The 2012 CRF250L thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by dfhmotor, Nov 10, 2011.

1. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to see the factory supermotard version and hope it makes it to the states. The dual-sport is a little too heavy for dirt use, imo, but shines as a commuter. The supermotard will make it an even better city commuter and that extra weight on the street isn't the handicap that it is in the dirt.
  2. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would guess Honda won't bring it to the US. I don't think they sold many of the 230cc version here. That would be too bad, as I like the SM models myself.
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll ask this question here, since it might be considered "blasphemy" in the "owner's thread." :lol3

Today I got my first chance to sit on a CRF250L. The saddle height is perfect for me, and I was impressed with many features of the bike. However, even with a perfect saddle height, the bike seemed to me to be a little top heavy. Has anyone compared the "top heaviness" of the CRF250L to either the KLX250S or the WR250R? I'm interested in knowing if one bike will tip over more easily in slow tight quarters, as well as knowing how well each bike handles at faster speeds.

Spud :beer
  4. trainman

trainman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spud Rider, if you have read any of the reviews on these bikes you will know your answer. Most reviews said that the Honda felt lighter then the actual weight that it was, 320lbs.

John
  5. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    SPUDRIDER:

I agree with John, all of the road tests had NO mention of topheavy on on these bikes. It WAS noted that the CRF front tire would wash out on pavement and especially offroad. Just like the crap tires on my KLR650. If your preference is offroad, a dunlop 606 on the front is probably a good choice. If you're into mostly onroad pavement and graded gravel roads, I went to Shinko 451(I think) on my KLR, and they are nice, and will go thru some pretty crappy stuff...which I generally try to avoid on my KLR. Although considered a 70/30 pavement/offroad tire, I find it in a lot of cases grippier on gravel than a 606. My ride bud has a WR250R with shinkos all around, and it will go thru almost any kind of loose stuff...as long as it's dry. Also...Shinkos are 40 some $$
  6. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Top heavy" isn't a bad thing. If you were balancing a broom in your hand, which end would you put up? The heavy end. All my bikes have handled better and felt more stable with a full tank of gas than empty.
  7. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I've read almost all of the reviews, John. Thank you for reminding me. :D

8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Ed. Have you had a chance to ride your friend's WR250R? Is so, how does the Honda carry it's weight relative to the Yamaha?

9. DirtyBlackIrish

DirtyBlackIrish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started looking around after I read this. I haven't found anything saying they must be amber or separate yet. Fact is some of the new trucks on the road only have red on our fleet vehicles. As for other laws I have no idea. I bought this light after my research. We'll see what happens.
  10. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spud: Yes, have several hundred miles on the WRR (significantly modified suspension)...so far I have several FEET on my CRF riding from the front yard after unloading it from the truck, into my garage. The CRF is not tall or tippy.

Having said all this, today I went to the Cleveland motorcycle show today. Sat on lots of bikes. The CRF and the KLR650 were the only two bikes there that allow YOU to decide where your ass will be on the seat...everything else locked you into essentially one position. I HAVE made a proper decision buying this thing. Also...sat on a STOCK WR250R...tall, tippy, nasty, and if you think the CRF seat is ass-unfriendly, don't even get close to the WRR. With the WRR you are perched on top of what I consider an unpleasantly stiff top heavy bike, with a seat like an oak plank. My buddy has spent $$$$ to make his WRR much less tall, hard and nasty than stock.
  11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Ed. :D I always enjoy reading your helpful, insightful posts. :nod

12. positron007

positron007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First post. I think I have made up my mind to get this bike. Started reading through this thread but many more pages to go. For me the first thing I will be doing is -1 on the front cog, manrack and jerry can. Is their a larger PLASTIC tank for this bike
  13. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMS is reported to be working on a larger, plastic fuel tank for this bike. The IMS fuel tank is rumored to be available in late February, or March of this year.

14. positron007

positron007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I'll keep an eye out for that
  15. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    It took me almost 7 weeks to get 620 miles on mine, due to weather. Today, as I went by the bank, it was 52, almost paradise. It hadn't even been started in two weeks, but fired right up. Anyway, the engine is loosening up, and feels like it's revving quicker. The brakes are waaaaaay better. If it wasn't for what I read up on, I probably would have hit the guy ahead at the first red light. Not sure how many miles it took for the brakes to get better, but I was braking when not needed, to seat them in better (keeping an eye in the mirrors, people behind you aren't expecting you to do that, so I went where there was no traffic). I'll bring it to the dealer for the 600, tossing them a bone, as it were. After that, I'll probably do all the upkeep on it myself. Did a lot of research on which DS I would get, this one's a keeper.
  16. gnath9

gnath9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to ride mine either ... -23 wind chills here today. I picked it up in November and got just over 300 miles on it so far. :cry
  17. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cycle News did a comparison of the three, Japanese, 250cc, dual sport motorcycles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's nice to have choices. Each of these three bikes will appeal to different riders, based upon their preferred riding. :deal However, everyone agrees the CRF250L is an exceptional value. :wink:

18. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that Spud, seems they will be able to sell all the ones they bring here. If someone I knew, asked for my advice on which one, it would be the red one, even though technically, I've never ridden the other two. Looking like Suzuki ought to step up to the plate soon, or miss out on a lot of market share.................
  19. irdhwy2

irdhwy2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone know where I can get a swivel shifter for this bike?
  20. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think both Best Dual Sports Bikes, and CRFonly have them.