Got a nice knife? Let's see it.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Sniper X, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Hallwine

Hallwine Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sheffield, Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire
    No pictures as I am at work. I recently got a Grantors "small forest axe" very nice tool, so sharp it cut the sheath in the post! A few days after it arrived i was cleaning up in the tool shed and came across my fathers old felling/splitting/all purpose axe, which is at least 50 years in the family, yep its a Granfors, probably an American Felling axe to look at it.
  2. HardCase

HardCase winter is coming

Oddometer:
    That's interesting. I don't recall ever seeing a Gransfors axe until about 10-12 years ago. I know the company has been around forever, but don't know when they started selling their stuff in this country. Cool that you have one that's over 50 years old.
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:

I love this. Dimensions?
  4. tslewisz

tslewisz Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I was about to quote that and :tb ^^^
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    In keeping with the Scandinavian theme of the Gransfors axes, here are some knives I picked on a few trips to Sweden. All came ridiculously sharp.

The first is a nice little knife with a pretty part wood sheath. The handle is wood with bone, the blade is unpolished on top.

[​IMG]

The next is a Frost's of Sweden with a very nice wood handle, olive maybe?

[​IMG]

The next has what looks like a birch handle.

[​IMG]

The last is Finnish made, I was told it's a fighting knife, complete with blood groove. The handle is stacked birch bark.

[​IMG]
  6. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:

I would think a fighting knife would have some sort of guard?
  7. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    More of a shank with a plug :lol2
  8. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I've seen several other scandi fighting knives that do not have guards.
  9. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
  10. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    My gift to myself last year. After two years on the waiting list. Its a Kerry Hampton.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. HardCase

Oddometer:
    No, it's not the splitter which looks like a mini-maul. I think it's called the "outdoor axe" or hatchet. It is one that they introduced fairly recently. It has a very small head.

I have the hunter as well, bought it about 8 years back and have used it quite a bit. Have you ever used the rounded poll for skinning? I have and it works pretty slick.
  12. davsato

davsato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so its not a problem then?
    good, they have made a UK legal carry knife finally, that i like the look of (kiwi)
  13. Manuel Garcia O'Kely

Manuel Garcia O'Kely Back at last

Oddometer:
    Took the small splitting axe out for a test run today. Had a few rounds of aspen from a pruning project. I was really impressed with the results - these were 9-10" rounds and they were pretty easy to bust open.
  14. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    I haven't tried out the poll yet, maybe this fall if I'm lucky :)

That new one looks great but my next GB purchase will be the small forest axe.
  15. HardCase

Oddometer:
    Good luck hunting!!

Re the small forest axe, are you sure that's the one you want? The reason I ask is that it is very close to identical to the hunter's axe, with the only difference being the rounded poll on the latter, and a squared one on the former, and the hunter has the roughened grip. Same weight, same dimension as the hunter.

I have the Scandinavian Forest axe, it's a bit bigger, and have used that one more than any other......I am an addict.....but it certainly depends on how you intend to use it. The SF axe is good for limbing and small tree felling/thinning.
  16. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    Yeah Scandanavian forest axe is what I was thinking of, doh.

Here is what I have so far, Hunter(on the right) and wildlife hatchet:
    [​IMG]
  17. HardCase

Oddometer:
    Nice axes! I especially like that you laid them on your handloading bench to photograph them! :lol3 Looks like you're working up some rifle loads there. Gettin' ready for hunting season? Only a couple weeks away here.

The Scandinavian forest axe is great. It is midway between a full-sized axe like the American felling axe, which is pretty big and heavy, and a more typical hatchet. When I first got it several years ago I wasn't sure if I'd use it much, seemed kinda like the axe version of a taint. But as it has turned out, unless I'm planning to split big chunks of firewood or rounds, in which case a heavy axe or maul is in order, or fell a good sized tree, something that I almost never do......or fire up the chainsaw.....the midsized SF axe is great. It will do everything a hatchet will do and most of what a bigger axe would if you exclude the two heavy tasks I mentioned, splitting and felling. Limbing, small trees, even using like a knife in a pinch, it's just great. And I found that it carries almost as easily as a hatchet too, it's not all that heavy. Just a very handy tool. I own a chunk of raw land, an interesting combo of riverfront, wetland, woods and meadows, great wildlife habitat. I spend a lot of time just hanging around out there (20 miles from my back door) all four seasons of the year, and almost always have the SF axe with me when I do.
  18. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    jeesbus, someone stab a knife post in here before we lose this thread and it gets the axe :hide :lol3

[​IMG]
  19. HardCase

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Sorry about that! There used to be an axe or hatchet thread a couple years back, but it didn't last too long. Maybe I'll go hunt for it and bump it up.
  20. Apxgrndr

Apxgrndr In the snow

Oddometer:
    Angry Scot is right, lets get back to knives, here's a Tanto I made in a workshop, D2 steel mar quenched, really great day and I would love to do it again.
    [​IMG]

Definitely need an axe thread :)