Hayabusa owners sign in thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Jellyrug, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Tropical Bird

Tropical Bird From the front line

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heli bars installed. Genmar 19mm riser block to come.

SW-Motec fuel tank ring installed, with the small daypack bag I had used on another bike:

[​IMG]

I have also installed a Kaoko throttle lock - excellent - much better than a Throttlemeister (I tried one on my ZX14....awful) - installation was a snap, and it works perfectly without any adjustment.

[​IMG]

500 kilometres of excitement so far!

Magnificent engine - better than my B-King, in fact. Effortless, effortless GRUNT.

:evil

:clap
  2. Milar

Milar Life is an adventure.

Oddometer:
    T-Bird,

How would you compare and contrast the "Busa to your ZX-14?

M
  3. Tropical Bird

Oddometer:

Bus vs ZX:

The Bus has a better gearbox - much slicker.

The Bus has a better engine - the FI is smoother, and it has more grunt down low (my ZX was the 2nd generation, with the factory modified FI map - the Bus is still better.)

The Bus handles better - the steering is sharper. The ZX handles like a Mack truck if the front tyre pressure is 2 or 3 PSI too low....

The Bus fit and finish is much better than the ZX, which is rough in comparison. The bike seemed to be difficult to clean - surfaces tended to hold dirt more for some weird reason (I'm pedantic about my bike's appearance).

The ZX has better stock ergoes than the Bus - the bars are higher and closer to the rider. However, this is easily fixed on the Bus by Helibars and/or a handlebar spacer block (Genmar or Soupy). Moreover, the way the Bus' bars are configured gives you more options for improvement before you have to resort to MX style bars. The ZX only has 1 option with the stock bars - a genmar riser block, and that's it.

The ZX's front brakes are much better than the Bus, which feel wooden and lack bite. This is strange, because my B-King had good front brakes....and they were the same as the Bus. The Bus needs braided lines and better pads. That's really the only serious shortcoming, and it can be fixed easily. Still, Suzuki should have done it out of the box.

There is an enormous array of aftermarket goodies for the Bus. The ZX is restricted by comparison.

And, finally, the Bus looks better, IMHO.

:D
  4. Arkansas

Arkansas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most fun you can have on two wheels. It doesn't hurt that it has given me a few 200+ mph time slips.

[​IMG]

-justin
    MrTwister1 likes this.
  5. 71olds

71olds Motorholic

Oddometer:
    No front brakes?? why?

Lake bed noob
  6. Glenngineer

Glenngineer Scooty Puff Sr.

Oddometer:
    Weight, and not a lot of people pulling out in front of you on a lake bed.
  7. Arkansas

Oddometer:
    This. You must have at least one brake as per the rules, so I ran the back one. Spread the pads before the first run and never touched them again.

-justin
  8. Jellyrug

Jellyrug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the color of your Busa, nice bike!!

Trying to figure out your passenger on the wooden chair?
  9. Jellyrug

Oddometer:
    Justin, what mods were necessary to get you past 200?

Nice pic.
  10. Tropical Bird

Oddometer:

Thanks.

The passenger doesn't say much....

:D
  11. Arkansas

Oddometer:

The salt adds a pretty significant variable in the available traction. I ran best 197 timed mile with a 199 gps my first time at Bonneville with a stock motor, stock header with no mufflers, power commander with out of the box tune, tre, and gearing of course. I had a PERFECT track, wind, temp, etc. One less tooth, a proper tune and any decent exhaust would have likely put it over 200 that day or most days on pavement.

I ran quite a bit faster this year, but I also brought 50 extra horsepower and a host of other mods. Consistent 200s regardless of the track conditions come with a significant price tag.

Body size plays a huge role as well. My dad was a consistent 8-10mph slower than me both years, and I guarantee he was twisting that throttle just as hard as I was! I'm 5'8, 170 while my dad is 6'2, 225.

-justin
  12. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Im Looking VERY Hard at a 99 in Copper. Genmar Risers, Yoshi Slip Ons, 20K miles for $4,500. Know the owner very well and have ridden the bike a bunch. Rides very well in near stock trim.
  13. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    Qwik, you need to jump all over that thing....if, at least, for the collector value. 99's were "the" Hayabusa, and the copper is classic. The bike was actually painted to match the natural markings of the peregrine falcon for which it was named. Like the '77 black and gold (Special Edition) Trans-Am's, most people beat the shit outta' the original specimens. So, if you can talk an owner out of a nice, well-kept machine...well, I wouldn't let the opportunity pass.

IMHO, they all do. That is the amazing thing about the 'Busa...it is extraordinary right out of the box.

If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't have done a damn thing to mine. I made the mistake of taking something that wasn't broke, and "fixing" it.

BTW, please post pics. if you acquire that '99.

14. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Its pretty much a done deal JJ
  15. Jellyrug

Oddometer:
    Nice find, post pics when you get it. Those are collector's items.
  16. Qwik

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This was taken in 04 in Strawberyy AZ. The GSXR1000 behind it is mine. The seller is an old and trusted friend. I went with him (I drove actually) in my truck to Denver to pick it up.
    [​IMG]
  17. Qwik

Oddometer:
    Hmmm Geico-$3400 a year, Progressive-$2800 a year, State Farm-$900 a year. Sheesh I guess Im changing insurance carriers
  18. GotMojo?

GotMojo? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do Geico and Progressive include medical coverage? I don't think State Farm does, and that might be why they are so cheap... they just cover the bike.
  19. u wish u could ride

u wish u could ride SHELTON CONNECTICUT.

Oddometer:
    my 99 all stock .

Attached Files:

20. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ Forsaken

Oddometer:
    You guys with these pristine 99's are fuggin' killing me!!! :cry

Yep...best-kept secret in the motorcycle world, as far as I'm concerned. I've had all my bikes insured by them. When you hear Geico and Progressive talk about their "love" of motorcycles, what you ought to be hearing is that they surcharge anything that's not a 250cc beginner's bike.