Bike in a box. A winters project a Skyteam Ace

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Just Dan, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Just Dan

Just Dan Bugger, Burnt toast

Oddometer:
    Mine with the 150cc so far seems good with the 100 jet.
  2. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    After a decent ride this morning. I can confirm the 150cc kit has made a big difference in riding fun. If the 150 is this much fun, then the 250 must be a real hoot.

A few of my friends traveled to Europe for the summer. An rode their bikes around. Including the Manx GP at the IOM.

All they bought me back was this.:lol3

[​IMG]
  3. Alan_Vega

Alan_Vega n00b

Oddometer:
    Strange. I kept the side stand but I can easily bypass it by unpluging the 2 smaller sockets you can see on the picture.

I am a bit confused about these carb references. VM22 is 26mm carb ?
    They seem to be two version of this mikuni VM22, the one you sent (chinese copy ?) and the other one (real one I guess) ?
    Considering the stock carb is a Deni PZ26, chances are the spec are the same as the VM22, no ?
    Also do you have easy access on the air mixture screw on your carb ?

And that's a nice sticker...
  4. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the confusing world of the Chinese. There are two types of Mikuni. The real Japanese one that you linked, and the Chinese copy I have. The real one has the mixture screw on the side. Mine has the mixture screw underneath and is bit fiddly, but can be reached with a small screwdriver.

It gets even more confusing as they call it a 26mm, but is really is a 22mm.

Chinese Mikuni
    [​IMG]
  5. bigbottomedanarchist

bigbottomedanarchist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Dan,

Your not leaving me with much of an option in the Ace horsepower wars.:evil
  6. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Hey Andrew, we have a shed of new 125 barrels an pistons. One has your name on it. I have given up trying to deal with Aliexpress. I come around and you can take mine for ride
  7. Alan_Vega

Alan_Vega n00b

Oddometer:
    Since it is a 22mm venturi size carb, it is the same size as the original deni one, no ?

I found this one today. Looks like the stock deni pz26 but one size bigger.
  8. Brissybiker

Brissybiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all, just became a member and have enjoyed reading this thread especially!
    I bought a skyteam ace 125 about 1 month ago and am modding it.
    I have put a 150 barrel kit on,got some decent rear suspension units and a real mikuni carb.
    Thanks to all for some valuable info. :clap
  9. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard team Skyteam. Doesn't the 150 make the little ACE go a lot better ?
  10. jackytwoshoes

jackytwoshoes n00b

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

Plenty of pre-built ones on ebay, but does anyone know if you can get one of these in a crate delivered in the UK?
  11. ACEitup

ACEitup n00b

Oddometer:
  12. Brissybiker

Brissybiker n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks dan!
    Yes dan, my engine still only has about 100 k on the rebuild and I'm looking forward to it spinning a little freer.
    I always felt , even in original form, that the engine was way over constricted by the emission control and cat.
    The very first things I did were to ditch the cat and get all the restrictions off it.
    I hacked the exhaust and dug out the cat and put a 16mm drill bit up the exhaust !
    I found this wasn't enough and have drilled 8x5mm holes at the very end of the exhaust around the central exhaust outlet!
    This has really made a big difference to the flow of exhaust gas and the note of the bike!
    It now sounds like a little thumper!
    Tyres: I ditched the originals and put Pirelli City Demons on.
    They perform well and the bike really hangs on well on the twisties now.

I'm still trying to work out the photo attachment procedures and will post pics when I've sorted that out.

One thing I will say is that the 125 ace straight out of the crate is a rubbish performer.
    As a learner bike it is too underpowered and I think dangerous.
  13. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I would not recommend one of these as a first bike. Awfully slow out of the crate. Also awkward to ride until you get use to it.

I have had the 150 in for a few weeks now, an still tinkering with the carb. I had a chat to a guy who races pit bikes and uses Chinese Mikuni's. He has put me onto the right track with the needle being to rich in the stock setup.

I have started with his recommended starting point of needle in the middle and increasing the main jet by a couple of sizes to 100. Also was recommended to not go any higher than 105. He was saying that the needle position does most of the adjusting on these VM's
  14. Ed_in_miami

Ed_in_miami Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer:
    Cool bikes. I hope the make it to the US some time soon.
  15. Lawson01

Lawson01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dan, loving the thread.
    I've had an ace for about 2months now, I've already installed ooracing's 303 tune up kit and the performance exhaust (they were right about saying it makes the bike sound like a 600cc bike)

I was just wondering if you or anyone else have changed the globe under the speedo for something a bit brighter.. I find it isn't very bright when riding at night. Does the top of the speedo cover just unscrew? I've tried to unscrew it, but don't want to break it...
  16. chuckactor

chuckactor n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow... it's like a total ripoff of the Honda Dream 50 I just sold.

[​IMG]

Chuck
  17. ojab79

ojab79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Awesome posts Dan, Thanks so much, I've learnt so much, you're a star!

But can anyone help me with some instructions on how to fit the ooracing performance silencer to my ace. I have the stock one on at the moment and I've been told I need to just cut off the old CAT and put the new silencer over the top, but where exactly do I cut it and do I need to use and adhesive in the join? How best do I make the bracket to fix the back silencer to the bike?

If i was to just cut out the cat of the original, how would i do this? Sorry, I'm a real novice, but keen to learn.

Any help would be gratefully received :-)

Also, how hard is it to fit ooracing stage 1 and 303 Kits (for complete novice?)

Thanks so much in advance all :-)
  18. Just Dan

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem as I ride mine as a going to work commuter in dark early morning. I was thinking of replacing the bulb with a LED one. There is a tiny screw holding the cover on and can be a bit awkward to refit.

On the original exhaust header under the engine. You will see two welds going around the pipe. The cat is in that whole section (About 150mm long). Align your new muffler up and see how far it goes a long the header pipe. A few mates here have just hacksawed the exhaust at the start of the cat an slipped a piece of tube to meet up with the muffler. Option two is to. Hack saw the header pipe in middle of the cat and dig both ends out and have the header pipe rewelded, as I did. you might have to make a bracket from the muffler to the frame.

I would not worry about the 303 kit. To replace the rear sprocket with a smaller one. You need to remove a link in the chain. An find the gearing is to tall and you cannot go back. I fitted a 1 tooth larger front sprocket. Much easier.

The main thing to remember is the standard deni carb is average at best and the needle can not be adjusted to take into account for opening the exhaust. Increasing the main jet is for going on full throttle. 1/2 to 3/4 throttle is done on the needle position.
  19. ojab79

ojab79 n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you Dan, I will give that a go and fingers crossed everything will be ok! I'll keep you posted :-)

I'd love to replace the carbie, but I think that is beyond my capabilities!!!

Thanks again!
  20. Lawson01

Lawson01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep exact same situation here. So I'm assuming the top plastic cover unscrews and then the needle slides up and all that's left is the two black screws holding the speedo plate on to access the bulb?