H4 conversion for Baja Designs Racelight, ready to ship

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Boatman, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JohnnyAirtime

JohnnyAirtime Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This light will be going on Craigs List or Ebay soon...

Let me know if there's any interest here (via PM)... and I'll send you back the info.

:wink:
  2. WNDPWR

WNDPWR FarmRider

Oddometer:
    From the website it looks like the complete light from Cyclops is based on the TT conversion which means no back cover. Is this correct?

Also, @Boatman, this may be a stupid question but will this conversion work regardless of which Baja Design 8" race light I have? Halogen or HID?

Thank you!
  3. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Correct, Cyclops only sells a complete Trail Tech conversion. And the TT setup does not have any rear housing. They were working on some sore of cover but I don't know how far it has progressed.

My conversion for the Baja Designs Racelight will work whether you have halogen or HID, the housings are the same.

I have these in stock and ready to ship.
  4. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Bump again,,,,

Spring is here and I've been getting inquiries asking if these are still being produced.... Yes they are!!
  5. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just a bump for Boatmans excellent product. I've used the Baja Designs with Boatman conversion for nearly a year now, but only got to use it at night recently.

I used this rather than the trailtech product because it seems that the plastic bucket would give me a more robust unit, and somewhere to run some of the wiring thru.

Mine has the left dip for NZ / UK etc driving. The Hella insert is cheap here, & I opted for the toughened light unit, so likely won't opt for the headlight protector.

I've boosted the light to a 90/140w unit with upgraded wiring & relays, & big alternator. Good light when you need it. The ability to adjust the light on the run is excellent. I run a 25w Halogen in the pilot slot (light in this picture).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  6. tallrider

tallrider Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Big Dom,

Nice idea on modifying the light. I never thought of that.

I have been running the HID in my setup mostly. So far have not aggravated any motorist so will continue with that for awhile. If it becomes a problem I will use your approach. Thanks for posting.

JP
  7. Lnspltrs

Lnspltrs n00b

Oddometer:
    Are these still available?
  8. Boatman

Oddometer:

Yes,, available and ready to ship.

I also replied to your PM.
  9. Boatman

Oddometer:
    Bump,,,, been getting PM's lately asking if these are still available.

Yes, they are.
  10. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Just found this thread after seeing it mentioned in the Husky TE-610 thread. :clap

I recently bought a TE-610 that came with the 8" BD headlight only and although I like the light output when I need it, I really hate not having a low beam. I keep the light pointed low as to not blind on coming drivers, but on a back road when I need the light, that just gets annoying. I have really been on the fence about replacing this light with something else as I just wasn't happy with this setup, but this conversion might be exactly what I need.

So I assume with the H4 conversion, you get a proper low beam cutoff? With the high beam, do you get a bit more wider beam and is the light output still pretty good? It appears the stock BD beam although shines very far is pretty narrow also and doesn't really illuminate the side of the road very well to watch for animals.
  11. Boatman

Oddometer:

Take a look at the first post for pics of the illumination. The pic of the low clearly shows the the cutoff and the hi shows the spread.
  12. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Thanks, I took a closer look and I like what I see. :clap
  13. Boatman

Oddometer:

While the retrofit of an H4 bulb in an 8" reflector will allow you to use a hi/low bulb you do not get the true hi beam and low beam. The lens of an H4 reflector is cut to give you the cut off for low beam. On low beam all that will happen is the light output will be cut by 5-20watts (depending on the bulb) but will have full dispersement just like the stock 8" desert style reflector with no low beam cut-off. Hi beam will be pretty much the same as the stocker. The pattern of the beam will also depend on how you arrange the bulb in relation to the reflector.

[​IMG]

I know you mean well by posting your discovery in my Vendors thread but I produce these conversions for people that need an approved light to be street legal. This is the Vendors Section, if you feel so passionate about your modification please start a thread of your own in The Garage.

Thank you, Scott
  14. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Inmates: please read the posted rules in Vendors.. no thread shitting and no poaching by posting links to alternate vendors or "PM me for a better deal".. Start your own vendor thread.
  15. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Conversion kit is dead on! Went 1 step further with a 35 watt HID conversion high/low solenoid bulb and electronics off Ebay for $35.00. It fit perfect, great pattern and lumen output (basically, will melt steel at 30 paces), an unbridled success! Thanks for the kit!
  16. Rivera926

Rivera926 n00b

Oddometer:
  17. Boatman

Oddometer:
    As far as I know BD uses the same buckets for the dual as the single in which case they will be compatible.
  18. MitchG

MitchG Iron Collector

Oddometer:
    Moved my BD 8" c/w conversion and HID installed, from my TC450 to my newest "adventure bike", a converted HD XR 1200. Light is fantastic on the road as well! Thanks Boatman!
  19. Taranis

Taranis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. hahmule

hahmule Balding Gloriously

Oddometer:
    for my Baja designs light. PM payment info, thanks