handle better with 6 than a smaller tank that is full + a Jerry can lashed to the back seat equalling 6 gallons.

If you are concerned about fuel sloshing around violently in the rough stuf and upsetting your balance, then buy some tank foam from Summit Racing, cut it into blocks and stuff it in the tank, problem solved with almost no reduction in carrying capacity.

Go big.
  3. BigToad

BigToad The Bone Destroyer

Oddometer:
    On my XR650R I bought the 6.3 gallon acerbis tank. Its great for long trips however when I trail ride etc its size is a pain in the ass, particularly when full. You can manage that by just filling less when required, however you still have a big wide tank to deal with. I went with the 3.2 and enjoy the bike much much more, however i still put the 6.3 on for major trips! 3.2 is a little small, but perfect for most of my rides....but honestly I wish I had a tank around 4 - 4.5 which would give a bit more in reserve for getting home.

For day trips my advice would be to go for the four gallon tank...for longer trips 6 gallons is the way to go. 6 gallons definitely effects handling compared to stock....if you go for 6 make sure to set the bike up for the extra weight.

have fun!
  4. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree with the above comments and will add one of my own.

I installed a 25L Safari tank on my buddies 630 Husky. That had to be one of the best fitting accessories I have ever installed. Well designed and everything fit better than stock.
    It also made that particular bike look better than the small stock tank.

Cheers
  5. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    It's that damned price tag that gets me. Twice the going price of the 5.3 liter ones that are made for the DR650...

Yet I hate stopping for gas "to early" when the riding gets going good...
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get the 4 gallon tank and ride with a good friend who has a 6 gallon monster tank in case you run low! :)
  7. Tooltech

Tooltech Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://s1222.beta.photobucket.com/user/tooltechstw/library/

This is my 2013 KTM 500 EXC with the 19L tank. Now I have a 250 mile range which is great for adventure riding. The handling with all 5 gallons aboard is " slowed " down compared to the standard 2.5 gallon tank. With the larger tank only filled with 2.5 gallons the handling is better due to the lower and wider center of gravity. Another benefit is the increased radiator protection the 19L tank provides.:clap
  8. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the 4.3 on my XRR, and it's been enough fuel for me. I did get nervous once and ran reserve longer than I wanted, but it was my fault because the route we picked bypassed a lot of fuel stations. I didn't plan any stops, figured we'd just run into something.
  9. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Safari product are top notch and the weight never really bothered me. The width on the other hand caused me to remove the tank. I like to be able to squeeze the bike with my knees and the width and angle of the tank didn't allow it.